SpinTunes #2

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company
Pronouns: he/him

SpinTunes #2

Post by Spintown »

I really wanted to wait until after the holidays, but a lot of people seemed to want to have another go around before the holidays. Soooo the judges have been selected, they are currently making the challenges, updated rules & schedules have been posted, and I just posted the sign up information for anyone who wants to join in this time. Everyone is welcome, we can have 10 or 50 people sign up. I think last time we had 31 sign up & there were about 70 songs created for the contest.

http://spintunes.blogspot.com/2010/09/s ... -page.html

Judges:
1. Kevin Savino-Riker - The current champion of SpinTunes.

2. Dr. Lindyke - Runner up in Masters Of Song Fu #6.

3. Jeff MacDougall - Runner up in Masters Of Song Fu #1 & TMA co-founder. (He lost to some nobody named Jonathan Coulton)

4. Zack Scott - YouTuber & amateur musician.

5. Glenn Phillips - I was part of the Nur Ein 3 winning band The Worldly Self Assurance, and I was a judge for Nur Ein 4. I have 15 Song Fight/Nur Ein wins under my belt as well (8 different bands).
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Re: SpinTunes #2

Post by Spintown »

UPDATE: So far 11 people have signed up, with another half dozen saying they plan on it. The judges have currently decided on 3 of the 4 challenges, and we are working on picking the last one.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

Deadline for sign ups is now past. 35 people/bands have entered the contest (4 more than last time), and the profiles of all the participants have been posted. So you can now see who you'll be competing with.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

The round 1 challenge has now been posted. (links to the examples are on the blog...I'm too lazy to copy them :p )

There's No Place Like Home - Write a song about YOUR hometown. (2 minute minimum) (your submission is due October 10th 11:59PM Sun EST)

You should use the name of the town in the song at some point. The town you pick can be your place of birth, where you grew up, or where you're living now; but it has to be someplace you have actually lived at some point in your life. If you once took a 2 week vacation to Florida...that does not count. We mean someplace you have roots of some sort.

Example:
One famous example would be "I Left My Heart In San Francisco". Here's 2 examples from one of our judges: "Here In Union" & "Killin' Time".
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

In your first post in this thread, you have a link that goes directly to the signup page. In your signature you have a variety of links. Nowhere in this thread do you have an actual link to the contest itself. Here ya go... http://spintunes.blogspot.com/
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

I just figured if they found the sign up page, they could find the rest. Thanks though.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

You can now download the round 1 album for free. We have 31 songs about hometowns.

http://spintown.bandcamp.com/album/spintunes-2-round-1
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

I don't know if anyone would like to shadow from here or not, but I figured I'd post the round 2 challenge here as well.

The Musician Strikes Back - We want you to write a sequel. A song that picks up where another famous song left off. (2 minute minimum) (they had 8 days)

We are going to define "famous" by making you pick a song that has at some point been on Billboard's Top 20 for at least 1 week. This gives you a lot of options while making it easy for the judges to say if your song was "famous" enough.

Examples Of Songs With Sequels:
"Peggy Sue" & "Peggy Sue Got Married " by Buddy Holly
"It's My Party" & "Judy's Turn To Cry" by Lesley Gore
"Space Oddity" & "Ashes To Ashes" by David Bowie

There were more details that were not covered in the original challenge. For instance, you do not have to match the style of the original song. If you decide to do that, be careful not to plagiarize the original tune.

Us can use Billboard lists from different countries & different genres. And you have to use a singles list. You can't pick an albums list & take a song from a popular album. The song itself has to be on a singles chart.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Spintown wrote: "Space Oddity" & "Ashes To Ashes" by David Bowie
don't forget peter schilling's "major tom (coming home)" which is actually a sequel by a different artist!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

That's a better example than the 3 I mention then. Thanks.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

The round 2 album is posted. You can listen to all the songs for free & vote on the blog (2nd link).

http://spintown.bandcamp.com/album/spintunes-2-round-2

http://spintunes.blogspot.com/2010/10/s ... songs.html
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

http://spintunes.blogspot.com/2010/11/s ... -adam.html

It's all over, the new SpinTunes champion has been decided. SpinTunes #3 won't be until after Nur Ein 6. So I'm guessing late June or early July if Nur Ein finishes around the same time as #5.

You can download the 4 new SpinTunes albums for free or contribute to any of the 8 albums at any time.