Swimming With Sharks

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Swimming With Sharks

Post by Adam! »

Saw this on a whim, drawn in by Kevin Spacey and a very young looking Benicio Del Toro (the movie came out in 1994 and just got a DVD release). Frank Whaley plays a wannabe script writer who gets the dubiously prestigious job of personal assistant to an executive, Kevin Spacey, at Touchstone… whoops, I mean KEYstone pictures. Whaley’s character is ignorant of the Hollywood machine and sort of a shmuck; Spacey’s is just the opposite as a seemingly-over-the-top-but-probably-accurate narcissistic, cruel movie exec. IMDB seems to be down or something right now, so I can’t confirm my suspicion that the writer of this movie was very obviously writing of his own experiences. The movie, about Whaley getting revenge on his sadistic boss, plays like a mean-spirited self-referential Hudsucker Proxy. The love interest is played by Michelle Forbes, and it took me nearly half the movie to figure out where I’d seen her before (Star Trek: TNG and not much else).

Ultra-Mild Spoilers

Starts off very witty and engaging but runs out of steam somewhere around the one hour mark. It picks up again for the moderately baffling and somewhat forced ending. The character development throughout the movie is excellent. And Kevin Spacey is fan-fucking-tastic, further solidifying my creepy man-crush on him. Mean-spirited and fun for the first half, then mean-spirited and weird for the last half. A-
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Yeah great movie. SwS got almost a full minute being quoted in Dot the i.