Transformers

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Transformers

Post by sausage boy »

I am a huge fan of Transformers, and I met the announcment of a new live action Transformers movie with equal exhilaration and trepetation. So the last few months have been a bit on edge. There was a lot Michael Bay could do to screw this movie up, or just miss use a bunch of cool characters.

Basically, I was very happy with this movie.

First of all, I think it was an excellent move to focus more on the humans than the Transformers. We can connect better with the humans, and can understand a lot about the Transformers by how the humans react to them.

The character designs for the different Transformers were good, though Frenzy seemed a little too over the top for me (he seemed more like a robot Gremlin than a Transformer).

The whole movie is filled with little references and nod-nod-wink-wink-say-no-more parts to the Transformers cartoon, toys and comics. Some of it feels forced, while some fits in.

Megatron is criminally underused. Actually, quite a lot of the Decepticons are. Except Barricade, who gets an awesome interrigation scene involving dubious ebay user names and items. In fact, I think ebay must have sponsored the movie in some way.

Ok, so, overall, go see this movie. It is awesome.

A
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Is your name Elias? :)
* this is not a disclaimer
i.p.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by i.p. »

GOING TO THIS TONIGHTTTTTT

I'M SOOO EXCIIIITTTEDDDDD
i.p. is: James Bean, Lex Butera-Smith and Ivan Becker-Wayman (and some friends now and then).
i.p. on the forums is Lex Butera-Smith
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Just came back from seeing it. It was surprisingly really good. None of the actors were terrible, the trailer hadn't given everything away, and nothing was too cheesy. My only teeny tiny complaint is the stringing together of the story-lines. Sometimes the movie would be focused on one plot-line for a good 30 minutes, and then suddenly cut back to another. And one storyline didn't really get a resolution, though it's probably a deleted scene somewhere (the blond hacker chick and the guys who were fighting the little skeety cd player thing). (Although, seriously, I would not want a bunch of robot-cars watching me makeout with my hero-boyfriend on top of my hero-boyfriend's robot car. Way too creepy.)

Definite A.
Songfighter since back in the day.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Mindless entertainment for a boring night. Better than I expected, and I always enjoy Shia LeBouf. If you're going to see this you should see it on the big screen (which means paying more money, which raises [for the cheap] the question of whether it's worth seeing at all). It's worth seeing if someone else pays for your ticket.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

finally saw this last night.
basically, i thought it was horrible.
there was nothing in it that i didn't see in the previews, except more boring bits with the humans.
the story sucked. the attempts at humor were flat, the minimal characterization of the autobots was embarrassing.
and how do these huge fucking robots jump around like they have no weight?
also, "ghetto" jazz was embarrassing. scatman c. did such a great job with jazz's voice back in the 80's, that for michael bay to turn him into a ganster wannabe hurt my heart a little. i was glad when he was ripped in half.
the whole thing was a travesty.
even the transformations looked more like just morphing than actual transforming.
also, everyone is talking about how the effects in this movie are "trend setting" like Jurassic Park or The Matrix. i didn't think so. i thought the original jurassic park dinosaurs were better done. they seemed more "in the environment" and i actually was scared for the characters in that movie. the transformers were just silly looking and the physics in their movements was so wrong that it made them seem removed from causing any physical harm to any of the main human actors.
seeing potter 5 in 3D IMAX this weekend. i hope it is better than this was. so disappointed.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

The Weakest Suit wrote: also, everyone is talking about how the effects in this movie are "trend setting" like Jurassic Park or The Matrix. i didn't think so. i thought the original jurassic park dinosaurs were better done. they seemed more "in the environment" and i actually was scared for the characters in that movie.
But at least in Transformers when they looked like robots it's because they're actually supposed to and not because there are no actual dinosaurs to put in a movie.