It's a Shakedown!(Sugar Shaker Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
MC Eric B
DeepMind

Sugar Shaker Reviews

Post by MC Eric B »

My Reviews:

Adam Adamant: Reminds me a little of Firestarter by Prodigy. The intro was way too long (almost 2 1/2 minutes). The beat was kind of disjointed, so I am not sure how somebody could dance to it. You keep repeating the same thing over and over again for the whole song. To experimental for me.

bigdumbjerks: Primal yet catchy. Reminds me of King Kong and Survivor. I can picture a group of people dancing to this.

bondicigar: I like it. Catchy and very dance sounding.

calc0s: Sounds like something I would hear at a dance club, which is good. Not something I will remember later though.

caravanray: I like it a lot. It has a lot going on to keep it interesting.

Cynthia Size: The dance music goes very well with the computer voice. I can picture people dancing to this in a club.

diamondgeezer: Really really great song. Very professional sounding production. This should be on a real CD sold in stores. Made me forget it does not seem to have anything to do with a sugar shaker.

eddielance:
Catchy, but that's because much if it is sampled from Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer from Beverly Hills Cop. Overall good though.

electromartyr: Great dance beat. I wish it had vocals. Nothing about a sugar shaker.

flvxxvmflorvm: I like it.

giantsnail: Great song. The vocals remind me a little of popular song, but I can't remember the name.

hamnoburger: Great dance beat and good job on the vocals. The chorus is very different than the verses which is good. Catchy song. Sounds like something I would hear on a real CD.

hostessmostess: Funky. good.

ip: I like it. I am not sure the chorus lives up to the rest of the song though. But, overall it is great!

kabuto: Beat is great. Lot of stuff to keep it interesting.

king arthur: Great song. I like the lyrics and vocals, and the music is very catchy and well done. I am not a big classic rock fan, so I can't think of a very good comparison, but reminds me a little of if Eric Clapton did a funky song.

Level Nivelo: Not a bad melody, so I wish you had put it to real music.

mcpauldenyer: I can't hear the vocals very well on the verses. The video game type noise is kind of annoying after a while, maybe because it is too loud in the mix. The chorus is good though.

melvin: Sounds like a cool band doing a dance song, which is hard to pull off, but you do it. Very very good. If you had a CD, this should be on it.

Micky Finn - I like the intro, it makes it sound like a fun uplifting dance song. Once the vocals start it starts to lose me though. Maybe because the vocals seem faint, until you get to the chorus where you voice becomes much clearer and louder, and that part is much catchier also. I wish the whole song was more like the chorus vocally.

paulrey: Kind of an odd song. Too much instrumental, not enough vocals. Kind of seems like something you threw together fast without a lot of though, but then again sometimes great pieces of art are like that.

projectd: I like it.

satintails: Yes, like somebody said, sounds like the comical music in the background for Oceans11/12/13, and it is very professional sounding. But, without any vocals, I don't feel this meets the requirements of this week's songfight. At least it has a "shaker" type sound to it though.

seamuscollective: I like a lot. Very well done. Catchy, professional sounding, with lyrics I could clearly hear.

sheail: Good song. Well done.

statesidmenace: I like it a lot. The singer is really good, and the band rocks.

stevedurand: Great song. the lyrics go well with the music. Makes me feel like I am in Mexico.

weakestsuit: I like the overall sound of the song and the vocals are good.

Wes Davis Feat. Git McSloppyfingers - I like it. Vocals are good. Ending is nice.

The White Hat: Good guitar work and good lyrics/rhymes. Great song.

Zipline: Not bad, but it got boring for me after around the 1st minute though. The vocals are creative sounding.
glennny
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

MC Eric B- It's danceble. Lyrics are about as awful as possible cliche and obvious. Beats and pads are old and tedious as well.The muppet vocals make this comedy and listenable. I laugh at this, but I can't listen to this much.

Wes Davis etc- This is not a dance song. I think you're over singing for the music. You've got a great voice, love to hear it in more of a sassy London Suede like song, or a suave rock new romantic 80's in love with yourself ballad. Not bad over all, mostly just impressed by your vocal chops.

Bondi Cigar- This is very dance! the stereo effect is tough on headphones. I'm loving this so far. This starts off excellent, drags a bit, yeah doesn't serve the intro. It ends up just OK.

Paul Rey- Out of tune. poor recording.Unfinished.

Calc0s- I'm bored way too soon. and throughout.

King Arthur- Pretty cool song, not very dancy to me. I don't like the keys at all. The guitar tone is pretty thin too. Vocals are great per usual, the big reverb is a little much for my tastes. Bassline is groovy! Not bad.

The White Hat- Not Dance. Nice acoustic playing!!!! Wow, I love this. Lyrics are junk, but it doesn't matter the acoustic is so fantastic it just might get my vote. Vocals are good btw. I want to add your guitarist to my best guitarists of songfight list.

Micky Finn- Nice! Very dancy and beautiful sounding. Yeah this is very good. Wonderful vocals! I actually think the guitar is a bit loud in the mix and the bass is too low in the mix. Those are nit picks. This sounds like the one to beat. I'm keeping it. Great job!

Eddie Lance- This sucks. Axl F? a protest entry? boooooooo

Sheail- Wow excellent 1st 3 seconds! Lots of good sounds, The right hand of the guitarists drag a bit, it jars me from dancing. This is way too sloppy playing wise, but there's some very good production going on. Actually the written song is pretty cool, just not performed that well. Nice guitar breakdown! Overall it's OK.

Project D- Right hand mr guitarist, really needs to be tight not to ruin a decent song. I like the way too loud solo. The whole song is ho-hum.

Zipline- Yeah it's a mess. Maybe I should've just taken a 3 minute snip, instead of cutting together a few pieces. The seams are glaring on this one. We were not so inspired lyrically during the recording, so I actually over dubbed the Octave pedal vox. they're still crap. Bella D's Melodies is my favorite part, also over dubbed. Actually once we tighten up this song this will do very well live, we're all fond of the riffs. We debated whether or not to submit, but we thought we should share some of our cheeky riffs, take the criticism and whatnot. It'll be groovy on the next West coast tour!

The Giant Snail- I'm taken. Wonderful keyboards! Pitch shifty vocals work in this genre. This is rather pleasing. Sounds like a slice of a jam. Not much of a song, but very pleasing bits!

Cynthia Size and Eclectic Sp00ns- I'm a fan! This is pretty great. This challenge was made for you. This is indeed a dance song. Great production, nice gentle introduction of new gentle melodies throughout whilst keeping four on the floor. Well done!

MC Paul Denyer-Cool noise, dumb rap, weird production. get's old quick.

Ham No Burger- I'm in an 80's teenage horny flick. This is very cringey. Maybe it's well done for the genre, but this would be uncool in it's hey day. This is sooooooooooo cheesy. However, if you play up the 80's ness of this , I see this as having the most potential for the video challenge.

The Big Dumb Jerks- I like it! Nice drumming! This is one of my favorites.

I.P.- Intro is lame, rap doesn't flow. The sax one note is the best part. Nice slutty guitar tone and drawn out notes. Basically I don't like this much at all, then I love the guitar tone and solo. Thanks for bringing it back! Shut up and play your guitar!

Adam Adamant- not very dancy. Nice accent, crap song.

Flvxxvm Florvm- There's something appealing about this, and then ah yes! Great guitar solo! More guitar solos!!! Fun.

Steve Durand- We really need to hook you up with The Prisoner (Zipline Drummer), he's a very good rock drummer, but his element is really jazz drumming. Drums are not up to par with the rest of this song. horns are great! Good song!

Electro Martyr- Let me quote your wife "This is the worst dance song ever". Dude you like everything too much. At least this is four on the floor. There's no real ending. This sounds like Monte Carlo gone electronic. By that i mean it's crap, but better than half of the songs in this fight. Nice noises by the way! Now write a song!

Melvin- YES! It's all about that chorus! Dude, you're sooooooo good! Flawless. Great tones and production, wonderful playing and singing. Takes over as my vote contender. The drums mocking the chorus rhythm is the hook that put it over the top for me. This stands up as one of your better tracks too, and really your toughest competition is yourself.

KABUTO - I hate nerdcore. This is pretty good for a genre I hate. I love the falsetto Bahp bah bahs, but as soon as it starts rapping I'm bored and want it to get to the next "chorus". Good production. Not bad.

Hostess Mostess- OK boys and girls this is how to play that style of rhythm guitar that many seemed to fail at in this fight. This song is nice and tight. Great playing! I love the little girl vocals! This reminds me of Don Henley "all she wants to do is dance", there's something KFOG adult contemporary quality rock about this. Great production. Good job!

Diamond Geezer- Ignored the dance challenge. This is a pretty good song though. This would be a contender for me, if I thought it was dancy. I'm keeping this. I'm really enjoying this. Great singing and playing! tasty solo! Very cool!

Caravan Ray- Plagirist! I'm offended that you would rip off a fellow Nur Einer! The Tex Beaumont song was fantastic! I reviewed this once, as an update I'm still loving this song on my iPod, and although bummed I didn't make the cut, feel good to lose to excellent songs like this one.

The Stateside Menace- Not bad. The song is obviously, the guitar hook after the chorus is especially tasty! Pretty cool!

Satin Tails- YES! This is great. I thought Melvin had a slam dunk, now I have to think about my vote. I love it, keeping it etc. Very very very very good! I think instrumentals are severely under-represented, on songfight. I might have to vote for this for political reasons, but it stands up out right as well!

The Seamus Collective- Who's singing? This is great! I have the highest of expectations for you guys.This song makes me dance. Great everything guys!

The Weakest Suit- It's OK, nothing special however.

Level Nivelo- Cute, sounds like 10,000 other songs. Especially "I Want Candy", on purpose?

OK- So my favorites are Melvin, Satin Tails, The Seamus Collective, Diamond Geezer, Cynthia Size and Eclectic Sp00ns, The White Hat and Micky Finn.

I keep re -listening to my favorites, I'm torn between Satin Tails and Melvin.

OK after 5 listens each I will vote for Melvin! (shocking)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
DELETED

diamond

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
i.p.
Llama

Post by i.p. »

glennny wrote:
I.P.- Intro is lame, rap doesn't flow. The sax one note is the best part. Nice slutty guitar tone and drawn out notes. Basically I don't like this much at all, then I love the guitar tone and solo. Thanks for bringing it back! Shut up and play your guitar!
Thanks for the review, honestly.
But, in response:
No!
jeff robertson
Claude
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

mickyfinn wrote: flvxxvmflorvm:
I'm afraid to even ask what your saying in your lyrics.
Although you probably don't want to know, they've have been in the lyrics archive all along.
i.p.
Llama

Post by i.p. »

i.p. wrote:
glennny wrote:
Thanks for the review, honestly.
But, in response:
No!
and just to clarify, that was a "no, we won't shut up!" not a "no, screw you!"
If you don't like this week's entry, keep listening because our songs are bound to be vastly different from week to week. Different topics + different musician availability + ADD = WHO KNOWS!
Seriously though, to acknowledge your review more. I don't think of it as "rap," per se, but it is... and yes, I think the flow could be better (this is the lyricist speaking). The sax is great! I love the touch it adds, but maybe you were being sarcastic... The guitar is great, our guitarist is one of my musical idols. The solo is very "slutty," but so is the whole idea of the song.

Constructive criticism is great! This is our/my first entry, but already, I <3 SongFight!
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mixtral
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Reviews Part: One.

adamadamant - i like the way this is put together, but takes quite a while to get going, and sounds a touch empty, sounds absolutely nothing like the streets, though somebody did mention the prodigy, which i can well hear, kinda in a loungecore way, vocals are not in any shape annoying to me.
Danceability Factor: 6.8
Song Factor: 6.3

bigdumbjerks - nice tribal feel, could do with being a bit... bigger! (fuller sound!) good idea but would work better if a something else came in around the 1:00 mark.
Danceability Factor: 6.9
Song Factor: 6.2

thebondigigar - perfect clubland intro, goes a little soup dragons(ish) but the overall shamen/beloved feel is very well done.
Danceability Factor: 8.2
Song Factor: 5.9

calcos - good bass intro, (would sound nice if doubled up with a distant fuzz bass on the second passing), very good beat to this.
SOng Factor: 6.1

caravanray - where the fuck d'you get the time?? excellent vocal intonation very beloved (the sun rising), really good track considering your doing the whole nur ein thing also!
Danceability Factor: 7.9
Song Factor: 8.0

cynthiasizeandthe@eclecticspoons - could this be cynthia's swan song??
(samples are taken from 'Army of Darkness')
Song Factor: 6.5

diamondgeezer - really nice track, the handclaps are great, your voice is wonderful as always, this has something that makes it reminiscent even as it's playing for the first time.
Danceability Factor: 6.6
Song Factor: 8.2

eddielance - panned too far right (or my headphones are fucked on your track only?), good dance tune but very thin! needs to have a more dynamic feel to bring everything out that's going on in the distance.
Interesting ending!?!
Song Factor: 5.0

electromartyr - heavy trancey feel, well danceable rythym, nice shamanesque feel (post gorbachev).
Danceability Factor: 8.4
Song Factor: 6.2

flvxxvmflorvm - sounds like an indie rock version of a dance track, and i like that approach, the demonic vocals are pretty enticing too.
Danceability Factor: 6.3

giantsnail - this has the whole big fish little fish cardboardbox thing going on, nice work apart from the noodly synth, which a touch too much, good work, sounds very european.
Danceability Factor: 8.4

hamnoburger - that chorus is so familiar, but that makes no diference to what is essentially quite a decent dance/indie number.
Song Factor: 6.4
glennny
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I.P. wrote:
If you don't like this week's entry, keep listening because our songs are bound to be vastly different from week to week. Different topics + different musician availability + ADD = WHO KNOWS!
Seriously though, to acknowledge your review more. I don't think of it as "rap," per se, but it is... and yes, I think the flow could be better (this is the lyricist speaking). The sax is great! I love the touch it adds, but maybe you were being sarcastic... The guitar is great, our guitarist is one of my musical idols. The solo is very "slutty," but so is the whole idea of the song.

Constructive criticism is great! This is our/my first entry, but already, I <3 SongFight!
I got what you meant, no worries, but it's fine if you tell me to screw off too. "Shut Up and Play your guitar" is a Zappa reference, if you're not familiar, something Frank heard and responded to with a triple album of awesome instrumentals. Your guitar was great.
Remember it's all just my humble opinion, it's not personal, I was serious about the sax. I think you'll score a lot of points using sax around here, I just don't hear it much at all in submissions. There was some good aspects to your entry, I look forward to future entries from you. Besides it was far better than any Monte Carlo entry.

Also if you want to feel better just go back and read some Older Brothers or Zipline reviews. We're arguably the worst singers on Song Fight.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
thegiantsnail
A New Player

Post by thegiantsnail »

Reviews...

Electro Martyr- Like NIN+Joy Electric. Dancy, in a way that makes you want to put something in your mouth that glows. Maybe a little much in places, I liked the breakdown at the end. Vocals could use the most work of any of it- a tighter melody and performance both. 7.2

Steve Durand- Dancy in a way that makes me want a margarita. Splendid horns. You sound kind of out of place singing about salsa. Very well produced piece of music. Great arrangement, feels very whole. You couldn't add anything more to it. 8.0

Hostess Mostess- I'm a sucker for the kid's voice. Pop dancy. Great confluence of elements. I think the pianist needs ritalin. 8.3

Cynthia Size & the Eclectic Spoons
- Nice reworking of a simple vocal line. I love the rhythm sounds. Car commercial dancy. Synths are a little canned, but hey, it fits. 7.8

Satin Tails- Quirky dancy. A little monotonous, but done well. 7.4

Melvin- Makes me think of Aqueduct and Squirrel Nut Zipper. Doesn't really make me want to dance, but the music video would probably be one of those high school dance indie things. 7.6

Weakest Suit- Like garage sixties dance. Get someone with go go boots to do the video. Harmony needs work, unless you want to sound like a Kurt Cobain too strung out to keep pitch. Dirty dirty guitars.

More to come.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

spOOn wrote:caravanray - where the fuck d'you get the time?? ... really good track considering your doing the whole nur ein thing also!
:lol: There is a bit of trick to it - sort of like Superman flying really fast around the world to turn time back. Wait for a round where Songfight! and Nur Ein have exactly the same submission date - then write a song that can have 2 alternate titles.
thegiantsnail
A New Player

Post by thegiantsnail »

Eddie Lance- Suck it, Trebek. 6.5

White Hat- I think a well placed harmonica would complete the atmosphere. Like a red state Jose Gonzalez or something. Doesn't fit the dance factor, but I don't care. It's too good. 9.0

Flvxxvm Florvm
- Just sounds demented. Nice alt scale guitar work. 7.0

Calc0s
- I can resist it. I crave melody. Somebody get this man a melody. 6.3

Ham No Burger- Early nineties chorus. Most noticeable common feature of all the tracks so far- farty bass. I could do without that part of it. 7.8

Jeffrey Davis- No. Sorry.

Seamus Collective- Nice all around- but melodically deficient. 7.5

MC Paul Denyer- It's ironic when a hip hop entry has more melody than some of the sung tracks. Vocals need a boost. Right thur. 7.6

Sheail- Ever heard of Soul Food 76? This song reminds me of a compilation album I had called Freedom Fighters. It was... varied, but not always great. This song is great. No criticism here. 8.5

IP- The beginning scared me. I thought I was going to have to listen to some sweaty guy grunting through an entire track. I guess I'll have to wait for the second part for that. 7.2

Paul Rey- News flash- lost Incan tribe discovers drum machine. Film at eleven. 7.4

Big Dumb Jerks News flash- local Navajo Tribe founds drum circle. Film at 11:10. 7.4

More later...
i.p.
Llama

Post by i.p. »

Sugar Shaker Reviews!
favorites in red

Big Dumb Jerks – Raw recording, subtly amazing use of the stereo field and the overall primal sound give this song a place very close to my heart. Amazingly simple, but I love what it does.

Calc0s
– This is very subterranean feeling to me. Or maybe, this song is the theme song for the entire fight, as you seem to be saying “the sugar shaker” as a topic is what “fires you up.” It also sounds slightly commercial, so it would work as a theme for the entire fight.

Caravan Ray – I like the percussion. Cool stereo stuff in there. The chorus is very strangely catchy, and “Shake It! Shake It!” is ingrained in my head. The verses are good, but not on the same level of coolness as the chorus. Nifty lyrics though.

Eddie Lance – What is… The Sugar Shaker? No comment?

Mickyfinn
– iTunes tells me the song is called “feelin good.” This is a very correct title. Short, sweet, simple. I enjoy it.

The Giant Snail – I really like parts of this, the parts with the vocals (Vocoded? I think?).
Otherwise, it’s good, but never gets to my core.

Ham No Burger – Midi has never sounded so midi! I like the little synth solo thing, and the lyrics/music are almost a mockery of ‘dance.’ I don’t know if that was your intent, but it does it anyway.

Project-D – Goofy, totally enjoyable lyrics make up for the excessively simplistic melody/chords

Seamus Collective – Vocals and harmony get kinda annoying. This song sounds like 90’s low-budget videogame music. Not necessarily bad, just an observation.

Jeffery Davis
– How was this recorded? What is this?

Adam Adamant
– I notice I can never listen to this on iTunes? Why is that? This song is alright if you can get into the insanity, which is a little hard for me. I enjoyed moments, but it seems too long for what it is.

Cynthia Size and the @eclectic sp00ns – The vocals are the same as always. Kinda creepy, kinda cool, kinda annoying. I like all the Cynthia Size songs, and this possibly the most, the vocals seem to mesh with the music in a slightly intoxicating way. Interesting song.

Diamond Geezer
– I f___ing love this song. Everything about this song makes me happy. It is going on my “favorites” playlist right now. I guess if I had to give one constructive criticism, it would be the snare drum sound, but I understand how hard drums can be to record/program whatever… And honestly, it kinda fits in with the shaker and clap/snap things taking the percussive lead.

Electro Martyr
– Also sounds 90’s video game-y or German video game-y and then it ends.

Flvxxvm Florvm
– I am entertained by this, but also creeped out. The vocal processing works perfectly.

Hostess Mostess
– Instantly catchy and easy to listen to. Nice chord changes that aren’t too strange, but are a bit unexpected. The organish thing that comes in at one point is cool. Cool song, ultimately.

King Arthur
– I read the lyrics before I heard the song. I loved them then, and I love them now. Slllleaaaaazzzzy! Wonderful.

Level Nivelo
– Another lyrical gem. Really simple uke and voice but I can’t help but laugh at ever little bit of sexual innuendo in there. At least… I think they’re innuendo. A line like “Sugar Shakin’ on your face”???!! hahahahahahahaha!

MC Eric B – Goofy and kinda fun, but gets a bit annoying.

MC Paul Denyer
– If I could hear the lyrics better, I’d like it more. As is, all I can really hear is the synth. Thanks for posting the lyrics, because they’re really f-ing funny. JUST MAKE ‘EM LOUDER! Are you a reason 3.0 user? I can kinda tell with the synth and drum sound. I use it too, to make hip-hop beats and such. COLLABORATION?

Melvin
– More Melvin goodness! I’d see you guys live, I think you’d be way fun. Another predictably entertaining song. Kinda sounds like Arcade Fire, a tad like Bloc Party… you know, that consistent, 4 on the Floor dance-rock. Good song.

Paul Rey – Fun little uke jam. I like the feeling of it. Makes me want to sit on my porch and sing a song with friends.

Satin Tails – Very catchy right off the bat. Nice percussion. The synth-horns bug me, but that’s because I have a passionate hatred for synth-horns. No offense there. As far as synth-horns go, your usage of them is far from the worst I’ve heard. This song repeats for too long though, as it never really changes, but despite being an instrumental, it does fit “The Sugar Shaker.”

Sheail
– Fun tune. Not much more to say other than that it’s fun and quite groovy at times. Rather danceable at a loud volume. Very full sounding.

The Stateside Menace
– A bit too much “ROCK” for me. Drums start sounding kinda annoying.

The Weakest Suit – “FUCK THE NIGHT AWAY” = SAUCY! Wow… this song is raunchy and fun, If only I could hear the lyrics a bit better.

The White Hat
– This whole package is nice. Guitar and lyrics are both good. I like what you’ve done with “danceable rhythm” and “sugar shaker.” Alternative interpretations for each. Nice!

Steve Durand
– Very nice. Sweet horns. I like the traditional Mexican-ish feel.

KABUTO
– I really, really, really dislike nerdcore. I don’t care if you’re mocking it, I have a very hard time listening to it. It’s okay though, it’s not your fault, and I still respect your song. Catchy hook, The Offspring’s verse is really entertaining. I love his voice. I hate the voice of KABUTO (I assume it’s not your real voice, but just the one you assume). Anyway… I like it as far as nerdcore goes.

The Bondi Cigar
– Garage Band loops are a turn-off and I think I hear a couple in there. Often, they just don’t work with the song… This song is alright. Not great, in my opinion. It never really goes that extra step that I feel it needs.

Wes Davis
– I like it. The vocal melody is enjoyable. I just… enjoy this. Hard to say why. “Sweet like white vermouth!” makes me tingle… I have NO idea why. And, the idea that the sugar shaker smiles at me makes me feel very strange, in a great way. I feel lovingly mocked.

Zipline – Whoa. I can’t really tell you how I feel. I’m kinda confused, kinda bobbing my head. Mostly just… sitting here. Very interesting entry.

i.p. – I know it’s my own, but I still have to review it. I liked the idea we had with the creepy vocal part. I still like it a lot. The lyrics are not serious, but I like sexual they are at times. Not great though. The flow could be better at parts too. The Sax, Guitar and Drums are great. The organ is a cool touch when it comes in. The chorus… I have mixed feelings about. I don’t like how the lyrics sound there at all. The lower octave is off key and the higher octave is extremely annoying to me. I really like the vocal, non-lyrical harmony during the chorus there though. The guitar solo is great. Someone described it as “slutty” and that is a perfect description. When relaying my idea to the rest of the band for that solo, I was like “Have feedback, then play like a ‘hammer-of-thor’ solo that just emerges from the feedback after the chorus!” It came out a tad differently, but I still loved it. I like this song. I don’t think we did everything with it that we could, but hey.

Great bunch of songs! I don’t know who I’ll cast my vote for. At this point, Diamond Geezer, but we’ll see![/i]
Last edited by i.p. on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i.p.
Llama

Post by i.p. »

glennny wrote:I.P. wrote:

I got what you meant, no worries, but it's fine if you tell me to screw off too. "Shut Up and Play your guitar" is a Zappa reference, if you're not familiar, something Frank heard and responded to with a triple album of awesome instrumentals. Your guitar was great.
Remember it's all just my humble opinion, it's not personal, I was serious about the sax. I think you'll score a lot of points using sax around here, I just don't hear it much at all in submissions. There was some good aspects to your entry, I look forward to future entries from you. Besides it was far better than any Monte Carlo entry.

Also if you want to feel better just go back and read some Older Brothers or Zipline reviews. We're arguably the worst singers on Song Fight.
I like Zappa but was unfamiliar with the quote. The guitar WAS great, as was the sax. I liked the drums but we recorded them in 15 minutes, so the sound isn't all there.
We also won't be rapping on anywhere NEAR every track. That was just fitting of "The Sugar Shaker."
"bean..." is our guitar player. He is amazing. the other band member(s) aren't registered here yet. I'm the singer/keyboardest/otherwiseist.
jeff robertson
Claude
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

i.p. wrote: The vocal processing works perfectly.
Processing? Other than some distortion and reverb, the vocals came out of my throat like that.
i.p.
Llama

Post by i.p. »

jeff robertson wrote:
i.p. wrote: The vocal processing works perfectly.
Processing? Other than some distortion and reverb, the vocals came out of my throat like that.
I'm referring to that distortion and reverb. It works really well with what did come out of your throat.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mixtral
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

reveiws part two

hostessmostess - love that sample (sure i've heard it before but it's great), this is a bit high school disco and a touch peter gabriel, really rather cool.
Danceability Factor: 7.4
Song Factor: 7.2

ip - not too keen on the heavy breathing during the intro, the more sung bit during the chorus is really rather good, though the rap parts leave me rather cold, good guitar break if a little long!
Danceability Factor: 6.7
Song Factor: 7.0

ss - Aha! somebody else found the Army of Darkness samples, but then what the f*** this is awful dude!
Danceability Factor: 5.1
Song Factor: 4.0

kabuto - sounds a bit more like the bloodhound gang fronted by the great gonzo which is a plus in my book, good rap (not sold on the voice though), good lyrical flow.
Song Factor: 6.9

kingarthur - great song! just a really great song!!
Danceability Factor: 7.0
Song Factor: 8.5

levelnivelo - white boy caribbean groove, that's increadibly thin, but not altogether unappealing.
Danceability Factor: 6.1

mcericb - the groove here is more like it from you dude, better than recent entries, though once again I'm not sold on the vocals (i'm sure you had a better voice when you sung more) too short though!
Danceability Factor: 6.4
Song Factor: 6.8

mcpauldenyer - I'd love you to bring your vocals up more and make them more discernable, and don't you just love donkeys! could do with uping the tempo and a bit more variation.
Danceability Factor: 6.7
Song Factor: 6.8

melvin - brilliant! (a little franz ferdinand... hmmm!)
Danceability Factor: 7.1
Song Factor: 8.4

josepheiden - lovely track dude, not sure if i've heard anything by you before, but that's a really gentle groove, nice! definate contender.
Song Factor: 8.0

paulrey - really not my thing at all, too strange throughout!
Danceability Factor: 5.0
Song Factor: 5.0

projectd - hmmm! king arthurs more quiet twin! nice song, a little samey throughout, but everything seems to be mixed way to low.
Danceability Factor: 6.3
Song Factor: 6.9

satintails - ooh! now that's a decent groove intro, huh! pots and pans? (guess that works!) samey but danceable!) oh for some vocals!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hope to get around to posting reviews soon - If I don't though, let it be on record that my vote is still being decided between FLVXXM FLORVM and DIAMOND GEEZER. Two awesome songs.
Freddielove
Alpaca

Reviews

Post by Freddielove »

The Sugar Shaker REVIEWS:

<u><b>Adam Adamant :</b></u>
Have to have my friend from Liverpool translate this for me. Not that you sound like a scouser though. So he doesn't get it either. Hilarious, we've been listening to it over and over.

Dance rating: The Hives

<u><b>Caravan Ray :</b></u>
I'm surrounded by bongos. It's like I'm at a hippie drum circle, without the annoying patchouli smell. I like when the beat kicks in about halfway through. Nice keyboard, almost cheesy, but you get it to work. Oh no, and a flange sweep, you're pulling out all the stops. Nice background vocals, and I like how they just stop.

Dance rating: Finn brothers on holiday / Tex Beaumont and the Dirty Hearts

<u><b>Cynthia Size and the @eclectic spOOns :</b></u>
Groovy vibe here. Everything seems to work here for a dancey song. Like the vocal effects. I feel like I'm shopping for clothes at a trendy place.

Dance rating: Haddaway

<u><b>Diamond Geezer :</b></u>
Shanty fun.

Dance rating: Beach Boys

<u><b>Eddie Lance :</b></u>
Oh its the booty sound.... playing Axel F? This makes me laugh, gets points for that. This is one of the first songs I learned to play on a keyboard, should see if I still know it.

Dance rating: Cece Penniston or C & C Music Factory

<u><b>Electro Martyr :</b></u>
Eh, the track is ok. Vocals sound like Sean Ryder. Cool instrumental work.

Dance rating: Crystal Waters

<u><b>Flvxxvm Florvm :</b></u>
This sounds like industrial Nena. Vocals sound like they should be menacing, but they're benign, I like the dissonance there. Fun song.

Dance rating: Nena

<u><b>Ham No Burger :</b></u>
You live in a world where it will forever be 1988. Not a bad thing really, a lot of bands troll those waters these days. Nice structure and arrangement, cool key solo. This song makes me reminiscent for a time vaguely around 1992, has something to do with the piano sound and string synths. Good listen.

Dance Rating: Black Box

<u><b>Hostess Mostess :</b></u>
Kid voices in songs I always find annoying. Don't know why, they do. Ok, trying to move on. Guitar a little weak, like the chorus on the vocals. Overall not moving me though. Maybe its all too clean sounding, needs something to give it some grit or backbone. Well produced as always.

Dance rating: Listen Without Prejudice era George Michaels

<u><b>KABUTO feat. The Offspring :</b></u>
Ok, I'm going to overlook that you stole the beat from “Doin' the Butt”, that song had sexy, sexy. Nerdcore has been getting on my nerves lately, but this is well done. The bah bah bahs sound familiar, is that a reference to something? Good for the genre.

Dance rating: Hillary Duff

<u><b>King Arthur :</b></u>
From you're own description of your song, I was cringing when this started. I'm relieved to say this is good. I should have known better. Nice synth textures and cool echo on the vox there. And for the rhythm, this has the most groove in it of anything so far. I wish it figured more prominently in the mix though.

Dance rating: Steely Dan at a summer festival

<u><b>Level Nivelo :</b></u>
You're better than this. I guess you were going for contrast here, a lofi non-dance song to sit with the overblown dance numbers, or not. Not much to review here.

Dance rating: Viva Voce

<u><b>MC Eric B :</b></u>
I think this song would work a lot better with some kind of irony on the lyrics. As it is, its almost too earnest, like a summer camp singalong. I guess that's not bad. Something to undercut the sunny mood of the song would be more interesting. fun though.

Dance rating: Polyphonic Spree

<u><b>MC Paul Denyer :</b></u>
Ok, vocals louder please. Been listening to Dizzy Razcal? I like this better than your other stuff. Ha, right therr! Ok, it's funny to listen to an Australian rapping like someone from my city. If this is a blueprint for your future tracks, roll with it. Remember hip hop is all about vocals and beats, and we cant hear the vocals.

Dance rating: Phat Pat

<u><b>Melvin :</b></u>
Great opener, you usually have a great melody. you are a talented dude. Kick drum sounds a little too compressed. Ok, maybe not, thought it was weezing. Like the way you recorded the vocals, has some grit, not too much, has a nice Strokes sound to it. what mic are you using if you don't mind my asking? The drum playing is coming around. Have a feeing you multitracked it though. Overall, versus are better than the chorus, with the way the song starts I thought it would build to a chorus with more energy. Seems like a bit of a comedown. Still a top song either way. Build in energy towards the end, nice.

Dance rating: Frankie Beverly and Maze

<u><b>Mickyfinn</b></u>
This sounds like the B side to the “Tighten Up”, at least before the vocals. Not that they are bad just different. Now it has a more relaxed vibe. This is nice. Been listening to a lot of retro soul lately, this fits right in. I like it. Nice and light, breezy cool tune.

Dance rating: Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66

<u><b>Paul Rey :</b></u>
This reminds me of some Brazilian music I listen to. With a lofi 60s psych twist. I love the keyboard. This is unintentionally great. Or intentionally bad. Either way, perfect.

Dance rating: Amon Tobin

<u><b>Project-D :</b></u>
This song is so flanged it sounds like it was recorded in 1973. In Key West. On a giant crab float in a parade.

Dance rating: Jimmy Buffet

<u><b>Satin Tails :</b></u>
Ha, you just insist on using brass patches. Works here though. Funky groove, could be the into song to a movie about comedically inept LA gangsters. Great guitar, nice percussion, nice track. Needs a spoken word vocal on top ala Art Brut to put this one over.

Dance rating: The Meters

<u><b>Sheail :</b></u>
Clavichord is just cool. Favorite part of the song. Nice chord changes. Guitar solo not doing it for me, seems out of place. Beat sounds canned which is fine, but it need something to vary it up.

Dance rating: Ready for the World

<u><b>Steve Durand :</b></u>
All about the horn playing. A welcome change as always. Could be a stronger beat, but it fits well. Nice story in the lyrics.

Dance rating: Average White Band

<u><b>The Big Dumb Jerks :</b></u>
Luau night at the Diamond Head Ramada, with torch throwing. Cool beat. Never get a song though.

Dance rating: OMC

<u><b>The Bondi Cigar :</b></u>
Professional sounding. Nicer guitar sound. Wish there was more to it lyrically, but then it is dance music, so you get a pass on that.

Dance rating: Dhizan n Kamien

<u><b>The Giant Snail :</b></u>
I like keyboard arpeggios, this one is cool. Oooooh, the Cher, the Cher. You are going to get flamed for this. I would like your song better without it. I like this song, the vocals are distracting and it ends abruptly.

Dance rating: Cher

<u><b>The Seamus Collective :</b></u>
Nice track, wish the verses got off the one note though. Well produced. Cool song, needs more of a melody to be memorable, even for a dance song. Nice vocals on the chorus. Has a gospel choir feel to it.

Dance Rating: David Bisbal

<u><b>The Stateside Menace :</b></u>
Intro grabs me. Good rock vocals. Chorus a letdown though. Doesn't feel very inspired. Great guitar work, and the harmonies in the middle eight are nice. Still, needs a stronger chorus to build on.

Dance rating: Dave Grohl

<u><b>The Weakest Suit :</b></u>
Whoah T Rex all over this one. Could do without the f**k the night away lyric, not because it offends my delicate sensibilities, just because it sounds lazy. Backing vocals seems out of tune. Song starts off great, then loses its way.

Dance rating: Soup Dragons

<u><b>The White Hat :</b></u>
Nice intro. Like the chords. Nice guitar playing, especially in the chorus. Folks, this is how G n G gets done, take notes. Nice descension on the “Don't think that you're alone”. Great work.

Dance rating: Louis XIV

<u><b>Wes Davis Feat. Git McSloppyfingers :</b></u>
Nice voice, need to turn down that guitar a bit though, or eq some of the boom out of it, so the vocals can get through better. What's with all the flange in in this fight? That's a few songs now. Goes on a bit too long. Great vocal performance though.

Dance rating: Travis

<u><b>Zipline :</b></u>
This is unique. Enjoying this in the way that its something you wouldn't hear anywhere else and I want to know where it goes.

Dance rating: Dayton

<u><b>calc0s :</b></u>
Early 90s techno / industrial sound. Not bad. Congratulations on recording a vocal that sounds like something you found in a sound clip archive, in a good way. Cool.

Dance rating: Information Society

<u><b>i.p. :</b></u>
I thought this would suck emensely from the intro. That sound is still grating, but the song is pretty good. A little early for the arena rock solo, but whatever you're feeling. Ok, now its going on way too long. I like the lyrics, good fit for the title, toss off, but catchy. The background oohs, the high ones, not the gasps, are fantastic, groovy and unerving at the same time. Nice synchopation on the versus. Funny ending. Really like this.

Dance Rating: Fela Kuti

<u><b>Measle</b></u>
Funny lyric to start with. Apparently that's all there is to this, just srting to tap my finger.

Dance rating: Tiesto

No great songs, but a lot of good ones.

Caravan Ray, Cynthia Size and the @eclectic spOOns, Melvin, Mickyfinn, The White Hat, ip, Steve Durand, hamnoburger, King Athur, MC Paul Denyer, Paul Rey, and Satin Tails are some.

Melvin and ip are the favs.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
i.p.
Llama

Re: Reviews

Post by i.p. »

Lots of negative comments on the grunts. I'm not complaining! Don't get me wrong! It's just a note-to-self.
Thanks Freddielove! Glad you enjoyed it. And doublethanks for getting the capitalization right on our name!
HamNoBurger
Llama

Reviews

Post by HamNoBurger »

I'd just like to say that I'm thrilled several of these reviews have "gotten" that my tune is supposed to emulate late-80s/early-90s cookie-cutter dance-pop (Black Box, C&C Music Factory). I channeled my inner-Marky-Mark, set my guitar down, and tried something fun. What scares me though, is that I actually ended up liking it. I will go cry now.
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Have to say, lyrically Denyer continues to move worryingly close to genius. Fortunately for the rest of rapdom, he can't mix for shit. Right therrrr.

I only wish I had the 'purple ronnie' style animation style to do a video that did the song justice.
mickyfinn
A New Player

Post by mickyfinn »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. this is my first songfight and i think i made it through the guantlet without wearing too many war scars. (so far) so heres to shaking your sugar, and shaking it well.

mf