Is anyone using Audacity?

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Is anyone using Audacity?

Post by ken »

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I mean, it is totally free, but does anyone use it?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I used to use a beta version of it years ago to record single tape streams at work. Buc interviews via phone... easily stop and start..quick edit...then encode it to .wmv for a streaming server. Found it very useful for simple things like that. Thought the interface (at the time) wasn't condusive to deep multitrack editing. That and it crashed alot.

But I wish it was around when I FIRST started recording on a computer. It would have been alot better than some of the stuff I was using then.
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Free, Windows, Mac, Linux all identical. It's great for all that.

Easy and basic for aligning tracks and doing simple podcasts and such. Good basic EQ, normalization, etc. Not good for region-based editing, etc. but definately the starting point for free.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Dan-O from Five-O
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

I haven't used it as a program, but I often have it in various aspects in my life.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Southwest_Statistic
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Every song I've ever submitted.
I'm back.
Tonamel
DeepMind

Post by Tonamel »

Since my DAW of choice can't export to mp3, I use Audacity for that. Very little else, though.
Smalltown Mike
Mixtral
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:Every song I've ever submitted.
Really? I played with it once, but it crashed a lot on my Mac. This was several versions ago. But you use it for multitracking?
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
fodroy
Grok
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

from the release notes...

"Mac OS X: Fixed a major bug that caused Audacity to crash at seemingly-random times on Mac systems, especially during playback or recording."

*edit* i just downloaded this program. i will be using it quite a bit, i'm sure.
ken
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

What is your system? I was thinking about trying it on my p2 laptop.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Its got a good "make the sound go backward" tool that I use occaisionally. I can't do that on Garageband (I dont think).

Which sort of reminds me of a joke I heard the other day:

Hear about the dyslexic devil worshipper?
He sold his soul to Santa.
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i've got it here on my work comp (winxp) for the occasions that i need to edit audio... for work, of course :)
it's got a bit of a weird interface - i prefer the soundforge - but it's free!
some nice features. definitely check it out. haven't had crashing problems here.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Caravan Ray wrote:Its got a good "make the sound go backward" tool that I use occaisionally.
I remember once at work a long time ago we were using a filter in Adobe Premeire to make the audio/video go backwards. We upgraded and were upset that the filter wasn't there and/or wasn't compatable or something.

We probably went a week looking for something about this on the internet until one day I realized something. Tested it out. Worked.

You simply cut the part you wanted to go backwards out...copy and paste that if necessary and change the time span in seconds. Making it negative by adding a minus sign before it.
Me$$iah
DeepMind
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Smalltown Mike wrote:
Really? I played with it once, but it crashed a lot on my Mac. This was several versions ago. But you use it for multitracking?
ken wrote:
What is your system? I was thinking about trying it on my p2 laptop.

Ken

IIRC, then SWS uses Audacity to record samples, or a guit riff etc.
Then the cuts em up and fires em using a tracker program called:-
Renoise
tho I could be making this up, But I think I read that somewhere

Ive looked at Renoise, but it seems really complicated to me. I prefer cubase
But it also reminds me of Notator(sp) on the old Amiga, which altho I could use it, I never really liked it, or the way it worked. Even then I preferd cubase* and the ,IMHO, the more logical way it worked. But heh each to his own an all that

Messiah

*tho the cubase Im talking about were versions 2.11 up and I dont mean VST or nothing
fodroy
Grok

Post by fodroy »

Caravan Ray wrote:Its got a good "make the sound go backward" tool that I use occaisionally. I can't do that on Garageband (I dont think).
do you know of a way to import files from audacity into garageband? garageband doesn't seem to be very good when it comes to using files from other programs or even wav or mp3 files.
Tonamel
DeepMind

Post by Tonamel »

Well, just on the merit of it being GarageBand, wouldn't it play nicer with aiff than wav? (Audacity can export aiff, if this is the case)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

fodroy wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Its got a good "make the sound go backward" tool that I use occaisionally. I can't do that on Garageband (I dont think).
do you know of a way to import files from audacity into garageband? garageband doesn't seem to be very good when it comes to using files from other programs or even wav or mp3 files.
I export the sound from Audacity as a wav (to the Desktop) - then drag & drop the wav into GB.

I've never had problems dragging wavs or mp3 into GB from either the desktop or iTunes. It all seems to work pretty well
fodroy
Grok

Post by fodroy »

Tonamel wrote:Well, just on the merit of it being GarageBand, wouldn't it play nicer with aiff than wav? (Audacity can export aiff, if this is the case)
hmm. well, i guess i'll have to play with it some more. i only saw the options of exporting as wav, mp3 and ogg vorbis...vorg abbis...orb of doom. something.
Caravan Ray wrote: I export the sound from Audacity as a wav (to the Desktop) - then drag & drop the wav into GB.

I've never had problems dragging wavs or mp3 into GB from either the desktop or iTunes. It all seems to work pretty well
i haven't tried drag and drop yet. i'll have to do that.

thanks, fellas.
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

fodroy wrote:hmm. well, i guess i'll have to play with it some more. i only saw the options of exporting as wav, mp3 and ogg vorbis...vorg abbis...orb of doom. something.
<a href="http://www.vorbis.com/faq/">Ogg Vorbis</a> - open source uncompressed audio goodness. Not well supported but growing. Big in the live show bootleg jamband crowd.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Plat
DeepMind
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

roymond wrote:<a href="http://www.vorbis.com/faq/">Ogg Vorbis</a> - open source uncompressed audio goodness. .
You might be confusing this with <a href="http://flac.sourceforge.net/">FLAC</a> (or ogg flac for that matter).

Vorbis is neat and all, but it's lossy. Definitely 'compressed' for both. And now for something less pedantic...