David Lynch

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

David Lynch

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I'm a huge David Lynch fan. I've seen Eraserhead probably 20 times, I actually own the soundtrack to it, consisting mostly of noise, but cool nevertheless.

I actually enjoyed Dune for its Lynchiness, despite the fact that it's awful if you look at it in terms of adapting the book.

For $10/month you can join http://www.davidlynch.com and get exclusive films and other cool stuff that comes from him.

I really admire him for his honest, authentic artistry. He is (or at least convincingly seems so) unfettered by Hollywoodism and ego, and is simply doing what he wants to do without making a big stink about it. In interviews he always comes across very open and genuine. He's a walking contradiction, since his work is so dark but his personality so light.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there. He's my favorite filmmaker.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

i love david lynch as well..
10 bucks huh. is it worth it?

-craig
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

his work is very good.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I loved Eraserhead, and I though Dune was okay, but I still have never dragged myself all the way through the book(s). Lost Highway bugged the hell out of me, in some ways it was meant to, but also in others it was not.

Oh well. I like the guy well enough.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

Yesterday, I was listening the HORSE the Band's R. Borlax album, and the song "Purple" uses a sample in the beginning that says "Have you ever done this before?..." Tonight, I just watched Mulholland Drive for the first time and noticed that the sample is from the first lesbian love scene in the movie. That was pretty fucked up coincidence considering I got the movie and the album on the same day. Anyway, I loved that movie, even though I couldn't really figure it out past the scene with the blue box. I was pretty confident through the first hour and 45 minutes, but damn, it got weird. I really like the camera work in that movie with the steadicam shots, subtle bobbing and all (also, the blurry effects)...it's all real solid. The jerky camera work and flashy editing in a lot of modern thriller-type movies can get pretty tiring after a while (I was thinking of Man on Fire...goddamn, that movie never quits and the excessive shakiness really weakens the effect since it is the entire damn movie). I'm probably going to have to watch Mulholland Drive again tomorrow.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Calfborg wrote: The jerky camera work and flashy editing in a lot of modern thriller-type movies can get pretty tiring after a while
Also in that new show "Lost." It's like they hired the cameraman from fucking Blair Witch.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Calfborg wrote:Anyway, I loved that movie, even though I couldn't really figure it out past the scene with the blue box. I was pretty confident through the first hour and 45 minutes, but damn, it got weird.
this will probably help you out with that.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

jute gyte wrote:
Calfborg wrote:Anyway, I loved that movie, even though I couldn't really figure it out past the scene with the blue box. I was pretty confident through the first hour and 45 minutes, but damn, it got weird.
this will probably help you out with that.
That was pretty helpful. I think I understand it now, mostly. I'll still have to watch it again. And probably again. I like how there's not music in the end credits, just ambient sound effects (at least initially). It sure is a lot cooler that way. Good soundtrack, overall.