Nur Ein XIX Round Zero- "For Your Consideration"

There can be only one.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XIX Round Zero- "For Your Consideration"

Post by Spintown »

Just turn in something. It's round 0, so you can move on just by turning something in depending on how many people enter.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:24 am
I've said this before but I'll say it again, it seems pretty uncool to penalize people like that
well, how can i give people credit for something that i can't understand and can't read? would you give credit for good music if somebody didn't turn in an mp3?
anyway i'm the judge. i get to decide my scoring criteria :)
also, let me quote the FAQ: "Song Fight requires a modicum of resourcefulness." so does nur ein.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:22 pm
how can i give people credit for something that i can't understand and can't read?
The issue isn't the scoring criteria. It's letting the contestants know what the scoring criteria is at the time the challenge/contest is initiated unless it has already been clearly stated.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:53 pm
HeuristicsInc wrote:
how can i give people credit for something that i can't understand and can't read?
The issue isn't the scoring criteria. It's letting the contestants know what the scoring criteria is at the time the challenge/contest is initiated unless it has already been clearly stated.
There's no way for the contestants to know about ANY judges scoring criteria though atm. Not unless Niv wants to post something on the main Nur Ein site when the first challenge goes up. 1 judge may hate soft rock, another might be anti uke, it's just part of the luck factor.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

If nothing else, it might be worth putting a link to the lyric thread on the nur ein site for posterity, along with the caveat that you might have to email someone to get approved to join the boards?

Any, I somehow managed to make it in, despite losing my entire file along with my computer. I got an IMO pretty awesome stripped down version recorded in the last two hours. Now to sleep…
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Lots of complaining going on already... guess it's NUR EIN TIME! ;) The Ujn Corporation is in. Acoustic/Electric Guitar & Drums in case it's not obvious. Good luck, Judges.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
well, how can i give people credit for something that i can't understand and can't read? would you give credit for good music if somebody didn't turn in an mp3?
anyway i'm the judge. i get to decide my scoring criteria :)
also, let me quote the FAQ: "Song Fight requires a modicum of resourcefulness." so does nur ein.
I didn't mean to come across as if I were telling you how to judge or rank the songs. Sorry if I came across that way. Personally I too would want to have the written lyrics in case I couldn't understand them all from hearing them. I was trying to make a point about the tournament and about giving everyone the same chance to provide lyrics. A contestant who's not already an active board member could try their best to get their lyrics posted when and where and how you want, but still have something completely out of their control delay their lyrics being visible until after the judges have submitted their rankings. I don't think it's fair to penalize people for something that's out of their control, especially when that penalty is only a potential issue for some of the contestants and not for others.

If lyrics are required by even at least one judge, a simple one sentence change to the Nur Ein instructions could help make sure there is a level playing field for submitting lyrics, like changing this:
When a competitor completes a song, it is to be e-mailed to nurein.sidefight which is a Gmail address.
... to this:
When a competitor completes a song, the song and its lyrics are to be e-mailed to nurein.sidefight which is a Gmail address.
And to "go the extra mile" if somebody doesn't submit their lyrics with their song, you could reply and ask them to send the lyrics. (If they don't do it after that, that's on them.)
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Listening Party link for tonight -

Nur Ein 19 Round 0 Monday 5/13 - 9pm EST
'For Your Consideration'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTaDK-MQBQ
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

ujnhunter wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 pm
Lots of complaining going on already... guess it's NUR EIN TIME! ;) The Ujn Corporation is in. Acoustic/Electric Guitar & Drums in case it's not obvious. Good luck, Judges.
To expand on what our CEO previously posted, I would note that the Ujn Corporation also made use of electric and electronic bass in order to round out the scope of our Round Zero offering. Please be aware that the company's public position is that electric bass should be classified as an acoustic instrument, as the method of sound generation falls under the category of acoustic vibrations. On review, Legal noted that that our interpretation was in conflict with the interpretation endorsed by the regulatory commission, and thus we declined to make any bass-related claims publicly. That said, an ad-hoc has been formed to consider drafting a white paper should this point need further adjudication.
-- reve mosquito.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I sang the words “acoustic guitar” and “electric guitar” in the lyrics. The instructions just said these had to be included. Not actually played or anything.

But I did play them too. Do I get double points?
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:41 pm
I sang the words “acoustic guitar” and “electric guitar” in the lyrics. The instructions just said these had to be included. Not actually played or anything.

But I did play them too. Do I get double points?
If I was a judge I'd have given double points if you said them, but didn't use them. Seems like you didn't really believe in your strat by having the backup plan. ;p Glad you did use the guitars though, because it was catchy as hell.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i wrote some reviews! is this the right place for them?

Balance - i like the second chorus higher after. And the interplay of all the guitars is really nice. The vocals sound good and understated. A bit repetitive but i like it.
Bss - the chirpy thing makes me happy (though it’s a little loud for the mix). I do like these lyrics, especially the last verse.
Bluechip - i like the organ lead there and the drumbeat is good. The vocals aren’t real clear and i don’t see any posted lyrics unfortunately. The groove is groovy tho. Nice backing vox.
Brown – love the bop bop bits. The chorus shines here.
Cave - catchy. Interesting the lyrical theme is somewhat common. Like the words tho.
Chew - the instrumental break is great. And the second one is even better.
Cybronica - gotta try to get past my genre bias. The “is this enough” parts are really good. Also the vocal layerings sound good. Good lyrics.
Fbf - nice! I enjoy a lot about this. Catchy, good vocals - oh i love the extra vocal effect used in spots here, a nice touch. Love the last verse.
Glennny - digging the electronic percussion bits.
Heid - i like this lyrical theme about the lentils and louder than the guns. At first I wasn’t excited but this one is growing on me. The accordion (?) is nice too.
Hjo - interesting use of different vocal styles. What is up with this bandname, by the way? I dig that line with all the internal rhymes.
Hot - sounds awful. The political stuff and the arson, i mean. This is another one where i wasn’t keen on it on first listen, but doing it again while reading along i like it a lot more.
Kama - written with the cat’s collaboration hah. Nice ending.
Max - catchy! Love the lyrics and the chorus rocks. This is great. Excellent line : “They can copy works but not your art”.
Mecha - hey aren’t you from fawm? Welcome! no , i don’t think there’s a rule to use the title as a lyric as long as it makes sense for that to be the title. This one is interesting, doesn’t hold together that well, but there’s interesting stuff going on especially when you start wailing about. I like your lyrics tho.
Moss - the vocals are really good here. Interestingly the music is better in the verse than the chorus.
Pig - the chorus shines. The verses lose some in comparison.
Spin - hey my son used to play hypixel a lot. Kudos for adding the video (it doesn’t fit into my scoring scheme tho?!). The chorus works well, though you lose some scansion there.
Starf - love the weird noises. That bit that goes along with “in the yard” is very cool. Turds haha. And the dog barks are a nice touch. Love it.
Friends - really nice music, whazat thing is real nice. Some of the vocals sound like they’re clipping. Interesting stuff going on here. Giving you a bump up for the outro.
Tlb - that echoed synth is really nice. Lots going on here that is good, like the chorus, and the replacing of the sounds, and the lyrics.
Ujn - nice rhythm thing going on there. That arpeg synth is great. I like this vocal style. Great. Somewhat odd way to end.
Vv - love that intro synth. Nice rhymes. I dig this.
14 - those sounds in the intro are pretty great. In the middle it seems to get lost a bit. The outro is really nice too.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:20 pm
i wrote some reviews! is this the right place for them?

Cybronica - gotta try to get past my genre bias. The “is this enough” parts are really good. Also the vocal layerings sound good. Good lyrics.
Bless you! Many thanks for taking the time to write these out. I’m glad you liked (parts of) my song! I had to rerecord everything on my phone in the two hours before midnight because my composter decide Sunday was it’s time to go into the great beyond. Very pleased the vocal layering came out as well as it did. I’m also pretty sure, based on the first two songs, this years nur ein is going to be a concept album that airs my grievances with the opera industry, so genre bias abounds! You’re allowed to not like it, lol, but I hope you find something good from it!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Just out of curiosity, when are the Judges scores and such due? I thought I knew from last year... but... perhaps not. Or... is Round 0 non-scored if there are 25 or less entrants? I can't view nure.in from this computer... so perhaps they're already up, just not posted here yet?
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
I wrote some reviews! is this the right place for them?
---------------

Kama - written with the cat’s collaboration hah. Nice ending.
The cat sends her bestest yowl. :lol:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Hey folks,
Scores are gonna be a little late this time again. One can't control when they have to go to the ER.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Oh no! Best wishes :(
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Cybronica wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:21 am
my grievances with the opera industry
kinda interested to know what grievances with the opera industry exist. i guess we will find out.
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:32 pm
Cybronica wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:21 am
my grievances with the opera industry
kinda interested to know what grievances with the opera industry exist. i guess we will find out.
Don't get stuck in an elevator with a group of baritones. They are. The. Worst.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
What is up with this bandname, by the way?
It translates from Icelandic as "Geisli's mobile home". Geisli apparently translates as - "beam, ray (of light, etc.)"

If I make it to the next round my next song will be recorded in Reykjavik. I fly there on Tuesday. I've been listening to a lot of Sigur Rós - let's see if it rubs off.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i'll look forward to sigur ros stylings from you then!
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Siebass
A New Player
Submitting as: Siebass

Post by Siebass »

HeuristicsInc wrote:

Mecha - hey aren’t you from fawm? Welcome! no , i don’t think there’s a rule to use the title as a lyric as long as it makes sense for that to be the title. This one is interesting, doesn’t hold together that well, but there’s interesting stuff going on
Yes, nice to see you here. I think we were paired for the random collab this year's FAWM and I gave you some snowy driving lyrics. I am a long time FAWMer, short time SpinTuna, but never have tried SongFight or Nur Ein. I decided to take a swing at Nur Ein essentially at 9:30 pm EDT the Sunday that the song was due, so all criticism duly noted and approved.

Wanted to explicitly say thank you for posting reviews, and also to post a thank to all the judges for taking the time to score the songs and review; I know it can be a big commitment, and I appreciate it.