Like the Cover Art? Tell us why...

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Like the Cover Art? Tell us why...

Post by bortwein »

Like the Cover Art (or not)? Tell us why...
This replaces that ArtFight (Cover Art Reviews) Thread of old.
Just say something nice we are a sensitive bunch.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Laugh Riot

Post by bortwein »

Tawny and Plat: Laugh Riot is really funny. I love it! Great cover this week.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i like the cover art because it makes the front page less boring.
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

thx!

Post by Tawny »

Thanks Bortwein! :) Yours turned out well this week, too. I especially like the layering and contrast. Kewl!

Are you sending in anything for the pending cover? I would have considered it if I had off today. Hopefully someone rises to the opportunity.

For Chaos vs. Order, I thought it would have made for a good super hero comic strip artwork. If anyone wants to run with that ...

Tawny
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Re: Laugh Riot

Post by Plat »

bortwein wrote:Tawny and Plat: Laugh Riot is really funny. I love it! Great cover this week.
Thanks! :) ... and if you look closely, you'll find that the crowd (particularly the red guy, and not so much the cop guy) is "under a (quarter note) rest".
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tawny »

I was a little late in submitting art for Motor Psycho. I'm sure it won't top last week's Laugh Riot though. (Fun like that will only happen when both Plat and I have weekends off) :)
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

The guitar smashage atop the trophy is pretty sweet for Tri-State Area. How'd you do that? Did you actually make a 3-D model?
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Plat wrote:The guitar smashage atop the trophy is pretty sweet for Tri-State Area. How'd you do that? Did you actually make a 3-D model?
3D modeling... heck no, just a lot of line, tracing, and shade shade shade. It's all in the art of light and shadows.

I love Motor Psycho cover art this week. Very cool. It takes you in and makes you look around. And Great use of font style.

As for mine... I think I could have done better, but I'm overlly critical of myself and my work.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Trailblazin'

Post by bortwein »

I just sent in a cover for Trailblazin'
Have a peek:
http://homepage.mac.com/bortwein/songfight/trailblazer/
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tawny »

Thanks bortwein!
Both of your covers this week were awesome. For Tri-State, I appreciate the little details like the casted shadows. The shading was impressive. Trailblazin' was fun, too. Was the bike in motion in the pic or did you add that effect later on? Hopefully, they'll get rid of the cover art pending soon. Nice job!
Tawny
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tawny »

I'm taking on Shower Scene this week (not that no one else can of course; I just felt like declaring). Are there any movie buffs out there who can tell me what name is of the black and white board that displays the take number between scenes. For example, the director says, "Fight Club, take 32 *click*" I'm completely blanking on its name!
Tawny
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Tawny wrote:I'm taking on Shower Scene this week (not that no one else can of course; I just felt like declaring). Are there any movie buffs out there who can tell me what name is of the black and white board that displays the take number between scenes. For example, the director says, "Fight Club, take 32 *click*" I'm completely blanking on its name!
Tawny
clapper board.

j$
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Shower Scene: Are we seeing Tawny's toes? ooooh, how interesting. Great job.

Start Over: No need to start over on this cover. Good job, I like the witty computer humor take on this, it works out really well.

Eggplant: This was fun to make.
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tawny »

Yep those are indeed my toes. Image didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. I actually drew everything in that image (eyes, soap, toes) and planned to do some foreground to transparent gradients to show part of the drawing. But unless I'm missing something, there is no way to do that type of gradient mask in Elements. (I tried the tips from the old forum, too.) Next time, I'll plan ahead and do that kind of fancy stuff at work. :) For what I could do, it turned out all right.

Anyhoo ...

Start Over: I like it a lot. All of my own brainstorming for this title became too complicated and I appreciate how you took a simple idea and ran with it. Everyone can relate to it!

Eggplant: On the other hand, I like how this cover takes the title to an inventive level that most people wouldn't think of. And I maintain that looking back, people will always remember the art that makes them giggle more so than the art that makes them think deeply. (That's just the way many people are these days!) This is a great cartoon drawing. Do you draw straight in photoshop or do you sketch something first and scan it in? (If you don't mind me asking.)
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Tawny wrote:
Eggplant: ... This is a great cartoon drawing. Do you draw straight in photoshop or do you sketch something first and scan it in? (If you don't mind me asking.)
Well this time around, I did two different techniques. For the Evil Eggplants, I sketched out on a post-it note what I thought a scary evil eggplant would look like. I used photos I found on the web for shape and color reference, but only as reference. I then used illustrator and created each shape, then using one of the brushes in the program I scribbled across a few texture-esk type lines to make it feel less illustrator. That is a technique I taught myself over the years. I think it looks better than the straight out color block shapes in certain intances.

As for the little boy, the only thing I did different here, is I reseached photos for "Heros" and came across a photo os a little boy with the same stance. I then took that into illustrator and used it as a guide to make my little boy look just right. I changed the outfit to match what I was thinking he should be wearing. ie: he was wearing a shirt and jeans with a cape, but I wanted him to look like he was in footie-pajamas with a cape. I created my own head and face, but the body outline was matched from the photo to get the stance just right.

As for the text treatment, it was inspired by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game cover, but I changed up a few of the angles and used my own font choice with typography edits.

I tried different colored background, but I kept coming back to the basic gray that was similar to the TMNT cover.

I hope that explains what you were asking me.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

the eggplants kinda remind me of the eggplants from courage the cowardly dog.

you can find a picture of one here if you want to know what they look like.

*edit. btw. i liked it.

i also really like start over. great job, voice.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

the shower scene one is my fave this week...
the eggplant one is cool 2... deffinately has a goofy superhero look to it... that i think a title like that deserves... \m/

really cool how you got the start over one to look like a windows error page... (or well that page that comes up when everything stops workin' cause too much is goin' at once... sucks when that happens)...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Tawny
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tawny »

Well I crunched and got something in for "I Thought I Loved You." It's 4 a.m. Tuesday so I hope it doesn't suck. :D

I'm already excited about the new fight!
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Post by bortwein »

The Good :?, The Bad :evil: , and the Ugly :oops: !

Fightmasters! You guys rock! :idea: I love the new cover art index. :idea: Keep up the great work. :wink:

Only thing I just noticed. When I submitted my 2nd cover for Nearly Burned The House Down, it ended up taking it as a different title than the earlier one I submitted under Nearly Burned the House Down, with a lower case t on the. Just wanted to point it out, so if you have ideas on fixing it, or don't care if it splits up same titles due to misspelling or letter case.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

spud has said it will be his project for the forseeable future to work on the art index to fix stuff like that, and also to create database entries for older, non-indexed artwork. so that problem should be cleared up eventually, bort. and three cheers for spud for doing all this work on the songs archive, and now the new artwork archive. yay! 8)
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Hello.

I just wanted to say that bortwein is a genius. I've been thinking this privately for a while, but after this week's fight I feel as if I have a moral obligation to share that with the rest of you.

Thank you, that is all.
-- reve mosquito.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

Absolutely great "nearly burned the house down" graphic this week. Excellent work, Bort. Is that stock art or a gas stove near you?