Song Fight! South By Southwest?

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Song Fight! South By Southwest?

Post by Lunkhead »

There are a fair number of Song Fight! folks in Austin these days. Erin and I have never been to Austin and would like to visit some time. South By Southwest happens in Austin and seems really cool (though crowded, expensive, etc.). I think it usually draws in a few more Song Fight! folks for work (MC Frontalot, JB, etc.). We were thinking maybe it would be fun to visit for the first time around SXSW time next year. Then I thought, it would be awesome to play some music while there, too. Any locals feeling bored and like undertaking putting together a "Song Fight! Presents" show in Austin around SXSW time...? Please? :)

("Song Fight! Presents" was the label we used for the small unofficial Song Fight! shows Ken used to put together several years back.)
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Re: Song Fight! South By Southwest?

Post by RangerDenni »

This sounds like a good idea, and like something that might could be put together. Getting a number of possible interested folks would probably determine what kind of venue would be suitable. Exciting! Yay :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I'd be interested in going to Austin again, sure.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'd love to see Songfight folks visit Austin, during SXSW or otherwise.
I'd love to put on a Songfight Presents show in Austin.
That being said... Under no circumstances do I want to organize (or even participate in) a Songfight concert during SXSW.

I present the following arguments.
1.) There will be over 10,000 bands playing concerts in Austin during the festival. Not only will that make it hard to draw crowds (which normally isn't important to Songfight events, but see #2), it means that all the time we spend practicing and playing our sets is time that we don't get to spend actually attending the festival.
2.) Because there are so many bands in town, venue space is at a critical premium. To get a venue to host us, we would need to convince them that we can draw a crowd big enough to be profitable.
3.) The logistics of putting on a Songfight show are hard enough under normal circumstances. During SXSW, everything from finding a hotel to finding parking space to renting a PA, to moving equipment, to finding a place to practice, gets about ten times more difficult.

In summary: Yes, please come on down to Austin for South-By! Tell us when you're coming! We'll go catch a few bands and share a few drinks, and a merry time will be had by all! But if you want to play down here, I strongly advise choosing any other time (unless your goal is to get "discovered" and network your way into a recording contract).
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages