Absolute beginner on condensor mics

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
boltoph
Claude
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

I agree with the idea of buying a '57

but back to condensers....

In terms of condensers I would have to say that in my experience, unless you've got the money for Neumanns or Blue mics, AKG or Audio-Technica really make the best condenser mics within a moderate budget. (Not counting matched pairs of AKG C4000's, of course...those things are pricey and are also industry standard)

If you are on a tighter budget, go with MXL or Octava. Rode is also an option, also I have a friend with a Nady condenser that I actually like, and it's got the figure 8 pattern too.

Don't bother with any condensers except for large diaphragm condensers, unless you are recording cymbals or wind instruments.

Above all, rök.
Sober
Grok
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

AT3035.

I have a pair of them. $199, comes with shockmount. They're a little bright, but they work great for vocals and guitar. They'll also take a beating, which one of mine has. There are still chunks of wood stuck in the wire mesh.
🤠
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hey sober, I can't see that picture - could you make it nevada-sized?

:)

j$
Dan-O from Five-O
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

blue wrote:cardioid -vs- omni, not dynamic -vs- condenser. at least one of those pickups is a mic. it only takes one exception to prove an absolute statement incorrect.

JOO R PWNZED. ADMIT IT.
Your game sir. I submit. DOH!
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
bz£
Claude

Post by bz£ »

I like my Oktava, because it was cheap and is labelled in Cyrillic characters. It makes you think you're using some crazy old WWII castoff that was found in a warehouse in Siberia, which is, well, at least it's a different sort of vibe. And it has all the hallmarks of quality manufacturing that made the Soviet Union the world power that it is today.