Songfight Live: Santa Cruz 2006

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
e money
A New Player

Post by e money »

I wanted to chime in and say that Jack, Spud, Ken and the greater Songfight community puts on one hell of a party. Life seems to pass by quickly with 2 small kids, a full time job, and weekly gigs/rehearsals with a band, which is my (partially lame) excuse for only contributing to one Songfight entry in the past couple of years. But hanging out with such a vastly cool and talented group of people makes me glad to be even a small part of this close-to-utopian musical realm. Everybody rocked hard (even those who rocked gently).

So, thanks Jack, Spud, Ken, Blue, Glenn - and everyone else - for a great time.

E Money of Brody
aka Jefferson
Last edited by e money on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spontaneity is the mother of lusciousness
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Caravan Ray Oi Oi Oi wrote:Just arrived home and kissed the tarmac at Brisbane's Barry Gibb International Aeroport.

Very pleasant trip home - though LAX is the most horrible airport on earth

Now...I will sleep
Glad you're home safe... and that you're not goign to work today.
White people, is you funky?
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

For me the great live music from everyone was just the topper, on what was an AWSOME!!! Event. (Those who did not make it, kick yourself in the head.. if dexterity lets you)

What I enjoyed the most was meeting such an eclectic bunch of characters.
From the pure comic oddballs such as Marcus Kellies, Ben (charcoal), fluffy and Caravan Ray (oi oi oi)
These guys are naturally funny, and best part, they don’t even know it.

Then you got the party animals like pray for mojo, and Jeff (seriously dude, AdultA.D.D)
That can light up a crowd.

Primitive crewheads pretty much, brought in the funk and Jazz that an event like this really can’t go with out. Loved Freudian slip Jazzy vocals too, and rabid’s theremin .

Everybody else, from Jack, to Ken & crew, spud, King Arthur, Blue, Glenn / Rachel, Hoblit, the Bewells ( some of the lyrics to your all tan, made the hair of back of my neck stand up, glad you guys won, great song.), stuy, and daughter bjam ( thanks again for singing with me, your vocals just keep getting exponentially better.), future boy, heather, JB, Puce, plat , and anyone am forgetting, are the most nicest down to earth, and talented people I have known.

Special thanks to Jack and spud, but lets not forget ken and lukenhead for being stage managers, and knowing where in the fuck all those cables ran out to.

Brody was just the right band to close off the event.

Biggest surprise was meeting drew from phunt your friends, as he pretty much showed up , unannounced.

I guess to sum it up, all of you are a bunch of talented wackos…
I love it.

Dre
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Thanks so much to Jack Shite for organizing this all. Your couch is way comfy for sitting and listening to rock being made. Spud was an awesome MC, and Ken and Blue were great for drumming for so many people.

It was awesome to see people, especially: Glenn (with his awesome guitar), prayformojo (I always thought you'd be kinda scary and never want to talk to me, but you're unbelievably nice, and great on stage), ladypfm (it was awesome talking to you on Saturday night), Hoblit (hanging out with you for livefight was a crazy amount of fun), Ben (third time! You've been to every SF event I've beent to), Puce (wonderful job harmonizing bagels, it's a shame the livefight acapella plan never came to be), Plat (did you ever get all the sand out the Casio?), Caravan Ray/Tex Beaumont/John (not quite Hugh Jackman, but I guess I can settle Wink it's so awesome you came all the way over here just for SFL.)

Plat and Tawny are by far the best driving couple ever. Thanks guys for giving me a ride on Saturday night. (And thanks to fluffy and Puce for squishing up with me in the back of the car. Whoever designed all backseat seat-belts to meet at the middle passenger's butt was not very clever. Or very clever.)

Also, thanks to Plat for giving me the COW! The Cow Exchange happened and the cow sat with me on the plane ride home. (I got a few funny looks walking through security with a great cow in my arms.)

This was my first time to California and omgpretty. It's definitely on the 'place to go to college' list now.

And really, Songfighters are all really nice. It's just such a shame that by the time everyone's warmed up that it's time to go home.
Songfighter since back in the day.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Bjam wrote: prayformojo (I always thought you'd be kinda scary and never want to talk to me, but you're unbelievably nice, and great on stage)
Scary? Really? Damn. I never thought of myself as scary. I mean, I've got a pretty mean tiger face, but other than that...

Well, I'm glad you are not scared of me now. You should come college shopping in LA like we talked about.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

dre wrote:but lets not forget ken and lukenhead for being stage managers, and knowing where in the fuck all those cables ran out to.
Yes! Do not understate the importance of that. Hell, with all the amps and cables and pedals and DI's on that stage I had no clue what was connected where or even how. But I merely had to grab a guitar and ask "where does this go?" and - POOF! - Ken the Magic Cable Pixie appears out of nowhere and gets me all plugged in proper.

Anyway, where to begin? What a weekend. This was my third SF show and I just keep meeting more and more of you and it seems to get more and more enjoyable every time. Everyone was so cool and such great performers and blah blah blah I know it sounds like a broken record but it's all TRUE, dammit!

Special shoutouts go to:

Rabid and Freud - for being such good houseguests.

Glenn, Blue, Ken - how on Earth do you find time to learn and rehearse all those songs for all those sets? I find it truly astounding. Even if you were just winging it, that was some damned fine winging.

Jack - for, well, everything. The use of your living quarters, the arrangements, the directions, that kickass song about pickles and ice cream, everything.

Spud - for being such a great on-field boss, as it were.

Caravan Ray and JB - for affording me the opportunity to join in your inspired mayhem. Oh, and, uh, OI OI OI!!!

prayformojo - for playing Husky Youth again. That just does not get old.

The entire gang
- for being model ass-kickers in general.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

puce and plat rehearsed their set at least 8, maybe 10 times in 3 days. unfortunately, i think we did a different arrangement of "daughter" every single time, so i eff'ed it up live. :)

but anyways, they are model songfight live citizens.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jefff »

bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

This past weekend was incredible. I keep having random moments pop into my head and can't keep from smiling. Attending an event for the first time was a little overwhelming with all of that music and meeting everyone for the first time (but hopefully only the first of many times to come). Going to a live event opens up a whole new dimension of the SongFight! experience.

I have to echo the gratitude expressed thus far to everyone involved in planning the event and keeping it running so smoothly...Jack, Spud with the MCing and keeping things running on time, Ken and Sam keeping the gear in order. And it seemed like Ken, Blue, and Glenn were up there half the time bringing the Rock! Great job everyone.

Some highlights for me included...
King Arthur with a great opener for the event, being part of the hour-long break for the drummers (stueym, me and my sister, Bjam, and Glenn and Rachael)...loved those sets, especially Glenn and Rachael's "Need Stilts", experiencing a Marcus Kellis live performance, watching Puce and Plat (thanks especially for doing Pawnbroker's Stepdaughter and Bioluminescence...I was hoping to see those!), Prayformojo with the mojo in abundance on "Husky Youth", JB's "All We Need More Of Is Science", Charcoal's "Goodbye Monster", all of the Erin, Sam, and Ken band permutations along with High Density (loved the keyboard playing), Blue's drumming, Spud's enthusiasm on lead vocals, Ken Flagg's amazing songs and vocals, Brody's "Pickles and Ice Cream", stueym and his dreams of being All Tan, the after party, and last but not least getting the chance to once again perform with my sister (and that extra 4.135 times more popularity certainly didn't hurt).

I'm hooked now and my sister and I are looking forward to the next event!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Ok - I'm back and reasonably concious again.

Basically, I concur with all previous thank-you's above, and give them all a hearty "and so say all of us" - thanks to all that made it a great weekend.

Quick special mention to Jack, for everything. And thanks to my airport shuttles, JB and the Miller family, and to my band (King Arthur, Rabid, Albatross, Ken and Dre) - thanks for having a greater knowledge of my songs than I did!

A word I guess to any other international fighters who may consider making the trek in future - I would thoroughly recommend it. If you ever have the opportunity to get across for a SFLive - take it, it's worth it. It's just like hanging around with a big group of old friends who you haven't actually met yet.

And besides, the USA doesn't seem to be such a bad place once you get there, and some of the people even appear to be reasonably civillised :wink: . General rules I have learned for dining in the USA are: fish taco=good, chilli burger=bad, "jack cheese" is a type of food and not a sexually transmitted disease, and do not try to discuss cricket with the waiters in Indian restraurants - they just look at you funny.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

...and in an interesting side note - I shared my plane home with legendary Aussie rockabilly/punksters - The Living End.

The boys were sitting at the table next to me in the Qantas Club at LAX - probably highly impressed by my 'Songfight' T-shirt. Luckily, they gave me my space and didn't approach me for autographs or anything like that. I just gave them a slight nod, to acknowledge each other as members of the Brotherhood of Aus Rock - heading home again after playing a few gigs Stateside.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Good lord, I don't know where to begin (and after 12 hours of driving, I'm not sure I can be all that coherent right now)...

So, this will be more continued later, after a brief shout out to stueym's foot. Man, I was really relieved when it started tapping during one of my bouts of screaming.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Lindsay of the BeWells
A New Player

Post by Lindsay of the BeWells »

I totally second everything my brother just said!

After being extremely hyper from being cabin-fevered in my car all day from the drive home, and amazingly somehow still awake, nonetheless,

Some of my favourite moments among many include:
Getting the chance to visit/ and perform with my awesome and amazingly talented brother, King Arthur and Bjam's "so long atticus", BJ's "All we need more of is science", totally concert-wothy in itself! Spud and Marcus Kellis's Duet! Puce and Plat's "Bioluminescence"..oh! and that bagel peice.. nice..., Ken Flagg and his Amazingness!, especially his first song... wow, i almost cried... Glenn & Rachel's "need stilltz", SO stuck in my head, "C is for Cholesterol", now that's just brilliant, um... whiskey. ...Oh yah! Bjam's attmitance to her all too charming accent, Stueym's ramblings... :) and secret longings to be all tan (it's gonna be ok, embrace the whiteness.. haha, i have no other choice!), Caravan Ray and all 'is oi, oi oi's!, Jeff's saying Andre was her at midnight at seven, and Freakin' me out by knowing our last name! :) haha... Spud fixing the crooked piece of art on the wall and sayin' "too much rock.", glenn case rockin' out on stage pretty much the Whole entire 2 evenings, geez louize!

ok, i think I've said enough, although i could go on... What an incredible group of people and an amazing musical experience! I feel very fortunate and grateful. Thanks to all who made it happen, and to all who came and participated. I really hope to get the chance to come again and see y'all again next year!
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:So, this will be more continued later, after a brief shout out to stueym's foot. Man, I was really relieved when it started tapping during one of my bouts of screaming.
Ah, I enjoyed lots of the band performances way more than you might imagine. Despite my personal performance CHOICE, I am steeped deep in all manner of the Rawk.

I just wish my voice was better suited to joining in rather than being the melodious accoustic folky sound it is. More specific comments to come in coming days....
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Jefff »

So the neck beard and the neck tattoo are gone, and I'm getting ready for a late start at work, but in addition to all of the above: High Density were great and I want them to play at my wedding (don't worry - no immediate plans).
heidi
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by heidi »

i had a really great time. all of the bands were awesome! i also totally want to live in santa cruz now.

i took some pretty good pictures of everyone and i'm pretty excited to share them, but i'm a bonehead and forgot the CDs that they were saved to at home when i meant to bring them to work with me to upload. :( tomorrow, i promise!

team seahorse!
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Jefff »

Heidi's photos are great.
heidi
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by heidi »

Jefff wrote:Heidi's photos are great.
thanks, jeff. i am totally kicking myself right now because it is SO SLOW here at work and i have nothing to do and just want to look through and upload those damn photos. grrr.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by prayformojo »

Jefff wrote:Heidi's photos are great.
Seriously. Like promotional quality great. My girlfriend is awesome!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I'm home and I hate it. :(
I miss everybody already.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I wish we could do Song Fight Live all the time! And didn't have, like, bills to pay and shit. We could do a musical commune or something! A bunch of talented people living off the grid and putting out albums to pay for the meager needs such as webhosting and heroin.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Wow, what a great week. First and foremost Yays go out to Plat, Glenn and Blue for being unsurpassedly nice and incredibly talented.

Next on the list are Jack and Booty and Blue for providing such great practice spaces. Then Jack again and the staff of The Vault, for the fantastic venue. Then Spud for being the perfect ringmaster, with his christams-themed blinkers and everything. Then Tawny 100 times over, for keeping us from being totally lost. Then Blue and Amber for helping fill me with tastey foods. Another round of thanks to Plat, Amber, Blue, Spud and Bjam for hilarious conversation. And of course Rabid, for the tambourine-ing that I was almost entirely un-aware of. And thanks to the swooningly-attractive and quick-witted singer who kept me company when I was stranded at the Vancouver Airport. And last, thanks to Marcus Kellis, who mostly refrained from molesting me, and who sure knows his Futurama trivia.

It was great meeting all of you, especially Mojo, Jeff, Sam and Erin, Hoblit, Gene Wilder, the adorable BeWells, the various Millers, JB (who is All Man), Caravan Ray (sorry I couldn't meet you guys for lunch; I was busy missing trains at the time), both halves of High Density, The Screwhead Collective and their guitar tuner, Phunt and Friend (who were hilarious folks, and they played a damned good All Tan, too), everyone I mentioned in the preceding paragraph, everyone I had already met at Octothorpe & Friends, and everyone I forgot to mention.