Downtime, with music. (Convalescence reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
blue
Grok

Downtime, with music. (Convalescence reviews)

Post by blue »

yay songfights.
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

stop reading this thread and go review pink ribbons.
ephedream
Llama

Post by ephedream »

been wy too long since I did ths.... but I otta tell ya that ephedream's tuen is NOT FER KIDS. No swearin' er nothin but its kind of grown up and twisted..(was farily loaddified when we hit rekord).

just in case ya'll got kids.

Bring The Fight!
pump it up!
WesDavis
DeepMind

Post by WesDavis »

Yo, where the songs is at?
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
Spud
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Spud »

Yo, Wes, whaddya think this is, real time or something? It takes you a week to make 'em... give us a day or two to post 'em, dude.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Meatwad
Alpaca

Post by Meatwad »

Spud wrote:Yo, Wes, whaddya think this is, real time or something? It takes you a week to make 'em... give us a day or two to post 'em, dude.
Dude. Takes us 2 hours, tops. If it takes you a week, you aren't doing it right.
Reist
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Spud wrote:give us a day or two
By day, I'm assuming you mean week?
Spud
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I will wait a week just to be ornery. There. See you next week.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Meatwad
Alpaca

Post by Meatwad »

Spud wrote:I will wait a week just to be ornery. There. See you next week.
That's the spirit! I like your spunk. Wait....
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

jolly roger wrote:
Then spud wrote
I will wait a week just to be ornery...
Thanks for nothin', Roger.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
WesDavis
DeepMind

Post by WesDavis »

I will donate ten dollars to the site if you wait a month to upload.

Oh that's not true. I'm broke.
spinlock
Alpaca

Post by spinlock »

Schucks. :( First fight and it's delayed.
Is it anything we can help with? I'm new here, but it seems that there's enough geeks around to build some sort of queue and auto-publish thing which could cut down on the hassle of doing things manually. I'm not a brilliant php coder, but I could have a go.
----
Chris (spinlock)
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

spinlock wrote:
Schucks. :( First fight and it's delayed.
Is it anything we can help with? I'm new here, but it seems that there's enough geeks around to build some sort of queue and auto-publish thing which could cut down on the hassle of doing things manually. I'm not a brilliant php coder, but I could have a go.
----
Chris (spinlock)
spud didn't say there was a problem. what does "ornery" look like in php?
adrift in a draft
Llama

Post by adrift in a draft »

who owns meanwhile.com ? Is it spud? conflict of interest!
The good lord invented beer to keep me from taking over the world. -me
spinlock
Alpaca

Post by spinlock »

blue wrote: spud didn't say there was a problem. what does "ornery" look like in php?
I don't even know what it looks like in British. :roll: Perhaps "mardy"?
I guess I should nose out of this one. Sorry for any offense.
WesDavis
DeepMind

Post by WesDavis »

I don't think you offended too much.
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Maybe that question should be a FAQ with the number of times people offer. Yeah, there are a lot of computer geeks around here, and they're friendly helpful types! :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
WesDavis
DeepMind

Post by WesDavis »

Reviews!

I don't know if I'll get them all right now, but I'll get the rest later whenever I have time.

The Disciples of Beer

For some reason this keeps reminding me of the Dick in a Box song from SNL. I think it's because I just listened to that, though. I can't say that I really like this. Hey, look at that, handclaps. I tried to put some of those in my song, but I couldn't get them to not sound out of place. But yeah, unfortunately this isn't all that interesting to me.

MCEricB

Rap is always an admirable effort on here. And the fact that you're so far able to stay in time while you do it is fairly impressive. It makes me think of Blazin Hazen. Okay the chorus is kinda irritating. A rap like this isn't entertaining really unless there's something funny in it, and since there isn't really, I don't really like this or hate it.

Booty Chesterfield Trio

This would be made great by a Les Claypool bass solo. But otherwise, it ain't bad. Has kinid of a Primus/Butthole Surfers sound(if that makes any sense). I'm glad you put "cut of the jib" in the lyrics! This is odd and interesting. I might keep this one. It might be a little too repetitive.

Those Meddling Kids

I rather like this. The vocals could be a little better, but I don't know exactly what would do that. I think it's just because you're sometimes slightly off the notes, but it's not so bad that it ruins the song. I'm a little indifferent, but it's not bad.

And now I have to stop listening because I think other people are streaming it and it's slow as hell. I'll get the rest tonight, though! Now I must drive myself back home for 3 hours. Hooray!
WesDavis
DeepMind

Post by WesDavis »

Actually I'm going to do one more because this song started playing before I got off the computer, and I like it.

Melvin

So this is very Weezer in a way that I like. It actually reminds me a lot of the Weezer tribute song that Sugar Ray did a few years ago. I think that song is called "I Dig a Hole" or something. Good job! I may vote for this.

Tell you what, I'm going to download these and burn them so I can listen to them on my roat trip home.
Zoosneakers
A New Player

Post by Zoosneakers »

Atonal Coil Bros. - I like the bass line, good dreary mood to the song, the guitar sound distorts too much in spots, needs better ending.

Billy's Little Trip - I like the funky guitar intro, vocal delivery is cool but a little muted, backing vox rocks, guitar solo is effective. Good song.

Booty Chesterfield Trio - Dig it. Weird yet tuneful, the recording is a little noisy maybe? I kind of lost interest after the first two minutes. And yet... Good song.

Caravan Ray - Quirky, less filling, not my bag, but nice recording, I like the lalas.

Cranial Biffida - I like the war sounds, spooky, arty, ambient I guess. Can't get behind this. Far too long.

Damien Verrett - Nutty, annoying, yet I like it. Interesting mix. Great range of instruments and styles. But it seems a little like musical masturbation.

The Disciples of Beer - Disconcerting and loungy at the same time. Didn't take me anywhere, but at least I heard "convalenscence" once in a while. The foghorn sound is cool.

Eidolon - Interesting, I like the background distorted guitar mixed low with the acoustic. Not bad at all. Vocals are nice.

ephedream - Needs more bass. Like the drums. Not bad, but I predict this will not be a SF favorite.

Flvxxvm Florvm - Yes! Loved your tune last fight too. Something sonically very different. Guitar solo is distressing but gets it done. Too long, but that's OK. Good song.

Jim Tyrrell - Beautiful recording. I hate the song, but it's beautifully done.

Jolly Roger - Lofi, but super catchy. Dig it. I'd see you guys live. Then I heard that break and thought again..but still... Good song.

Klownhole - Wow, go for it. I'm not sure what "it" is, but... Plenty of attitude, well-recorded, but I think it needs a little more musical content. I like it better around the solo when the drums are really kickin'. I wish the singer would shut up occasionally...I'd kick him in the nuts if I could. Too long for me. :-)

Masterhyde - Nice recording, good song, a little dull to me but has a nice laid-back hiphop feel to it.

MC Eric B - Nerdcore is wearing on me. Mostly because of songs like this. I'm sure fans will dig it.

Melvin - Slow down, M...don't go so fast. Just kidding, it's OK. I have seen roadkill move faster than this song but still...I like. The harmonies rock. Good song.

Paco Del Stinko - Pearl Jammy beginning, I start to like it once the drums kick in. Some nice guitar parts. Cool overall. Good song.

Ross Durand - Good stuff, some very creative parts. Organ is a nice touch. A little long, but... Good song.

Spinlock - Nice song, kind of Robyn Hitchcok style. A little poppy, the chorus wears on me a little. Interesting piano sound. The trumpet didn't do much for me.

Steve Durand - God, SF will eat this up. Love the horns. Not my bag, but good.

Steve Hand Puppet and His Poorly Considered Solo Effort - This didn't do it for me. A little one-dimensional. I'd pump the vocal track.

Swilington - Nifty little tune. Nice rich recording. Lacking something...oh yeah, lyrics. Nah, that's cool.

Those Meddling Kids - Overall a pretty cool indie sound, I lost interest after a while. But I like the ending a lot with the addition vox.

Wes Davis - Nice singing, catchy little guitar part. The harmony is very nice. A little light, but... Good song.

wormsweater - Superb. Really great. My fav. The recording is a little odd. Good song.

Zoosneakers - My song. A little depressing, but it's just what is on my mind. This war thing wears me down. I think the idea is that the guy on the ground is asking for convalescence from the damage of war, while the military is using "convalescence" as a code word for various forms of whoopass. Some sort of juxtaposition thing...I just kind of threw it together but it came out OK. Thanks for reviews.

The winner in a landslide is wormsweater in my book.
Last edited by Zoosneakers on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reist
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

rdurand wrote:
jolly roger wrote:
Then spud wrote
I will wait a week just to be ornery...
Thanks for nothin', Roger.
I shamed him into it! - it was updated in a few days! You should be thanking me! 8)

ps. thanks for posting the fixed version of my song. You guys rock.
MC Eric B
DeepMind

re: nerdcore

Post by MC Eric B »

Just to clarify things regarding nerdcore music, my Convalescence and Pink Ribbon songs are not nerdcore. The lyrics are serious and the topic of the lyrics is not about anything in the least bit nerdy. They are just typical amateur rap/hip-hop type songs. The fact that some people say my vocals sound nerdy just means the songs are "nerdy sounding", but not "nerdcore".

On the other hand, my songs for It Belongs To Me and Woman On Paper could be considered nerdcore. The lyrics were funny and outrageous, they were set to hip-hop beats, and I sounded nerdy (not on purpose, that's just how I sound).

- Eric