Headphones for vocals

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Andy Balham
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Headphones for vocals

Post by Andy Balham »

I'm on the lookout for a new set of headphones for recording vocals. My open existing Sennheisers have got somwhat battered by many a wine-tinged recording sesion and they leaked terribly due to their open design.

What I'm after is a reasonably priced set of cans that have fair reproduction and reasonable isolation. Ideally they would be pretty robust too. The plastic band at the top of the Sennheisr copped it easily when pretty tipsy.

As alway, all help/advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

just for tracking, any open-back headphone should work fine. if you have good monitoring, closed phones are nice because you won't run the risk of the track or click bleeding back into your take.
ken
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Extreme Isolation headphones are great for avoiding click bleed.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Kamakura
Claude
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

I generally use either Beyer DT100's or Beyer DT880's, though recently I've been using Sony 'in the ear' walkman type things which are actually damn good, and cheap to boot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Sober
Grok
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I like my Senn HD280's (Fluffy uses them too), as the isolation both within and without are amazing. I'll practice drums with them on, so it's not so hard on the ears.

But for a little less money, any of the 1400 series senn's should be allright. I had the 1445's (I think) and they worked great until the plugins to the ears frayed apart.

Audio Technica make some allright ones, too.
🤠
Märk
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

I have this old-ass pair of 70s era Sony cans which completely isolate all outside noise. I mean, all I can hear when I put them on in is my tinninitus ringing. And like, I suppose if someone fired a gun right beside my head, I'd hear a dull 'pop', but other than that.

Trouble is, they are painful after 20 minutes or so. Also, the sound quality is pretty dull and flat. I use them for doing vocals, because nothing gets past them to bleed back into the track. For any other headphone use, I use my SOny MDR-V5s, which are amazing headphones. They currently have a piece of tape holding them together where they broke. I'll replace them with an identical pair if I can find some.
* this is not a disclaimer
frankie big face
DALL-E
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs and they work fine, but sound dramatically different from the open-backed Sennheiser HD-565s I use for reference and mixing. But they don't bleed, so they work well for vox. I believe there is another model, the ATH-B40?, which has a bass boost or something.

More often than not, I just "let it bleed" and use the Sennheisers because it doesn't matter too much for the kind of music I make.
Andy Balham
DeepMind

Post by Andy Balham »

Cheers for all the feedback. I think I may continue to use the Sennheisers for vocals and 'let it bleed' until they finally clap out completely. For recording acoustic against a click track I'll follow Kamakura's suggestion and use my in-ear Sonys which I'd forgotten about.
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

i highly recommend recording vox without monitoring the voice. someone.. George Massey, maybe, was bitching about vocalists who listen to themselves sing and end up chasing their voice in the cans rather than singing the part. at least with our singer, this is spot on.
Märk
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

blue wrote:i highly recommend recording vox without monitoring the voice. someone.. George Massey, maybe, was bitching about vocalists who listen to themselves sing and end up chasing their voice in the cans rather than singing the part. at least with our singer, this is spot on.
Hmmmm

You know, I might be guilty of this myself. So what you're saying is turn the vocal monitoring right off when recording vox? Don't you find this a bit disconcerting? I've never tried doing that myself, but I'd imagine it would take some getting used to.
* this is not a disclaimer
Andy Balham
DeepMind

Post by Andy Balham »

blue wrote:i highly recommend recording vox without monitoring the voice.
I had heard from somewhere that just having headphones over one ear helps the vocalist keep in tune, though I hadn't considered trying not monitoring the voice at all. I shall give it a go, I need all the help I can get :)
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

If you don't feed some voice back to yourself you'll wind up oversinging. If you're an expert, fine, but if you're not, give yourself a break and let yourself hear yourself while you record. Also, add a little reverb to the mix to help you keep from oversinging-- it doesn't have to go in the real mix, only the monitoring.

And if you really want to have vocal effects on a track, you should have them running while you record the track, so that you can "play" the effect like an instrument. Much more effective than singing dry and then applying the effect later.

But I guess this has nothing to do with headphones does it... carry on.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Henrietta
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

blue wrote:i highly recommend recording vox without monitoring the voice.
I'd be too fraidy-cat to try that. It's hard enough singing on-key live when you can't hear the vox in the monitor... I couldn't record that way.

I'm sure for lots of people, like your singer, working without monitors helps them more than it hinders them.... I think for me though, monitors are a neccesary substitute for being able to hear yourself naturally & acoustically. Your brain needs some feedback to make sure your voice is doing what you imagine (& hope) it's doing.

(I've tried that "vocal monitor headphone covering just one ear" thing, and that works really well for getting enough monitor to stay on pitch... at least I like to think so ;) )

For headphones, I like my Sennheiser HD-280's.
Kamakura
Claude

Post by Kamakura »

blue wrote:I highly recommend recording vox without monitoring the voice.
Drummers eh? :roll:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

blue
Grok

Post by blue »

jb wrote:If you don't feed some voice back to yourself you'll wind up oversinging. If you're an expert, fine, but if you're not, give yourself a break and let yourself hear yourself while you record. Also, add a little reverb to the mix to help you keep from oversinging-- it doesn't have to go in the real mix, only the monitoring.
i'm surprised to hear that from you.. i figured you'd be well in the camp of "learn the song and sing the bit." have you tried it w/out monitoring?

i read this in tape-op, so it has to be true. 8)
frankie big face
DALL-E
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

jb wrote:And if you really want to have vocal effects on a track, you should have them running while you record the track, so that you can "play" the effect like an instrument. Much more effective than singing dry and then applying the effect later.
Yeah, but then you can't take them away if they don't work, right? (Well, maybe you computer guys can, but I can't) I usually have effects on when I'm singing, but not too much because I find I sing flat sometimes when I have effects on--don't know why exactly.

I think I would find it hard to sing a track without monitoring the vocal track, but I can't say I've ever tried. I do so much close-mic singing and at varying volumes--I just don't know if I could gauge the level without a reference. But I'm going to try it because Blue is my friend and he said so. :)
jack
Stable Diffusion
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Henrietta wrote:
For headphones, I like my Sennheiser HD-280's.
me too. i absolutely love them. everything i mix is done with them.
Hi!
Dan-O from Five-O
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Are there any decent wireless headphones out there? I swear, of all the cords laying on my floor at any given time, the headphone cord is the one I consistently step on. I hate that. They either come ripping off of my head or go flying on the floor when they're laying on the desk. Damn that's frustrating.

Ayway, wireless? Good, bad, indifferent?
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Steve Durand
Claude
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Dan-O,
I was having this problem too. I just got a pair of Sony 7506 headphones and they have a coiled cord that doesn't droop down to the floor. They are also excellent headphones for monitoring because they have a very flat response.

Steve
Kamakura
Claude

Post by Kamakura »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Are there any decent wireless headphones out there? wireless? Good, bad, indifferent?
I have a pair of Sennheiser HDR 120's which are good, though I use them more for vegging out to the tube than recording because there is occasional slight transmission noise. They have a charging station they live on when not in use.

HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

So I'm moving offices at work to one with a roommate, and will probably need to get some headphones for listening to music. Figure something that's very comfortable (so I can wear them all day if I need to), doesn't actually go in my ear (that's not comfortable), and isn't closed design so I can hear if somebody talks to me. Oh, also, not crazy expensive since it's for listening, not mastering or something. Are any of the ones mentioned here good for that -or- does somebody have a suggestion?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Sober
Grok
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Anything in Sennheiser's 1400 series should do the trick. That's what I used to have.
🤠