Lori Petty in a reverse cowgirl (Tank Top reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
erik
DALL-E
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Lori Petty in a reverse cowgirl (Tank Top reviews)

Post by erik »

with a kangaroo

OMGWTFBBQ
Andy Balham
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Re: Lori Petty in a reverse cowgirl (Tank Top reviews)

Post by Andy Balham »

15-16 puzzle wrote:with a kangaroo
Skippy?
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Bolio
DeepMind
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Lori Petty in a reverse cowgirl (Tank Top reviews)

Post by Bolio »

Andy Balham wrote:Skippy?
WTF?

TRIVIA NOTE
In 1970, vandals tried to kill the real Skippy at Waratah Park but failed

That's one tough kangaroo!
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
jack
Stable Diffusion
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i still remember the theme song.....

"skippy....skippy....skippy the bush kangaroo...."
Hi!
Niveous
Gemini
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Tank Girl reference....:D
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Andy Balham
DeepMind

Post by Andy Balham »

Halfway through listening to WreckdoM's entry this week I suddenly twigged that what North Americans call a tank top, we Brits would call a vest. For us a tank top is a sleeveless wool top (FYI with sleeves we refer to them as jumpers) and Lyle & Scott is a Scottish manufacturer of said garments. Anyway, I'm enjoying the fight and reviews will follow this evening...
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
deshead
Claude

Post by deshead »

A tambourine-free fight? Well then ...

Andy Balham feat. Sarah Beanz: Good play on the title for a clever hook. The mix balance is good, though the song has a loose feel. I can't tell if that's intentional, or if you just went with the first 'good enough' take on each track. The lyrics trip over themselves in a few places too. "Normally I'd go for ..." and "woodpecker" stood out. And the vocal volume jumps up a lot in the chorus, especially the last one, with all the reverb. Hmmm, on reflection my review seems overly critical for how much I enjoyed the song. Hopefully it's feedback you can use :)

Dan-O from Five-O: Sweet guitar tone, both rhythm and lead. And your vocal delivery rocks. It really suits the style. The bass overwhelms everything in the mix, though. It's something I wrestle with too, because my mixing room acoustics are crap. You could try EQ'ing more low-mids into the bass tone so it cuts through a little more and is easier to gauge. (Is it a standup bass? It sounds like it.)

Deshead: Arson is underrated.

Electrocushin: Ah yes, I see the relationship to the title. Oh, wait ...

Forty Second Songs: The more I listen to this, the more I appreciate your attention to detail. The percussion is nonstandard, and really interesting. Actually, you got good tones on all the instruments (though the timpani, or whatever it is, might be a bit too loud.) I don't get the "Johnathon" stuff in the lyrics though. Was I supposed to? The rest of the lyrics are so direct, that bit kinda stood out.

Future Boy: This is pretty perfect. Unlike a lot of the other songs this week, "tank top" doesn't sound shoehorned into the lyrics. And it's got such a great chorus, with the lyric hook but also the not-quite-familiar melody. The vocal harmony is excellent. Fantastic song. Would listen again. A++++++++++++++++

Henrietta and the Hostage: This is really, really nice. You've got great vocal control. I'm probably doing you a disservice by not listening to this half a dozen more times before voting, because I think it'll grow on me. Are you a fan of Angie Hart?

LMNOP: Both of us in the same fight? That oughta drive some votes away ;-) This is a solid, flawless delivery! Wow, is your timing really that tight? I think it would sound that much better if the guitar had more body, and maybe a bit of reverb. But even without that, it's still a well-balanced mix. Great job.

Penguin Map Mijinko: This reminds me of Yaz. Or maybe just Vince Clark... It's incredibly well put together. Even though the underlying structure is repetitive, the song never sounds monotonous. And the mix is perfect.

Pileus: Needs artwork :) That low Eb makes my sub dance. Is that on purpose? If not, you might want to trim off some 78Hz.

Sausage Boy: The effect on the vocals drowns out the lyrics completely. I'm afraid "Tank Top" are the only words I can make out. And the vocals are so loud, they drown everything else out. So, uh ... good backbeat?

SFO: Short! Loud! Sweet!

Squirrel Damage: This is a great little pop tune. Dino Jr. with a Teenage Fanclub chorus. I like it a lot. The synth lead is catchy! Are the drums just room-mic'd? They sound distant, but if the kick and snare weren't mic'd separately, there's probably not much you can do about that.

Steve Durand: This is great for what it is. I can't say it does much for me personally, but I appreciate the effort you put into the lyrics. They fit perfectly and tell a complete story. (I fear you might have some negative "midi uke?" reviews in your future, though.)

WreckdoM: Jesus, I love this. The lyrics are great for so many reasons. First, they tell a story: 22 seconds in, I feel like I know the guy. But they're also clever. "I'm not allowed to have any cake" is the funniest thing I've ever heard on Songfight. The song also raises important questions like, "what kind of fishnet tank top-wearin' redneck can afford the Ruth's Chris?" and "how once-in-a-lifetime can the occasion be for a guy with 15 or 16 daughters?" But at the same time, other perennial questions are laid to rest: "what type of tank top should I wear to a formal event?" has plagued me for years. What's that one Cletus voice saying in the chorus? "Hey pa?" Man, this cracks me up.

Here's the thing: Future Boy's song is awesome, and I actually feel a little guilty not voting for it. But WreckdoM did this title justice like nothing I've ever heard. This week, that's enough for my vote.
Future Boy
DeepMind
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Jesus Christ are you on crack??
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
deshead
Claude

Post by deshead »

Is it that obvious?
Geoff WreckdoM
Mixtral
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

9 out of 10 crackheads love WreckdoM!

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Well if he's on crack he needs to stay on crack! As a matter of fact, crack for everybody!

Deshead-Thanks very much for the kind and generous words. You have made my day! I'm very happy you enjoyed it.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re: 9 out of 10 crackheads love WreckdoM!

Post by jb »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Well if he's on crack he needs to stay on crack! As a matter of fact, crack for everybody!
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

whoooooo boy

*wiping away the tears*

(totally not kidding. that put me in stitches.)

Crack for everybody!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Niveous
Gemini
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: 9 out of 10 crackheads love WreckdoM!

Post by Niveous »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Well if he's on crack he needs to stay on crack! As a matter of fact, crack for everybody!
Did I miss the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?!

While, I'm here:

Niv's review paragraph

Last reviews of the day. First, the other Durand. A little Jimmy Buffett/Polynesian flavor. Not bad. It's got some charm. I dig it. Next, H & the H. Hostage is an amazing guitarist. Henrietta's got a great voice. Could very easily get my vote. Beautiful tune. Next, Wreckdom bring the manbosoms. You get no cake. If I hadn't already given out the "well, at least you had fun recording it" award today....oh hell, I can give out another. Next, Squirrel Damage. It almost had me until you said "Your tank top, it's like a mop". That's sooooo bad. It was ok except for that. Next, the SFO strikes again. Who is this and why don't they rock like this all the time? The SFO is gonna be such a mishmosh. More medley than orchaestra piece. Next Balham & Beanz. I really like Beanz voice and her addition to the Balham sound was just what it needed. Hmmm, my voting just got a little more difficult. Next, Future Boy. It's Gary Numan as written and produced by Johnny Cashpoint. Odd tune. Made me feel dirty listening to it. Next song, please. Df5O. A little jazz/swing flavor, huh. I can dig it. The lyrics aren't doing much for me but the guitar solo is working. Nice ending. Next, 40 Secs again. Curvebreaking in two fights. Uncool. Couldn't ya at least collab? A sweet little ditty. Almost CCS in its feel while mixing that laidback 50's sound. It works well. Next, Sausage Boy. Again with the 2 songs. Well, if 40 Secs was messing with one end of the bell curve, Sausage Boy is messing with the other. Surprisingly, this isn't too bad. I find bobbing my head to this. Next, Penguin Map Mijinko. Tanktops and the Exorcist? It's well produced but cluttered with stuff and nonsense. Next,Electrocushin. Wait. What happened? 1 minute. Well, it's an instrumental, so I'm thankful for brevity. Next, Pileus. Gangsta, gangsta. No. It's an interesting play on the theme- a girl and her repeatedly exploding tanktop. It reminds me of the end of the Howling III. During the end credits, it repeatedly shows one of the actresses ripping off her top, exposing her breasts, followed by different reactions from other parts of the flick- like old men laughing, people fainting, etc. Anyway. I digress. That wasn't good. Next, LMNOP. Well, this fight has lots of variety, don't it. I can dig this, put this on a mixtape between Mungo Jerry and CCR. Just hanging with Leroy. Lastly, deshead. Well, Josh is gone. Long live the new Josh. The song is beautiful and well produced and bound to win the fight. But it's just not my cup of tea, just like Josh. My vote will go to Balham & Beanz, with H & the H, a close second and LMNOP gets third.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Andy Balham
DeepMind

Post by Andy Balham »

And now the very drunken opinions on Mr Balham…

Dan-O from Five-O
Good rhyme of tank and swank, will I hear that again? Given my state I’m like the late night jazz bar feel here. Good solo, I feel even more pathetic about my endeavours.

<Now I have to find a way to type while I eat a pizza>

Deshead
I like the line about digging through dirty laundry. The whole passes over me in a pleasant way lets see how the next one fares as I do recall it from my sober afternoon…

Pileus
Enjoyed the ride so to speak, but too easy.

WreckdoM
Thank you for opening my eyes to trans-Atlantic interpretation of ‘Tank Top’. You should be in charge of all educational material (I am very, very drunk).

Penguin Map Mijinko
Enjoyed this more hugely. Not much else to say.

LMNOP
Nice summery feel, though the Tank Top element got lost on the way for me.

Song Fight Orchestra
At last some thrash. I’d actually like to hear the whole album to this song.

Henrietta and the Hostage
I’ve always liked your voice and I like the lyrical take and the use of ‘anechoic’ (twice).

Forty Second Songs
I like the phrase ‘bulky letters’. This is a good straightforward song.

Electrocushin
On seconf listen I know this is an istrumental therefore no vote from this juror. That said, it’s a fun one.

Sausage Boy
An instrumental followed by a double submitter with a loop-based shouter. C’mon.

Future Boy
Good hook. Good backing. I like. You could have made more of this song, but what there is I like a lot
Steve Durand
Meanwhile on the beach we have Mr Durand. Pleasant, but too twee for my cold heart. I do like the solo apart from a couple of note towards the end.

Andy Balham feat. Sarah Beanz (me plus Sarah)
What I like: Sarah’s voice, the lyrics. What I don’t: the solo.

Squirrel Damage
I like the rhyme of top and mop. The backing is good, but not inspiring.

At this juncture I find it hard to conjure up a top three. I suspect that WreckdoM are the leaders at the moment…
deshead
Claude

Post by deshead »

Andy Balham wrote:(I am very, very drunk).
I am very very laughing:
Andy Balham wrote:DesheadI like the line about digging through dirty laundry.
I liked it too, though it wasn't in my song. :lol:
Andy Balham wrote:suspect that WreckdoM are the leaders at the moment…
On behalf of Geoff, I suggest you vote now!

How was the pizza?
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

"Crack For Everybody" has to be a future SongFight title.
jack
Stable Diffusion
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

sausage boy
can't understand 2 words of it but the backing mix kind of grows on me. or brainwashes me.

dan o
i like the bold move to bust into untested genre waters, and you pull it off pretty good. the mix could definitely be louder in general. singing reminds me alot of balls to monte. and the 335 guitar and horns are really well done. nice job. i really like this alot.

electrocushin
always love a good ARP synthesizer. i don't have a problem with the lack of lyrics, as this makes me think cheesy 80's dance music. which makes me think of tank tops.

andy and sarah
this is pretty well done. the guitars seem kind of flat in the mix. the vocals are good when you double them up and drown them in the reverb. the female vox are pretty cool, but they really get washed out in the mix. if you'd built the arrangement around them, instead of making them compete for space, they'd probably be more effective.

squirrel damage
that guitar riff sounds so familiar. the drums sound pretty meh. it could be an mp3 encoding issue (what did you use?) as the mix in general sounds flat and compressed, especially the cymbals/hi hat shots. the arrangement sounds like something i've heard a thousand times before, whcih wouldn't be bad if you'd changed it up more instaed of keeping it pretty standard and safe. it's well done. definitely. but too safe.

henrietta and the hostage
very nice indeed. you guys always bring quality, and honestly, one of the reasons i decided to review and listen to this fight over the others is because you're in it. another nice thing is that you keep you're tried and true sound but this doesn't really sound that much like anything else i've heard from you. it's similar and different, which is really cool.

40 second songs
i'm a sucker for eggshakers. and harmony vocals. so you've won me over. i really love all the instrumentation.

deshead
very well done. the toad the wet sprocket groupies will be knocking shortly. man, you should be getting seriously laid with this kind of stuff.

penguin map mijinko
again, very well done. points off for taking the easy approach lyrically but you made up for it by keeping your mix pretty interesting. really nice production too!

wreckdom
it's like the joke that you had to be there for. i just don't get it. nor am really interested in getting it. sorry. i'll give you the songfight iron man award though, but i'm starting to think it's all just one long loop.

future boy
personally, i hate this genre but this is still completely awesome. it transcends my hate and turns it into love. :)

pileus
i really like the backing mix, but the flow is pretty stiff. it gets a bit better as you go along, but it needs to loosen up. where's the scratching? (ha, the outro at least indicates you gave the rap multiple efforts so points for that)

LMNOP
ha, love it. the guitar sounds out of tune but that's sort of endearing. love the arrangement. good job!

steve durand
beautiful. is that a slack key guitar? love it. love the idea you went with, and you nail it.

songfight orchestra
yeah. this is great. has a clash sort of feel going for it. and you pack alot in here. nice job!

pretty good fight! a lot of variety. and quality. my top 5.......

5. deshead
4. dan o
3. henrietta and the hostage
2. steve durand
1. future boy
Hi!
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Future Boy- I don't know what to say about this, because I like it quite a lot. Pass the crack, I'm in.

Henrietta and the Hostage- Don't feel bad, it takes something really really special to impress me in the vocals and acoustic stakes. I can't really get into the song, but on the plus side, you can actually sing, which is a rare commodity around here, I think.

Song Fight Orchestra- Vocals are a little buried, but sound very Johnny Rottonish from what I can hear. I like that it is short and hard too.

Squirrel Damage- Not bad, not bad at all. At the moment, you are a tad behind Future Boy. Love the bass, but everyone knows I'm a sucker for bass. Sounds very much like a recently broken up band from Oz called Custard. Custard are cool, and so is this.

40 Second Songs- Cool lyrics, in both the writing and the execution. I like the organ too.

Andy Balham feat Sarah Beanz- All I can use to describe this song is this word. Meh. Its not a bad quality recording, and its a good composition, but it just doesn't grab me for some reason.

Wreckom- Yeah! I've been waiting for a chance to listen to a Wreckdom song. I just finished listening to The Residents 13th Anniversary Show, so I am totally set for this. Equal second.

Sausage Boy- Sorry if you hate this. But sometimes you gotta cut loose and piss off the SongFight community. If you can translate most of what I am saying, you win a prize.

Electrocushin- Sorry, cannot forge the connection here. The closest I can get is that it sounds like music you would hear on a catwalk.

Penguin Map Mijinko- Nice solid beat. It gets interesting after about 1:20, and then goes back to being so-so.

LMNOP Paul Krueger- Good song, I like this. Not going to get my vote, but I think it is going into rotation on my playlist. Leroy??

Dan-O- The bass could go down a tiny bit, it kind of gets harsh on one note in there. Not too sure that the guitar solo really fits in... the whole song has this lounge feel and it just doesn't really seem to fit. It might work if the solo is acompanied by some form of trumpets?

Stene Durant- I like the chorus lyrics. Interesting little song.

DesheadFull marks for production values. The tune is good, but I'm not too sure about the lyrics.

I'm going with Future Boy.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

jack shite wrote:sausage boy
can't understand 2 words of it but the backing mix kind of grows on me. or brainwashes me.
I think its repedative nature draws you in through sheer relentlessnes.
the Jazz
DeepMind

Post by the Jazz »

Future Boy - did you sample the instant message "pop" sound and use it in your beat? I must know! I thought someone was sending me a message, and my computer wasn't even on! In other news, I love the line about the schoolgirls' eyeballs popping. ARGH! There's that message sound again! AM I CRAZY, OR IS IT JUST ME? Hold on...
Let cake eat them.
Future Boy
DeepMind
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

No, I did not sample the IM pop sound. I thought about using some kind of sampled "pop" sound but then decided against it.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
darb_
A New Player

Post by darb_ »

Electrocushin
On seconf listen I know this is an istrumental therefore no vote from this juror. That said, it’s a fun one.
It is fun. And 80's.

The connection is this: While writing this, I was thinking about driving through suberbia on a warm summer day. What's this, 3 hot chicks walking down the street wearing VERY tight tank tops? Oh shit, I just ran a red light and got T-boned. Too bad I wasn't wearing my seat belt. As I lie bloodied on the road, I can still see the 3 ladies walking. Mmm..tank tops.
Electrocushin - Shockingly Uncomfortable
LMNOP
Alpaca

Post by LMNOP »

Wow, lots of positive reviews so far. I’m looking forward to this and hoping it’s not just the beer and crack. For my part, I’m listening under the influence of decongestant and ibuprofen. Here’s my $0.02:

<b>Wreckdom</b> - Okay, I’m going in reverse specifically to not give Wreckdom late-in-the-alphabet short shrift. I actually like the idea and the lyrics of this but I need more than some spazzo delays for it to take root.

<b>Steve Durand</b> - On a trip to Hawaii a couple of years ago, I made a point of finding a hole-in-the-wall music store and picking up a bunch of traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music so I have a soft spot for this kind of thing. This is one of those songs that I wish I could hear what you’re hearing in your head ‘cause if I could get past the hideously fake instruments, I think I’d like it.

<b>Squirrel Damage</b> - Nice little arrangement ya got here. I like some of the lyrics here and there – “your naked shoulders” – but overall they’re not very cohesive.

<b>SFO</b> - Hard to know what to say about these little snippets since they have an agenda all their own. I like it fine for what it is.

<b>Sausage Boy</b> - I guess I should just admit that I have a hard time appreciating this atonal loop-based stuff. Most of the parts seem to go on too long and I can’t understand the words.

<b>Pileus</b> -- Damn, I was hoping for Barry White after that intro. This is pretty well put together. How about a little more attitude in the vocal?

<b>Penguin Something</b> -- Nice production, nice arrangement. Okay, effects-laden vocals but I can understand every word. That’s how it’s supposed to be done! I kinda like this as long as I turn it up and don’t pay too much attention.

<b>LMNOP</b> -- This is me with my friend Roger on bass since he happened to be in the neighborhood. Gotta redo those vocals with a little less basso profundo in the lead and a little more confidence in the harmony.

<b>Henrietta/Hostage</b> -- Love it. Great guitar work. Towards the end, I’m wishing there had been a more pronounced B section somewhere but not because I didn’t enjoy what’s there. “Do you forgive me yet?” is a great line.

<b>Future Boy</b> -- Right out the box, this was sounding way too much like way too many other things. But then you do that chorus. Man, that is slick. I really like it.

<b>40SS</b> -- I enjoyed this but I’m not really sure why. There are a couple of really awkward rhymes and the tympani make things a bit muddy but overall, nice job.

<b>Electrocushin</b> --

<b>deshead</b> -- “No one can scatter a crowd like me.” Spoken like a songfighter with a high repulsion factor. Vocals are incredibly solid. Nicely arranged – everything blends so well, even the synth strings which often can sound kind of pasted on. Easily my favorite so far.

<b>Dan-O</b> -- The groove has me from “hello.” I love how the lyrics come flying at you like spatter off a semi’s wheels. Of course, my feeble mind can barely keep up, but what is this, Ode to Impoverished Redneck? I’d like a tad more level on the lead guitar, please.

<b>Andy & Sarah</b> -- A nice solid effort but the chorus really leaves me wanting. Musically it’s kind of bland, the lyrics don’t take me anywhere and the vocals are way too wet.

Okay, forget everything I just said. It was the ibuprofen talking. It’s a 15-way tie! Crack for everyone!