Put Lipstick On A Pig and (Kiss It All Goodbye Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Put Lipstick On A Pig and (Kiss It All Goodbye Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Pucker up!
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Re: Put Lipstick On A Pig and (Kiss It All Goodbye Reviews)

Post by rone rivendale »

That sounds so wrong, considering your profile picture. :)
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted, have at it.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

darksideoftheson: I kind of like the guitar and something in the deeper vocal that reminds me of the moody blues or some Jethro Tull, but the drenching of the reverb, lack of clarity, kind of takes me out of the lyric and makes it hard to enjoy. It's a bit samey all the way through.

Deadnettlez: It actually took me a while to realize that there were words being sung there. This would be more impressive done live. And the mix isn't clear enough to really bring out what you were doing. But this just had to be fun to make.

lichenthroat: Once again, you have a good arrangement of music. And I think your vocal timing has improved. The vocal is a bit "up" in the mix and could use with some spacial effect, but this is working for me.

luntar: I'm actually a fan of well written 30 second songs. And while I had my doubt about this to start, by the end I was actually enjoying it.

pigfarmerjr: (me): Super fast recording at past the last minute. I actually like the attitude but the lyric is obviously rushed and it needs another guitar track to make it fill out. I think this could have been better with more than forty five minutes spent on it.

praisemuzak: Sounds like a harpsichord in there somewhere. The bells (toy piano?) just got distracting for me after a while. I like the melody and the vocal delivery, but there were a few bits of pitchiness or wavering that took me out of the song. I like the phrasing on the chorus, those pauses work well for me.

vomvorton: Did you know I'm a Tom, too? Easily my favorite song of the fight. The melody works well enough and I like it a lot on the chorus/refrain, especially at the end. There are no obvious deficiencies in the song and while the mix is busy (and I'm sure could be a little more clear) I can hear the parts and it sounds good to my ears, although I like the idea behind the mixing of vocal lines at the end, it was hard to hear. But worth it for the effect, I think. The stronger the guitars the more I like this.

wreckdom: where those out of tune held notes on the byyyyyyyyyyyyes and dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying intentional? I like the lyric, the scenes of luxury and the contrast with a we can lose it all now vibe.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Praise Muzak - love the instrumentation, really unusual. I can’t quite place what this reminds me of - maybe Bright Eyes? But the vocals make me think of Modest Mouse. Anyway I thought this was pretty cool.

Dark Side of the Son - congrats on the win last time out! I liked the lyrics in this one (the callback to the forest full of graves made me smile) and the layered reverby vocals are cool but the music felt a bit too repetitive for my liking. Still a decent listen, though!

Pigfarmer Jr - aha, I wasn’t the only one to go political for this fight! Toms unite! Really like the fizzy guitar sound and the little bass runs sound really good. Doubled vocals on the chorus are great too. Surprised this one was last minute, it sounds really well realised to me!

Deadnettlez - on a general music / sound /mixing level I think this was maybe your best track yet, and there are some good melodies in there too. I like it when the lowest vocal kicks in.

luntar - really short but fun, and there’s an interesting loopy rhythm to it.

Lichen Throat - as I’ve said before I generally really like your stuff, but this one didn’t quite do it for me. The intro is really cool but the vocal and music don’t quite fit together somehow - it’s an interesting lyric and the music is full of suspense but they don’t quite work in the same song? Sorry that I’m not explaining myself terribly well.

WreckdoM - really love the 80s-esque synthpop arrangement, that filter bass and the classic drum machine sounds work really well. I don’t think the vocal melody is quite as strong but the bleak ending was surprisingly effective!

Vom Vorton - this is me. I don’t generally like getting too political in my lyrics but it was all I could think about last week. I think the “time to die” line is a bit too blunt but I haven’t figured out an alternative yet… other than that, pleased with this one. I dug out my DX21 synth for the keyboard sounds which was fun, it has lain unused beneath my bed for far too long.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Dark side of son: I like the guitar tone and the sinister vibe. You've got some good melodies in there, too. The acoustic guitar is too quiet and doesn't seem to match the rest of the song.

Deadnettlez: Kind of impressive, but not my thing.

Lichen Throat: I was so focused on having a danceable beat and a less self-conscious vocal performance that I didn't realize how boring the song was until I was done. I do like the bridge, though.

luntar: I like the weird string sounds.

Pigfarmer Jr.: This is pretty good. Pleasantly loose. Nice bridge.

Praise Muzak: I like the chord progression of the low instrument on the left. I might prefer a more uniform rhythm. Nice song overall.

Vom Vorton: This week's favorite for me. I like the combination of subtlety and overness in the lyrics; we have no doubt what its about, but it never actually says it outright. I like the repeated notes on the electric guitar.

WreckdoM: Good job with the vocal mix. I like the keyboards. One of your better tracks, in my opinion.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats to Vom Vorton!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Cheers! Just looked at the results, that was a close one!