Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Hey Ho and off to war we go - again?

Post by Kamakura »

Big trouble seems to be looming in the Ukraine.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europ ... index.html

Now I know a lot of you won't really give a damn, but it's less than a thousand miles from where I'm sitting...
And they have a HUGE nuclear arsenal...
And Russia's on one side...
And America's on the other...
Ring any bells?
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Future Boy »

Man, that's worse than the states. The both have the same first name and very very similar last names. What a headache.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Hmm. Probably just sabre rattling.

After Afganistan, Powell and Bush threatened Syria (which is supposedly a US ally), and after the 'end' of the Iraq invasion, they threatened Iran, before realising Iraq wasn't going to be quite such a pushover. There was even speculation about North Korea being next.

Often, all that's needed to scare a country into line is to drop a few dark but vague hints of invasion or just attack. Actually sending in troops or bombers isn't necessary when the threat is enough.

Plus, Iraq is not going to be subdued any time soon, and the plan is almost cirtainly to secure Iraq before moving on. America does have the weapons and troops to fight on two fronts, but I don't think it has the will.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I'm ignorant about this region - but I was of the belief that Ukaine has a fairly homogenous Russian/Slavic population. Meaning that this is really just some petty political squabbling (albeit with a lot at stake).

I'm guessing that Ukraine isn't split along racial/cultural lines like Yugoslavia - hence it's unlikely that this would degenerate into something completely messy.

Feel free to correct me - this is vague guesswork.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Caravan Ray wrote:I'm ignorant about this region - but I was of the belief that Ukaine has a fairly homogenous Russian/Slavic population. Meaning that this is really just some petty political squabbling (albeit with a lot at stake).

I'm guessing that Ukraine isn't split along racial/cultural lines like Yugoslavia - hence it's unlikely that this would degenerate into something completely messy.

Feel free to correct me - this is vague guesswork.
There isn't anything to worry about..that news is newsworthy..but it's not exactly 'scary' at this point.

We've pretty much stayed out of their affairs in the past..and probably still will. Colin is just bein' 'dad' about it as to remind them that they need to settle down and it's just a 'don't make me come up there' thing.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

If there's a war, it isn't going to be one America or the UK is likely to get involved with at this point. We generally hit up trade sanctions and go to the UN for this sort of thing, first. (The sitch with Iraq was not like this at all).
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/11 ... index.html

election nullified...

now everyone is wondering if it's even legal by their law..yadda yadda.

just an update.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Hoblit wrote:election nullified...
damnit dude, you should've said "ukraine election"

because you had me all excited for a minute