Acoustic Guitar recording and processing: Fishman Aura

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
stueym
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Acoustic Guitar recording and processing: Fishman Aura

Post by stueym »

As some of you know I have a definite thing for Ovation/Adamas guitars. Despite this I bought earlier this year my first Martin. That said while it is a traditional OMC with spruce and rosewood and “42â€
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

The Martin sounds fantastic. The other two sound like they were recorded from too far away without enough gain on the mic, not nearly as full and rich.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
stueym
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

jb wrote:The Martin sounds fantastic. The other two sound like they were recorded from too far away without enough gain on the mic, not nearly as full and rich.
Thanks JB. May also be a function of the amount of other stuff going on in those other songs versus a pure and clear picked guitar sound. I also found that when I tried to strum the OMC with the same settings that it boomed like crazy, just like you get for real if you tried to record a mic'd acoustic if you dont adjust position, compression and EQ.

The Aura Pedal actually allows you to have way more images (50) that you can cycle through whereas the built-in pre-amp has only 8 but of course they are perfected to be for the Martin and are built-in to the guitar for convenience. The pedal however allows you to have seperate gain, compression settings, EQ and reverb settings for each of the 50 image slots which allows you to have seperate patches for strum/pick styles just to allow for that issue.

Also I sense I may need to do this properly and do a blind test with everyone to make sure I dont get any Ovation plastic guitar prejudice happening. :twisted:
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

stueym wrote:Also I sense I may need to do this properly and do a blind test with everyone to make sure I dont get any Ovation plastic guitar prejudice happening. :twisted:
That's easy. No one will mess with Mr Sparkles.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face