Sin City

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

WeaselSlayer wrote:I hope this puts the comic book movie fad to bed for a while. I feel like now any comic book movie will immediately be overshadowed by this one. Bottom line is: the guy who did Daredevil (one of my favorite characters) also wrote Grumpier Old Men. And now he's going to do Ghostrider (another one of my favorites). Fuck that guy, seriously. And fuck the Fantastic Four. In general. I always rooted for Doom.
No shit, my friend. Sadly, Hollywood is now terminally obsessed with the notion of the franchise...

A halfway original idea that hits it big can spawn a dozen big-budget flops before they realize they have to move on, like fucking locusts.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

jb wrote: But Rodriguez really needs to learn how to get natural (even though stylized, yes I know thankyouverymuch) performances out of actors.
100% agree. Just because it's stylized doens't mean it has to be over the top so much, and just because it's over the top doesn't mean it has to be poorly acted. Several times, the too-cheezy delivery threw me out of the world of Sin City and back into the movie theater.

Rourke was one of the better ones, but Benicio del Toro was definitely the best.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I believe that turning comics into movies can work but it has to be done well and you have to pick the right source material. It can't just be a star vehicle like Elektra.

PS- F4 is going to be horrible because the books are horrible. I have no idea how F4 has survived so long. Is there an F4 reader or former reader that can explain their appeal. I can only remember one time I was even remotely interested in the books and that was when Tattletale came around but then they went overboard and had Tattletale destroy the whole world.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

In all honesty, I don't think I have yet to see a film (superhero) comic book adaptation that got it right. Some have come close. There's always something to spoil it. But then again, there's no reason to assume that it's a genre that lends itself to that conversion ...

I mean, how badly, did I want 'Mystery Men' to be good? And Fantastic four looks (from the few shots that have made it over here) to be not much better than CA.

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i really liked mystery men, but then again, i haven't read any comic books of it. it did have some flaws.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Don't get me wrong, Bill, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the comic, and you know, that's kind of how I feel about all comic adaptions. I guess my point was (now I think about it) that there's no reason they shoulkd be, but there's always going to be that disapointment for a comic book nerd like me ....

(for reference, i got really excited reading Doom Patrol #11 yesterday. I suddenly got caught up in it, and it isn't even that good ... )

j$
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

j$ wrote:In all honesty, I don't think I have yet to see a film (superhero) comic book adaptation that got it right. Some have come close.
The Crow did pretty well. Though I would've liked to see the horse run into the barb wire fence.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Niveous wrote:
j$ wrote:In all honesty, I don't think I have yet to see a film (superhero) comic book adaptation that got it right. Some have come close.
The Crow did pretty well. Though I would've liked to see the horse run into the barb wire fence.
I've basically never read any of the graphic novels that were made into movies. I thought The Crow was a great movie though.

And I have lots of nice memories of Superman, and I liked the Flash TV show. Danny Elfman theme!

Spider-Man 2 was great, I thought. I didn't care for the first one as much, and I'm already tired of the Green Goblin stuff.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

The Crow is a great movie until you know someone who thinks it is the GREATEST movie, no tongue in no cheek greatest movie ever. Then it is not so fun.
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dan Wrekenhaus 2 »

I saw this two nights ago, and as far as making a movie feel like a comic, they did a wonderful job in my opinion. I've not read any of the comics... when I was into comics, my personality was a little less on the dark side, and more into Marvel, particularly x-men. Which scene specifically was Tarantino's? I quite enjoyed Miho.
Even on the <a href="http://poemtastic.com">internet</a> I can't make friends.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Dan Wrekenhaus 2 wrote:when I was into comics, my personality was a little less on the dark side, and more into Marvel, particularly x-men. Which scene specifically was Tarantino's?
Tarantino's scene was the head in the toilet scene.

And what do you mean the X-Men isn't dark. Despite some candy coating, X-Men does play around with some heavy issues.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

Dan Wrekenhaus 2 wrote:Which scene specifically was Tarantino's?
Roger Ebert wrote:It's the scene in the car with Owen and Del Toro, who has a pistol stuck in his head.
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Yeah, it was one of the scenes in a car, because I read Rodriguez talking about how QT wanted to do it all analog but then it was gonna be all expensive so he caved on the digital and turned out to like it and now he's all "I'm gonna make a digital picture!"

If you think about it, that scene does have QT's smooth flow to it, with the macabre humor right until the violent end.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dan Wrekenhaus 2 »

Niveous wrote:
Dan Wrekenhaus 2 wrote:when I was into comics, my personality was a little less on the dark side, and more into Marvel, particularly x-men. Which scene specifically was Tarantino's?
Tarantino's scene was the head in the toilet scene.

And what do you mean the X-Men isn't dark. Despite some candy coating, X-Men does play around with some heavy issues.
well, I said my personality was less on the dark side... are we in agreement that Sin City is darker than X-Men? Especially during my days of comic reading, which would be circa 1993-1996-ish.
Even on the <a href="http://poemtastic.com">internet</a> I can't make friends.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I saw this last night, I enjoyed the shit out of it.
🤠
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

As is my way, I just saw this yesterday. It was the last night it was showing at this second-run theatre in Littleton, NH, and a buddy of mine gave me an extra free pass he had kicking around.
I had a great time watching this movie. It has its shortcomings, I guess, some avoidable, others maybe less so; but it was a lot of fun and I'd watch it again.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

I wrote:Well, I will give you all my opinion. When it opens here. In June. Which is quite soon, compred to most American exports .....

So I just saw it; So ... wow. I rescind my comment made elsewhere that there has never been a great comic > film adaptation. There has been one!

j$
Last edited by j$ on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Wow, there's usually that significant a delay in US films reaching your side of the pond? I find that surprising.

Oh, and in regards to (much) earlier comments, F4 doesn't seem too promising, but I DO remember enjoying The Thing's solo comic series quite a lot. I think they did 43 issues, and at one point I had nearly all of them.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

This is a great movie and really well made, but c'mon with the likes of Rodriguez and Tarantino at the helm how can you lose. I really thought the Philip Marlow style narration was excellent in realizing the intent of the characters. Something that I think is difficult for actors as they have to act the narration while performing other tasks. Very cool.

My favourite was Rourke. I heard that he's a tad difficult on set, but man what a performance. Just awesome. Plain awesome. And the women were red hot. Smokin film. And to think that the whole shooting match was assumedly all done in studio. Even better. Highly reccommended. Stylized. Slick. And Uber Sexy!!!!
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

a request for a spoiler

someone please explain the ending with elijah wood and that one chick in the elevator. i didn't get that part.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

*spoiler Supplied *

You mean Josh Hartnell. Elijah Wood is long dead by that point.

He's the assassin from the beginning of the film. He's been hired to take out the girl, revenge for her betraying the gang of prossies. It's tying up the loose ends.

j$
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

yeah, i meant josh hartnell.

i wasn't sure that he was an assassin. they didn't really make that clear. there was also some other stuff that i wasn't sure about, like how the story of the guy who was framed for killing the hooker tied into the story other than it shows the murder of roark and how messed up his family is. if that's what it was, they sure spent a lot of time proving that.