Blab about the Boob Tube.
stueym
DeepMind
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Doctor Who 2005/6

Post by stueym »

Okay so we had already watched all the Chris Eccleston eps earlier this year as my son managed to snatch them off "torrent" and they were all awesome. Great to see the franchise in safe hands.

So the UK Region 2 box set (courtesy of Amazon.co.uk and our chipped DVD player) was one of his presents on Christmas Day. In return by 8pm EST on Christmas Day night he had ready burned on DVD the latest episode that showed on BBC earlier that day which we watched on our 62". Fan-bloody-tastic!!!

Great self contained episode, brought everything right up to date. The character is safe in the hands of Mr Tenant as the latest incarnation of the Doctor (which was a worry as I really liked the way Chris Eccleston had handled it!). Writing was top notch and the characterization was fantastic. Realistically scary moments and nice sci-fi premises for the mind control bit. The female PM's going all dark right at the very end was awesome and Blimey! they even killed two characters for shits and giggles!

So I really wish that a US broadcaster (Cable or terrestial) would pick up this awesome show. The Canucks already get it thanks to CBC I believe. Also watch out for vibe on the spin-off Torchwood, coming from the same team. Its gonna be yummy!
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
anti-m
Grok
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Yay!

Post by anti-m »

Ahhhh! I'm glad you like the new Doctor! I was also concerned that Tenant wouldn't measure up to Eccleston, so it's good to hear a positive review. I can't wait to watch the Christmas invasion...which I hope to do as soon as I'm back hooooome.
Leaf
DALL-E
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I SUPPOSE I SHOULD MENTION THAT THERE ARE "spoilers" BEYOND THIS POINT....

I watched the new one last night. I enjoyed it, but honestly, what kind of alien attacking race would be scared of one dude? The alien kills off two humans without a moment's hesitation, but the doctor says hang on a minute while I catch up with friends, and just lets him rip open the mind control device?? There were parts of this episode that were excellent, and parts that sucked, because they made no sense...not in a "no sense but it's scifi kinda way", but in a does not make any sense period.

Fortunately, it's only one episode, and Tenant will make a great doctor. Eccelseton (sp on me) was just wicked as the doctor, but I think Tennant (two n's or one?) will be just as good. He had some good lines.

But c'mon...45 minutes and the doctor's still in bed regenerating... I've never seen a regeneration take so long... sure, sure maybe it's a new thing that supposedly always happened, but way to waste lots of good doctor time!!!

I was digging the show though, goo humour, well filmed, good introduction of new doctor, just wish the ending of the alien invasion wasn't so lame... and the sword fight choreagraphy sucked too.

But damn Rose is hot. Hot hot hot.

And the new doctor rocks.
stueym
DeepMind

Post by stueym »

SciFi has picked up the new Doctor Who and will be airing it from March according to BBC website. Bad news is this has apparently delayed the release of Region 1 DVD's even for Canada....Boo Hiss! :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/scifi.shtml
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Leaf
DALL-E
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

AS long as it doesn't delay season 2 in Canada...
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Season 2's been running and I've been missing it?! Jeeze.
mc3p0
Alpaca

Post by mc3p0 »

I agree with Leaf - Rose is a big relief. Leela was excellent for period episodes like 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' (I think the first television show to ever represent the Tongs), but Rose is refreshingly cheeky and clever at it. Oh, and kittenishly sexy-keen too - a perfect match for the Doctor's literal geektitude. "You two go.. pollenate.."

btw - I have no idea where to put this, but the Sci-Fi channel has been playing those BMW ads with the "Oooh, SCHNAPP! German engineering in da haus ya'll." Isn't that Peter Stormare from Fargo? Uh, he's swede ya'll. Representera!
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
fodroy
Grok
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

mc3p0 wrote:btw - I have no idea where to put this, but the Sci-Fi channel has been playing those BMW ads with the "Oooh, SCHNAPP! German engineering in da haus ya'll." Isn't that Peter Stormare from Fargo? Uh, he's swede ya'll. Representera!
best commercials ever. and yes, that's peter stormare.
stueym
DeepMind

Post by stueym »

mc3p0 wrote:I agree with Leaf - Rose is a big relief. Leela was excellent for period episodes like 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' (I think the first television show to ever represent the Tongs), but Rose is refreshingly cheeky and clever at it. Oh, and kittenishly sexy-keen too - a perfect match for the Doctor's literal geektitude. "You two go.. pollenate.."

btw - I have no idea where to put this, but the Sci-Fi channel has been playing those BMW ads with the "Oooh, SCHNAPP! German engineering in da haus ya'll." Isn't that Peter Stormare from Fargo? Uh, he's swede ya'll. Representera!
Sadly I have had a Billie Piper crush for a number of years. She was a 15 yr old pop sensation in the UK with a number bland girl pop songs post Spice Girls. The she married Chris Evans (shudders...dirty old man!)....

As Rose she has matured nicely...most fanciable again and I think she does a great job.

As to the car ads with Peter ...ahem....VW in dah house! and they are awesome :-)

"Time to un-pimp der auto!"
Bjam
Grok
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Mhmm. I approve of David Tennant dancing around in various coloured IV fluids, even if the plot this week was hole-y :) Next week's episode looks pretty good.
Songfighter since back in the day.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

Anyone have any good torrent sources for those of us who are cable- and BBC-impaired?
raisedbywolves
Alpaca

Post by raisedbywolves »

David Tennant is a total hottie, even if I'm not quite sold on the sideburns. I've quite suddenly become a Doctor Who fan.
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
mc3p0
Alpaca

Post by mc3p0 »

fluffy wrote:Anyone have any good torrent sources for those of us who are cable- and BBC-impaired?
Have u tried google? It gives me Image.
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
stueym
DeepMind

Post by stueym »

fluffy wrote:Anyone have any good torrent sources for those of us who are cable- and BBC-impaired?
http://www.doctorwhotorrents.com

And can I just say that the season finale doubleheader (episodes 28x12 and 28x13) were totally awesome. I cannot spolier but OMG it was awesome bringing together numerous current storylines and old franchise faves. Beautiful balance of strong emotions, great action scenes for a BBC funded sci-fi show and great teaser set-up for the Christmas special which seems to be a fixture for this new incarnation of the Doctor.
Leaf
DALL-E

Post by Leaf »

I enjoyed it. There's always a bit of cheese with a doctor episode, but for some reason I don't mind with these shows. No spoilers either... but a real good, fun episode ( the finale).
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

I've been watching it via tvtorrent.info. I just saw episode 11. I am most certainly ignoring that long post steuym just posted.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

They have only just started showing the Tennant Doctor on Australian TV. So we have been exposed to one episode, and I think it looks like it is going in a good direction.

I am interested to see if having fruit in his pockets becomes a regular thing. Like Baker's Doctor... but with a healthy eating message for today.
anti-m
Grok
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

I agree the two part finale was kick-ass...but I am freaked out!

(For reasons I evidently should not discuss further... to avoid being a spoiley-spoiler.)

Can't we have a Halloween or Guy Fawkes special just to tide us over? December is so far away!
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

mc3p0 wrote:I agree with Leaf - Rose is a big relief. Leela was excellent for period episodes like 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' (I think the first television show to ever represent the Tongs), but Rose is refreshingly cheeky and clever at it. Oh, and kittenishly sexy-keen too - a perfect match for the Doctor's literal geektitude. "You two go.. pollenate.."
I've never seen it until it played on the plane I just got off of. I thought Rose was Sarah Alexander from Coupling, which is what kept my attention at first. But now it may keep my attention for being sort of strangely...I don't know.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

Wow, lots of fun curveballs in that. Some of the dialog was pretty funny. The ending made me cry. Until it made me laugh. Damn you BBC for playing with my emotions!
stueym
DeepMind

Post by stueym »

fluffy wrote:Wow, lots of fun curveballs in that. Some of the dialog was pretty funny. The ending made me cry. Until it made me laugh. Damn you BBC for playing with my emotions!
LOL...I thought you'd like it...I wonder how we get a decent discussion going without spoilering all the poor folks who will have to wait until 2007 on Sci-Fi to see it???? I know new thread!!!!