DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD: Ashcroft resigns

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
mkilly
Grok
Instruments: guitar

DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD: Ashcroft resigns

Post by mkilly »

"Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans have resigned, the White House said. Details soon." --cnn.com
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Sober
Grok
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

LET THE EAAAAAGGGLEEE SOAAAAARRRRR

omg: Aschroft coverfight.

God. Who's gonna replace him? "Attorney General Lucifer"
🤠
JonPorobil
Gemini
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/ ... index.html

Hallefuckinglujah!

Man, and I thought I was going to break this one here. Mkilly, I tip my hat to you.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

In other news: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/ ... index.html

Yasser Arafat is as good as dead now, as well.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

as the actual resigning is news... this was very well already a given. However, with that said... go out and get yourself a lapdance...that would be the best way to celebrate THIS news.
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

In much the same way many eighteen-year-olds will celebrate their birthdays by going out and buying a pack of cigarettes, even if they don't smoke... Just because they can. :D

(Yeah, I didn't do this. I was broke. But a friend of mine who also doesn't smoke did. Only, he was broke too so we laughed at him.) 8)

mkilly
Grok

Post by mkilly »

Generic wrote:In much the same way many eighteen-year-olds will celebrate their birthdays by going out and buying a pack of cigarettes, even if they don't smoke... Just because they can. :D

(Yeah, I didn't do this. I was broke. But a friend of mine who also doesn't smoke did. Only, he was broke too so we laughed at him.) 8)
I was gonna, but, yeah, broke. Also I'm not enchanted by smoking at all. It makes my throat burn and makes me cough and I feel terrible and I don't like smoking. I did buy a scratch ticket though. I lost. I was gonna buy a Powerball one but somebody'd won recently so I didn't think it was worth it to bother.

Anyway, I mirrored the Ashcroft song "Let the Eagle Soar" at http://www.glitterandtwang.org/songfight/
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Eric Y.
Grok

Post by Eric Y. »

mkilly wrote:I was gonna buy a Powerball one but somebody'd won recently so I didn't think it was worth it to bother.
heh, yeah... you sound just like the customers at the store where i used to work. they'd be all like, "how much is the powerball this week?" and i'd look and be like "sixty million" or whatever. and they'd be all like, "eh, nevermind." and i'd be all wondering, what the hell can you do with a hundred mil or two, that you can't do with sixty?
mkilly
Grok

Post by mkilly »

tviyh wrote:heh, yeah... you sound just like the customers at the store where i used to work. they'd be all like, "how much is the powerball this week?" and i'd look and be like "sixty million" or whatever. and they'd be all like, "eh, nevermind." and i'd be all wondering, what the hell can you do with a hundred mil or two, that you can't do with sixty?
that's not the issue. the chances of winning powerball are so low as to be insignificant; if you buy a powerball ticket you're throwing your money in the garbage. so if you're going to throw your money in the garbage, on something with a statistically insignificant chance to win, you may as well wait until it's worth something significant (200 mil, 180 mil) compared to something comparitively slight (10 mil, 60 mil). especially considering 60 mil = 11 mil when taxes and fees for a lump sum are taken into account.

that's why i didn't bother, anyway, on my 18th birthday. i said to myself in august or september, "if nobody's won it by my birthday, i'll buy a ticket," since it was at like 160-200 mil, that area, then. but i guess somebody did, because it was around 10 mil on my birthday.
the Jazz
DeepMind

Post by the Jazz »

Except if people wait until it's a big jackpot, you have worse chances of actually winning the big one because more people are buying tickets. So I think it evens out that either way buying lotto tickets is a really bad idea.
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Grok

Post by Eric Y. »

you have exactly the same odds of winning regardless of how many tickets are sold. because it's not guaranteed that somebody is going to win. if somebody matches all of the numbers, THEN they win, but this is just as likely to happen if one person or one million people buy a ticket.

i suppose you could argue that with the increased number of tickets sold as the jackpot increases, there is a bigger chance of you having to split the jackpot if you win it -- that is, your chances of winning are the same, but the chances of somebody else winning is greater when more people are playing. but really, the actual chance of anybody winning is so slight, that i don't think the increase in likelihood of multiple wins is really statistically significant.
Jim of Seattle
Grok
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Don't get too excited about Ashcroft leaving. On one hand, his true legacy, the Patriot Act, isn't resigning, and secondly, he has stated he won't resign until he has personally approved his successor.

"Let the Eagle Soar" reviews

Listed alphabetically within each category

<font color = green>LESS THAN PRETTY GOOD</font>

John Ashcroft
I gotta wonder what those musicians in the band were thinking as you warbled your way through this trash. Being artistic types, there's every likelihood they didn't agree with your politics, and even greater likelihood they saw this song for the garbage it is. I felt sorry for them. You could almost hear their eyes rolling out of their heads as they plodded along with your embarrassing performance. Both lyrically and musically it's simply a charm bracelet of cliches strung together. Not only that, but the cliches actually contradict each other. If you're going to use them, at least get them straight. So the mighty eagle is soaring, but wait, you said it hadn't yet begun to fly, so, is it soaring, or what? And the whole image of it waiting by the raised lamp outside freedom's door.... huh? Unlistenable.
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Perhaps, Richard Ashcroft, super-ugly yet strangely cool drug-addled lead singer of the Verve, would make an ideal successor?

Anyone who says i look like him is on my shit-list :)

J$
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Well, there will be a number of new faces and I suspect each will be further "right" than the last. Take the appointment to the FDA's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee:

The FDA's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee makes crucial decisions on matters relating to drugs used in the practice of obstetrics, gynecology and related specialties, including hormone therapy, contraception, treatment for infertility, and medical alternatives to surgical procedures for sterilization and pregnancy termination.

Dr. Hager is the author of "As Jesus Cared for Women: Restoring Women Then and Now." The book blends biblical accounts of Christ healing women with case studies from Hager's practice. His views of reproductive health care are far outside the mainstream for reproductive technology. Dr. Hager is a practicing OB/GYN who describes himself as "pro-life" and refuses to prescribe contraceptives to unmarried women. In the book Dr. Hager wrote with his wife, entitled "Stress and the Woman's Body," he suggests that women who suffer from premenstrual syndrome should seek help from reading the bible and praying.

Time Mag:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 21,00.html

Further reading from the Union of Concerned Scientists:
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environmen ... ageID=1360
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

NEWS ALERT | 3:43 PM ET
Bush Picks Alberto Gonzales to Replace John Ashcroft
Alberto Gonzales, the White House counsel and one of President Bush's closest advisers, now faces Senate confirmation.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Leaf
DALL-E
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

the Jazz wrote:Except if people wait until it's a big jackpot, you have worse chances of actually winning the big one because more people are buying tickets. So I think it evens out that either way buying lotto tickets is a really bad idea.
...unless you're the winner.
Jim of Seattle
Grok
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

roymond wrote:Scary Dr. Hager horror
*fingers in ears, closes eyes* LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
mkilly
Grok

Post by mkilly »

the Jazz wrote:Except if people wait until it's a big jackpot, you have worse chances of actually winning the big one because more people are buying tickets. So I think it evens out that either way buying lotto tickets is a really bad idea.
yeah, like tviyh said, your chances of winning don't change with how many tickets are sold. I'm just sayin', if you're going to throw your money away, you may as well wait until it's comparatively worthwhile to do so. Also: slot machines are stupid. Why do people pour money into slot machines.
mkilly
Grok

Post by mkilly »

roymond wrote:hager hager hager
not quite

he was appointed in 2003 and renewed in 2004. it's a done deal.
c hack
Claude

Post by c hack »

Well, I can't seem to find any evidence of how he (Gonzales) feels about copyright/DMCA issues, but I'm sure he'll bend over and present his cheeks to Disney like those before him.

And it looks like he's not interested in changing abortion laws, so it looks like just what W said: more of the same.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

c hack wrote:Well, I can't seem to find any evidence of how he (Gonzales) feels about copyright/DMCA issues, but I'm sure he'll bend over and present his cheeks to Disney like those before him.

And it looks like he's not interested in changing abortion laws, so it looks like just what W said: more of the same.
Maybe I'm blinded by optimism because of the joy caused by Ashcroft leaving... but I have the feeling his replacement isnt' going to be nearly as agressive. More of the same...but not MORE.

*Hoblit crosses fingers
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

mkilly wrote:
roymond wrote:hager hager hager
not quite

he was appointed in 2003 and renewed in 2004. it's a done deal.
Yes. I was using it as an example of who this President aims to fills all available slots with. And he's not chairman, I'd like to think, because of the outcry in 2003.

Think about it...we have a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court about to breath his last breath...It's not going to be easy. And the administration will accuse the Senate dems of obstructing the process, even though the Senate republicans blocked FAR MORE judicial nominees of Clinton's.

Now, Alberto Gonzales is a whole nother issue.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face