My Darling Reviews

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

EmbersOfAutumn wrote:
Joblito : I just think that the raspy, “I’m-angry-at-just-about-everything ..."
You don't realize it, but thats actually a compliment.
g4meboy
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by g4meboy »

Being new here I don't really want to post reviews of what I didn't like because that just seems rude.

I voted for Of Science And Numbers. It's probably due to the fact I'm a closet rude boy and really didn't expect ska to pop up. I really liked the dichotomy between the music/lyrics/theme. Since it's ska I really wanted to be happy when listening to the song, but the instrumental brought down my mood. It fit well. It's hard to get multiple reactions, so kudos. I really have to agree with EmbersOfAutumn, loved the breakdown. Great third wave music.

On a sidenote, do you listen to The Toasters?
Most hated nerdcore rapper.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

g4meboy wrote:Great third wave music.
No such thing.

Anyway, just my opinion. Don't take it to mean anything. :)

Anyway, on to my main point, I'd like a review, if you wouldn't mind. I'd consider it helpful, and not rude. Unless you're just going to totally trash my song. That might be a little rude, because my submission has got some merits. But in any case, I'd prefer hearing your opinion to not hearing it.
g4meboy
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by g4meboy »

Well, I do admit I like two-tone better than third wave, so I guess I'll let that comment slide. :wink:

I really enjoyed the instrumental work. Absolutely no complaints there, but I thought the vocals sounded kind of forced/unnatural. I can tell you were into your song and that was great, but I thought the lyrics were kind of poor. Especially "go fly a kite" and "cut like a knife." Though it does sound like I didn't like the song, when it ended, I did enjoy it, and have listened to it several times since the first time. I just felt that vocal/lyrically there could've been more improvement.
ofscienceandnumbers
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ofscienceandnumbers »

g4meboy wrote:I voted for Of Science And Numbers.
Hey, thanks man.
g4meboy wrote:On a sidenote, do you listen to The Toasters?
Somewhat. I have a few of their records, though I haven't heard anything since around "Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down." I actually saw them twice. Once in Chicago during the Coolie era, but he was sick, so they brought Cashew back. That was cool. The other time was in Milwaukee during the Jack Ruby era (I have no idea if he's still in the band or not).
Of Science and Numbers
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

g4meboy wrote:Well, I do admit I like two-tone better than third wave, so I guess I'll let that comment slide. :wink:

I really enjoyed the instrumental work. Absolutely no complaints there, but I thought the vocals sounded kind of forced/unnatural. I can tell you were into your song and that was great, but I thought the lyrics were kind of poor. Especially "go fly a kite" and "cut like a knife." Though it does sound like I didn't like the song, when it ended, I did enjoy it, and have listened to it several times since the first time. I just felt that vocal/lyrically there could've been more improvement.
Well, no offense taken. Except the "go fly a kite" line. I liked that line, and a friend complimented me on that one, specifically. But you're right about the knife thing. I'm basically a bad singer and a worse lyricist. I'm afraid you'll have to deal with that for now. I feel that lyrics don't matter at all, and vocals are only bad if they're out of tune, so I feel like I did alright with this one. And if I remember correctly, these are first take vocals, and pretty quickly written lyrics. That's not to say the vocals would have gotten any better. I'm just bad. Listen to some of my other stuff if you need proof. This was a difficult title, and I cannot think outside the box at all. So bleh.

Eh, thanks for the review. Welcome to SongFight! and have fun here, above all else. Serious musical pursuits ought to come second, I think. But if that's your focus, that's fine, too. I look forward to hearing some of your material.
g4meboy
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by g4meboy »

I guess it depends on how you wanted the song presented. The fly a kite line felt comedic, which is good, but I felt like the song was on a more serious note so it just threw me off. That's probably the issue I had with it. I think it's more along the lines of I've used a lot of those rhymes before. "Strife" is my favorite word in music because it's saved me so many times. Yeah, the vocals were in tune and fine like that. Again, I'm not trying to put your stuff down. I did enjoy the song on a whole. And I do agree on the title. I'm glad I joined this week instead of last week. I'll take your opinions on vocal/lyrics into consideration next time. Sorry bro.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

g4meboy wrote:I guess it depends on how you wanted the song presented. The fly a kite line felt comedic, which is good, but I felt like the song was on a more serious note so it just threw me off. That's probably the issue I had with it. I think it's more along the lines of I've used a lot of those rhymes before. "Strife" is my favorite word in music because it's saved me so many times. Yeah, the vocals were in tune and fine like that. Again, I'm not trying to put your stuff down. I did enjoy the song on a whole. And I do agree on the title. I'm glad I joined this week instead of last week. I'll take your opinions on vocal/lyrics into consideration next time. Sorry bro.
I guess songs are supposed to speak for themselves, but it might help to know that I'm never completely serious or literal, lyrically. If it feels inconsistent, it probably is. I just remembered that I misjudged the deadline for submission on this one, and found myself with about two hours to put the whole song together, with only the chord structure in mind at the start of that period.

I deliberately avoided using "strife," actually, because I feel like it's somewhat cliché in lyrics, if only because it ends up getting used way more often than it does in conversation. I think poetry gets weird if it starts to sound too different from normal language. Nobody is ever like, "Ah, dude, my job is just causing me so much strife! I hate that place! Two more weeks, and I'm out of there!" It might actually be true that I've never heard someone say strife in a conversation, but I've certainly heard it in poetry and music. I'm not excluding its use completely, but I figure I ought to deny it use at least two or three times, before I throw it in, unless it's exactly what the song needs.

In any case, regardless of what I've said, just point out what sounds good or bad, and why. Be specific. I want to hear the overall impression, but then what made it good or failed to. You did fine with that, especially after you elaborated on it. Sorry to drag this out ad nauseum, if it's starting to feel that way.
g4meboy
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by g4meboy »

Just because of that post I'm going to start using strife in daily life. Just because the quote you gave was funny.

It's not dragged out for me. Always good to learn how to do/not do things and get other opinions. Though for someone not involved in the conversation, they're probably wishing I just stop talking.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Well, that's what I'm thinking. We better cut it out.

See you next week, man.
Hell Biscuit
A New Player

Post by Hell Biscuit »

Being new here I don't really want to post reviews of what I didn't like because that just seems rude.
I, too, would appreciate any feedback I can get. And I wouldn't consider it rude, unless it was blatantly so - but being a fellow n00b, perhaps even that would be warrented.
anyho, have at it.
Selections from Hell Biscuit's 4th of July album can be heard at: http://www.myspace.com/hellbiscuit

Music of a more serious, less obnoxius tone may be heard at: http://www.myspace.com/oxfordcommas
g4meboy
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by g4meboy »

Hell Biscuit wrote:I, too, would appreciate any feedback I can get. And I wouldn't consider it rude, unless it was blatantly so - but being a fellow n00b, perhaps even that would be warrented.
anyho, have at it.
This is mostly because I'm a theatre person, but enunciate. You're not necessarily mumbling your words or singing soft, but it's hard to understand because you're not hitting every consonant. You probably could've picked up the instrumental (made it louder) at 1:32. Otherwise I thought it was a pretty good acoustic song though. Definitly something I'd want to listen to if I just wanted to mellow out for a bit.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

This may be useful or not. But some responses to listenings:

<b>Spinlock</b>: I love the quirky funk and how punchy this is. "Twist another screw" is sweet. The short length works well here, not something to stretch out.

<b>Sven</b>: This grows on me more each time I listen to it. At first it was all mushy and dense, but now I find myself singing it in my head during a boring meeting at Verizon. I love the break "oh my darlin" section. This is all very poppy and catchy. And yes, JR rocks the drums!

<b>The Weakest Suit</b>: Another song that grows on me each listen. It started as a flat droaning tune, but I love these changes, like awkward poems that surprise and delight. The minor change is great. I like the weird ending, too.

<b>Acid Cadillac</b>: I like that low voice. But the parrellel harmonic accompanyment is a little too tiresome after the first time around. The drums and guitar are a bit manic, but I like the sudden end.

<b>Add</b>: I love how this simple song sounds far more complicated than it is. Very Talking Heads 77 in it's directness. The mix suffers a bit here and there, but otherwise this is a great stadium anthem song. And I'll be screaming along with it when you come round this area. Lovely extended break. SHould we bring our own lighters?

<b>down with gender</b>: I actually love the intro of this, and sort of want it to have a great lyric. It may.

<b>embers of autumn</b>: I like how it builds and releases at the end. A few production items could vastly improve the overall sound, I think. The guitars are nice and warm and echo-y, but your dry voice sounds pasted on, so some soft reverb might help it sit in there better. Also, the stereo field could be used to great effect here. Maybe the dweedle guitars maybe could be panned across from each other. And punchier drums in the EQ might lighten up the thickness of it all.

<b>Strangers</b>: This is just really repetitive. And it also repeats itself a lot. There's gettin down to it, and eyes are shouting (or something) but the lyric never says anything. And its' repetitive.

<b>Joblito</b>: If only John Balushi could perform this! Not your deepest lyric, but I love the screaming chorus. YEAH!

<b>Level Nivelo</b>: While your lyric seem shallow, I get the feeling this is targeting someone real. Your uke is as usual cute.

<b>Lopez and the Destroyers</b>: I love the intro. "A tropical prawn"...did that just rhyme? With some loving care this song could grow up to be good.

<b>Melvin</b>: Loving the moarnful changes through this. And the sustained keys/bass notes that add lots of tension.

<b>MSP</b>: Loving the production aspects, and the Mike Rutherfordness of it all. Nicely done.

<b>Of Science and Numbers</b>: I loving starting with the chorus and the transition into ska. I guess the ending before start thing gets a little tired after a few times, but the relentless layered styles and parts keeps it going.

<b>RWB</b>: "molecular fusion" is your "tropical pawn". It's too out of place and curious but unltimately doesn't say anything, a few times.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

roymond wrote:Reviews.
Anything for me or MC Eric B?
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

milothefultz wrote:
Sven wrote: Lopez and the Destroyers (id3 tag, I have no idea): This song makes me feel like throwing up. So, uh, good job, if that's what you were trying for. Bad.
Due to the...?
Due to the song, as I said initially :)
ofscienceandnumbers wrote:
Sven wrote:Some bad frequencies in there, but that's just a production nitpick. Maybe roll off the autotune a bit next time, m'kay? Good.
Ah . . . Guilty. You're talking about the horns, right? When you say "roll off," are you suggesting not autotuning at all, or just eq-ing out the upper frequencies? Because I really can't play those things in tune. Thanks.
Those were seperate observations; I hear some bad frequencies, and, apart from that, I hear what I think are some seriously autotuned vocals... are you saying you didn't autotune the vox? I mean, I guess there's nothing wrong with doing that if you did, but I'd rather hear a few imperfect pitches than robotic electronic Cher voice. Not that you sounded like that, I'm generalising here. I didn't notice anything on the horns, BTW...
* this is not a disclaimer
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

roymond wrote: <b>Add</b>: I love how this simple song sounds far more complicated than it is. Very Talking Heads 77 in it's directness. The mix suffers a bit here and there,
Glad you like the song, Roy. It'd be useful to get some specifics on where you think the mix has problems. Thanks.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Acid Cadillac: I like some of the instrumental heaviness here, but there’s something a little too random and loud about the vocals. Kind of kills the buzz for me.

ADD: Third great track from you in as many fights. Gnarly fuzz bass. Outstanding vocal performance. Got slightly worried the song was going to tank during the second “movement”, but you managed to lull me into a whole new mood. Very well done.

Down With Gender: The band name had me well-prepared for the Nihilistic Eurocrap that followed.

Embers of Autumn: This tune has some nice elements to it, but could use a little bit of doctoring. I’d consider giving the delayed guitar a little more melodic direction, or perhaps it’s just that all the delay is causing the melody to walk all over itself. Either way, I’d clean it up. I’d also give the vocals a little more work. The trick that really helped me was to play the vocal melody on guitar and practice singing to it, so you can really attack a clear melody with confidence. Finally, I’d punch up the drums in the mix, but tone down the excessive use of fake cymbals. I’m spouting all these opinions not because I think the track is bad, but because I think you have something good that’s worth working on.

Hell Biscuit: I kind of like this. Mix suggestion: put some compression on the vocal. This song doesn’t really go too many places, but it seems to work anyway. I was actually hoping it would rock out for a second time at the end.

Joblito: You sound legitimately pissed off. Funny how raw, honest emotion can, in itself, be just as engaging as a great melody or, say, one shoe on fire. Cool track.

Level Nivelo: I don’t mean to cop out on this review, but this strikes me as a novelty track. It’s amusing, but not in a musical sense.

Lopez and The Destroyers: Loved the intro, and really expected this to be something great. But ouch, that transition to the verse just sucked. Sorry! A lot of the problem is mix related. Make the vocal tracks, like, way quieter, and this will work a lot better. There’s some cool instrumental stuff happening, and the concept is cute. Keep at it. I like your moxie, kid.

Lord of Oats: I just listened to your audio review of my track from the last fight – thanks for all the praise, and don’t be so hard on yourself. This track is pretty good. I really like the guitar solo. Keep making music, and order my new book, How To Be Way More Confident.

MC Eric B: There’s something really wonky with the drum rhythm here that I just can’t fully get past. Having said that, there’s something creepy and catchy about this. Not bad.

Melvin: I didn’t achieve what I wanted with this track, partly because I can’t play lead guitar worth a damn. I should have asked one of our resident shredders like Paco or Glen or JR to take a solo for the last third.

MSP: This track surprised me. Due to ingrained biases, I was ready to hate it in the first few seconds, then it turned all wickedly awesome. Great singing, and a really cool blend of digital and analog sounds. Extremely well played / arranged / produced. Not even sure how you’d classify this sound, but dang, this is an excellent track.

Of Science and Numbers: Welcome back! Haven’t seen you around here in a while. You are back in fine form, my friend. I really like this. Guitarmonies always win my heart. Horns are cool. Straight-up pop melodies are sweet. Rythmn guitars are fat. It’s all good!

RWB: Seems like a petty good song performed a little too sloppily for my tastes. Although that solo sound is rad.

Roymond feat. Anti-M: This is really cool. Great vocal combo. I’ll probably sound like a real musical simpleton saying this, but this has a sophistication to it that kind of fascinates me as a writer of, uh, relatively simple music. The way that change is executed just after 3:00 is seriously amazing. The reprise after 4:00 seems a little unnecessary, to be honest. Nonetheless, this track sounds exotic and moody in a very cool way. Nice work.

Spinlock: I don’t particularly like the style of this, but I do respect its sharp and polished execution. Solid playing, singing and production.

Sven: This rules. The mix sounds a bit squishy and odd – too compressed maybe? But that aside, I love this. Guitars sound wicked. I’ve checked some of your older tunes, and wish you’d Songfight more often, because I really dig your stuff. It’s like the best of 90s indie rock all over again. totally sweet track.

Weakest Suit: A very dreamy Mr. Suit. I like the passion in this. You’ve managed to be plaintive and pleading, without being whiny and pathetic. Not an easy task. Also, the length is perfect, and the little guitar tag at the end is spot on. Good job.
hi!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:<b>Joblito</b>: If only John Balushi could perform this! Not your deepest lyric, but I love the screaming chorus. YEAH!
Yeah, this one is definitely on the surface and I'm wearing it on my sleeve which brings me to:
melvin wrote:Joblito: You sound legitimately pissed off. Funny how raw, honest emotion can, in itself, be just as engaging as a great melody or, say, one shoe on fire. Cool track.
Thank you.
ofscienceandnumbers
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ofscienceandnumbers »

Sven wrote:
ofscienceandnumbers wrote:
Sven wrote:Some bad frequencies in there, but that's just a production nitpick. Maybe roll off the autotune a bit next time, m'kay? Good.
Ah . . . Guilty. You're talking about the horns, right? When you say "roll off," are you suggesting not autotuning at all, or just eq-ing out the upper frequencies? Because I really can't play those things in tune. Thanks.
Those were seperate observations; I hear some bad frequencies, and, apart from that, I hear what I think are some seriously autotuned vocals... are you saying you didn't autotune the vox? I mean, I guess there's nothing wrong with doing that if you did, but I'd rather hear a few imperfect pitches than robotic electronic Cher voice. Not that you sounded like that, I'm generalising here. I didn't notice anything on the horns, BTW...
No, no, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I autotuned the horns and the vox. I tell myself that I shouldn't be embarrassed by that due to the fact that I never actually claim that I can sing or play the trumpet, but I am. The reason I asked about the horns is because I could tell that they seemed phasey after I tuned them. The vocals I can never tell on, but apparently you can. What is it? Does something in the timbre change, or is it that they're just too in tune? Something else, perhaps? I would really like to improve this. But just let me say, my raw vocals are unacceptably out of tune.

Just so you know, too, I'm heading out in the morning for an out-of-town wedding, so I probably won't be responding until at least Sunday. I'm not ignoring you.

Melvin, thanks for the welcome back. It's good to be here again. I just came down with a bad case of life over the past 21 or so months. I was having quite a songwriting dry spell too, but Song Fight seems to have fixed that and I'm loving it. I'm out on the next fight (see above), but will most likely do the one after that.
Of Science and Numbers
MSP
A New Player

Post by MSP »

[quote="melvin"]
Melvin: I didn’t achieve what I wanted with this track, partly because I can’t play lead guitar worth a damn. I should have asked one of our resident shredders like Paco or Glen or JR to take a solo for the last third.

MSP: This track surprised me. Due to ingrained biases, I was ready to hate it in the first few seconds, then it turned all wickedly awesome. Great singing, and a really cool blend of digital and analog sounds. Extremely well played / arranged / produced. Not even sure how you’d classify this sound, but dang, this is an excellent track.
[quote]

Thanks for the positive review. I actually had to edit the intro down because I was worried people would only take 5 seconds of that "noise" before deciding it was junk, so I kicked the vox in pretty quick. Let me know if you ever need lead guitar tracks, I'd be happy to throw something down as an option for your tracks.
"ummm, yeah....let's take it up an octave & leave it out"
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh, hey, Down With Gender is back. Or have they been back for a while? I haven't really been paying attention.

Sounding a lot better these days, too. Kudos on trying to actually make something decent for a change.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Lord of Oats wrote:
roymond wrote:Reviews.
Anything for me or MC Eric B?
Oops sorry. I remember getting a call and i thought i backed up. Will fill the gap later.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face