let's buy me an expensive studio vocal mic!

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: let's buy me an expensive studio vocal mic!

Post by ken »

Cool. Yeah, i used mine with the foam windscreen off but a Stedman pop filter in front of it. I see people using it with the foam on it in studios and live, so it must be fine for some vocalists. One of the things I suspect makes this mic work is that you can't get right up on the diaphragm, and in my experience, a bit of distance from the mic is a good thing.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Manhattan Glutton
Grok
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

With the bass roll-off switch, you don't get the plosives. That's the only thing I can imagine. I was removing them manually with an EQ compressor on the low-end.

How do you get the foam windscreen off? I'm afraid of breaking it and wanted to try the other one that comes with it.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
ken
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

From what I can tell, you just have to pry it off from where it meets the mic body. The guy I bought mine from did it when it didn't come off easily for me, so it seems to just take a little force.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Dan-O from Five-O
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Kind of a dead topic and I don't frequent here as much as I used to, but reading this thread reminded me of one of the other times this came up. Took me a minute to find my link, but this song illustrates perfectly how big budget mics aren't always needed to produce a quality song.

In the end I think it all comes down to proper mic placement, engineering technique, room quality, mixing ability and mostly talent. None of which I claim to have BTW and talent should have been listed first.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB