There can be only one.
starfinger
Claude
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Re: Nur Ein XIX Round Four- "Crush Season"

Post by starfinger »

I'm very surprised! I loved all the songs.
(For what it's worth I forced my family members to listen to Glennny and Moss Palace, and they liked 'em too!)

-craig
"Starfinger for president!!!" -- arby
"I would 100% nominate you for the Supreme Court." -- frankie big face
starfinger
Claude
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

glennny wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:27 pm
Everybody is awesome! (Balance Lost is consistently my favorite, but I'm a super fan)
Sorry I haven't been doing reviews.

I stumbled on this:
The Starfinger opening notes reminded me of Loverboy-Turn Me loose. So I had to go hear it again. Accidentally, the 2 songs were playing simultaneously. It was kind of an awesome mash-up. Same key, both at 121bpm as I clock them. Is it the isolated bass sample from Loverboy? The Starfinger line gets way cooler as it progresses. Anyway, I thought someone might enjoy that.

Cheers!

-glennny
that is awesome. i just played the two songs simultaneously, but I did not get as lucky as you apparently did with the relative timings!
That is me playing the bass guitar (on my song, I mean).

craig
"Starfinger for president!!!" -- arby
"I would 100% nominate you for the Supreme Court." -- frankie big face
glennny
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Congrats on the win Starfinger! Awesome bass playing! Awesome production! Awesome sauce!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
sailingmagpie
Llama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: The Serviettes, chewmeupspitmeout
Pronouns: He/him

Post by sailingmagpie »

Balance Lost should get special immunity for singlehandedly increasing Nur Ein engagement by 500%! :D
It's like they found out who Jack the Ripper was and it was James Bond - Niv
Aciniform Artifice
Llama
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Aciniform Artifice wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:36 am
Cybronica is fantastic this week
Niveous wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:26 pm
Eliminations this round:
Cybronica
Oh.

:cry:
Cybronica
DeepMind
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Aciniform Artifice wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:17 am

[quote="Aciniform Artifice" post_id=233846 time=<a href="tel:1718127391">1718127391</a> user_id=30360]
Cybronica is fantastic this week
[quote=Niveous post_id=233867 time=<a href="tel:1718249183">1718249183</a> user_id=93]
Eliminations this round:
Cybronica
[/quote]

Oh.

:cry:
[/quote]

Sigh, it is the way of things! But I did really appreciate your review- I definitely enjoyed writing and recording last week’s song, and I appreciate you noticed what I was trying to do with it, and appreciated my dedication to the challenge. It was hard not to make it sound like a circus haha.

I know I have a polarizing sound, and some folks just don’t like it. I like it though, and I think it really was the production levels that knocked me out this time around. I’m actually pretty proud of what I did this year just working on my phone’s GarageBand app. I just got my new computer this week, and they were able to save all my data off the old one, so I’m taking that as a win! I’ll definitely be shadowing, because I need to finish out this concept album lol.

Congrats to everyone who made it through to the next round! I know I’ve been unusually quiet this year- I just haven’t had the time to dedicate to writing reviews (huge props to everyone that has been writing them). I have been listening a bunch and really enjoying what everyone been making every week!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
furrypedro
Grok
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I have a hypothetical question for the judges.

What if, say, I had got 2 points from Judge 1 resulting in a 3-way tie. In that instance, I would beat Starfinger in a tiebreaker, Starfinger beats Moss Palace, and Moss Palace beats me. How would the tie then be broken? Would it be based on how many top marks each artist got?

It's all academic since there is no immunity this round, but I'm just curious how that situation would be worked out.
Lunkhead
Assistant
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I am not a judge but IIRC the tie-breaking method is based on counting how many judges ranked one artist over the other(s). So if you'd gotten one more point from judge 1 and it had been a three-way tie, then you would have only scored higher than us and Starfinger with one judge, whereas us and Starfinger would have scored higher than you (and each other) with two judges each. So I think you still would have come out in third place. There is probably no specific plan for what would happen then to break the remaining tie between us and Starfinger. Per past tournaments, most likely a novel tie breaking method would have been improvised.
Aciniform Artifice
Llama

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

I'd imagine that after eliminating the hypothetical 3rd place contestant and therefore breaking the 3-way tie, you'd be left with a simple 2-way tie which would then follow the same tiebreaker scenario that actually played out in this round.
Pigfarmer Jr
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I doubt this would happen, and would probably cause more trouble rather than less, but it would be kind of appropriate to have the judges vote on who hit the challenge the best.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Niveous
Gemini
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

In the hypothetical tiebreaker.
Judge 1 would give their vote to Starfinger (10-9-2)
Judge 2 would give their vote to Starfinger (10-5-9)
Judge 3 would give their vote to Balance Lost (9-4-10)
Judge 4 would give their vote to Moss Palace (6-10-9)
Judge 5 would give their vote to Moss Palace (3-10-8)

With 2 votes each, Starfinger and Moss Palace would be tied and Balance Lost would secure third place.

This would trigger a second tiebreak, the one that actually happened. In other words, we would look again at the one dissenting judge resulting in Judge 3's vote going to Starfinger (9-4).
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
furrypedro
Grok
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Thnak you for your answer.

Do you think you could find another method of scoring where Balance Lost would win? For example, by alphabetical order or by how many dirty swears were used in the song.
Asking for a friend

Kind regards
Pete
Siebass
Llama
Submitting as: Siebass/MechaKarp

Post by Siebass »

furrypedro wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:43 pm
Thnak you for your answer.

Do you think you could find another method of scoring where Balance Lost would win? For example, by alphabetical order or by how many dirty swears were used in the song.
Asking for a friend

Kind regards
Pete
Tie breaker method is based on number of dry-fire ejac jokes per song, BL clear winner!

Thanks for the warning on not listening to that with the kiddos around, I enjoyed your track a lot this week.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to get my vocals done what with work travel this week, but FWIW my favs this round aligned perfectly with the judges:

BL with the rap diss track (I may be profoundly average, but still somehow hanging on in my mediocrity, heh :D Other than week one, I've been almost exactly in the middle of the rankings each week. For the BL song, lots of really colorful disses in here, with self-deprecating hook very catchy and worked for me, it sounds like you had a lot of fun making this).

Moss Palace again (super smooth vocals and really clean production, attention to details in arrangement; your songs are a constant reminder that I need to learn how to sing better) and

Starfinger (that bass line was sick, great dirty funk, you've got your own sound defined and do a great job leaning into it. I enjoyed rhyming hub caps with mud flaps as well)
Siebass
Llama
Submitting as: Siebass/MechaKarp

Post by Siebass »

Forgot to say also that Cybronica I really especially enjoyed your vocal take this week, with a lot of grit; I thought they were really good. That and your lyrics also stuck out to me as very strong. I would also agree that perhaps the production was lacking a bit; mainly to my ear though I thought mostly just the mix levels could use some more balancing between the vocals and the instruments. For taste comments, the drum and synth samples were not my favs, but that also could just be me, as I find everyone likes/dislikes different samples.

This was a strong round for songs!
WreckdoMelle
DeepMind
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Not a judge and not overtly looking for the meeting of the challenge, just some reviews to help you pass your Sunday as you might be wrapping up your submissions or just generally lazing about, perhaps.

Balance Lost - The background music is charming, and the occasional sound effects are top notch. Hook is okay. I'm not big on diss tracks though, and rap/spoken word needs a li'l more flow for my ear than I'm hearing here. The ending is really funny.

Berkeley Social Scene - Line cliche strong open, sounding pretty. Atmospheric and lovely chorus. Sublime guitar scream in the solo.

Cavedwellers - Immediately bumpin' and catchy in the verse.

Cybronica - This is awesome! Your voice is great and the presentation is bold and brash. The instrumentation is spare but this song sounds huge nonetheless.

The Friends - Sounds feel-good upon opener. Aw, nevermind :) I feel for this person. The music is good, complimentary to the topic.

Glennny - Strong bumpin' opener. Sick guitar licks between chorus and next verse. I'm not certain what's happening here thematically but it sounds sad.

MechaKarp - The harmonized vox sound cool. Feel-good sound. Sweet autotune breakdown. Now I see the lyrics, my goodness man!

Moss Palace - Strong line cliche opener. Slinky and mysterious, yet a sense of discomfort. Really fantastic breakdown.

Spintown - Nicely done pianos, great dynamics and mood shifting. Unstoppable force - did Song Fight too? "Glimpse of her skin" is kinda yucky if one's not up on video game parlance. e-girl is kinda weird too tho. Well, sounded pretty good

Starfinger - Love the grandiose style here, commitment and followthrough! The bass is so good and stinky. There are a lot of electronic sounds and effects I really appreciate but am unable to talk about - I like them though. This one's pretty baller.

Frankie Big Face - Nice layering in of different instrumentation and the line cliche applications are exceptionally pretty in the verse. Unstoppable force - did Song Fight too? I like how the phrase is sung in the turnaround.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - Let's get that line cliche outta the way immediately, whew! Once I had the line cliche the rest followed and then there was a protracted twiddling of knobs and a rando weird sample for good measure with ample doses of Valhalla Supermassive at the end. I am satisfied with the outcome, it might be one of my BWATBW favorites.

The Ujn Corporation - Epic synth opener, clearing the line cliche with ease. Sound is as dark and persisting, brooding, as the subject matter. I like the vocal overdubs.
“This is pandemonium, like a Heironymus Bosch painting set to music” - Pannacotta Army
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
Spintown
DeepMind
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

WreckdoMelle wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:31 am
Glimpse of her skin" is kinda yucky if one's not up on video game parlance. e-girl is kinda weird too tho.
True in both cases, but the word e-girl is thrown around A LOT by 12 year olds in Minecraft. Thanks for the reviews, hope to see you next round.