Alphabet. P-U-P-P-I-E-S. Alphabet. (puppy reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Last edited by fluffy on Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

...I know that.

I review without looking at the artist name, so I just presumed they were all from the 2004 fight, although I knew that some weren't. Sorry if that... annoyed you or something.
Songfighter since back in the day.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Then why the confusion?
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Because of the way you phrased it. Never mind.
Songfighter since back in the day.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Okay, so like, my top choice is a toss-up between Les Diphthongs and NiL. I think I'll just vote for NiL for old times' sake, 'specially since their song has totally held up against the test of time and still sounds damn good for 64kbps mono (unlike Les Diphthongs who had the second-highest average bitrate in the whole fight, and the largest file, though granted it was also the longest song but still).
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

ok to make a long story short: you said something about using the optional challenge. when that particular song was recorded and submitted, it was neither optional nor a challenge. that's just the way it was.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, exactly.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Jim of Seattle (A+)
The music part is good - no, REAL good - and while I was at first put off by random plugging of the title, after I listened a little bit more I realized that I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, and for some reason I like it anyway. Flawless production is always a plus.

Roymond (B)
Did you bring Frank Zappa back to life for the crazy middle section? It's scary how much that sounds like Zappa... the rest of it not so much though. Overall it's okay, but I especially enjoyed the middle section and the laughing woman in the background.

Les Dipthongs (A-)
You hit the style perfectly - I really like the feel of this track. But I don't speak French and I'm not going to bother figuring it out, so I can't critique your lyrics (not that I probably would have listened to them anyway). Great song, but not the type of thing I would listen to by itself. Could work very well set to film or a stage production.

BJAM! (B)
Not bad. It's cool that your father joined in the fun. But not really my thing.

Carol Cleveland Sings (B-)
Super bonus points for referencing the title right away without going right out and saying it first thing. One thing I like a lot about your entries is that you bring in the titles more subtly than most. This track started off great, but stretched out too long and never really got up enough energy... By which I mean, I kept waiting for the big chorus that never came. Too much compression maybe? Whatever it is, it's a real bummer.

The Nihilistic Carebear (D+)
"Offensive man?" Is that what you're saying? Hold on... it's over? Damn. Well then so is my review.

WreckdoM (?)
I don't have a name for the genre that is WreckdoM; all I know is that it involves the inner workings of the minds of babies and young children. And that is all I know about that.

Vanilla Dragon (D+)
It's like you did what I did, except I like mine better. And I only subjected the world to 57 seconds of it - I think that has to count for something.

Caravan Ray (C+)
Cool riff. Too long. That's about it, I think.

Joshua and Lorrie
Live stuff is good, and funny idea, but I think you know what's wrong with this. The opposite of the previous two - not long enough. When you have a really simple progression and a really simple form, all you have to do is write more verses to make it longer. And you can write lyrics on the bus, or while you take a shit, or wherever.

Interesting. I think the general idea of this fight is, we had extra time to work on stuff, and most people (myself included) did a half-assed job anyway. My favorites were JoS and Les Dipthongs, in that order. The old songs I didn't bother with... Technical disqualification for not having been written in the allotted time period (i.e. I didn't find them interesting enough or care enough to review them).

Oh yeah, and as for me... I like my groovy bass line. For some reason I thought it was due on Tuesday, otherwise I would have done more, but I'm pleased with my entry for a couple reasons. One, actually entering a fight for the first time since the first time (not counting my brief cowbell stint with The Golgi Apparatus). Two, doing some things in an electronic song that I've never done before. And I think the concept is worth at least a groan, if not a laugh. ;)
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

the Jazz wrote:actually entering a fight for the first time since the first time
wow, you've been around for such a while (about as long as i have actually, according to dumbrella's member list) that i hadn't realised you had only submitted one actual songfight entry...
BIOT
A New Player

Post by BIOT »

Single review from a SF fan (with huge unashamed personal genre bias, as one of the many that vote but seldom write)

BJAM – clever concept, clear lyrics with a story and complimentary backing music, good fun with the duet’s relationship. Hard title to do something with other than barking dogs, and you pulled it off. No samples, no dogs barking (over and over), no repeating puppies over and over and over. Good job and many votes (I’m sure).
"In me the caresser of life wherever moving, backward as well as forward sluing, To niches aside and junior bending, not a person or object missing, Absorbing all to myself and for this song." W. Whitman
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Bjam - Generic rock n roll progression with a style of lyric that seems to compliment it. Not a big fan of the midi bass with the the recorded guitar offset. Would've preferred a real bass or a better sample. Sort of like a song that was written for a bad community theatre musical and demo tape created for the potential workshop. 8)

Caravan Ray - You of all people should understand the repetitive, non-creative aspects presented by you in this piece. I'd like the musical ideas if I was more into Casio music.

CCS - Quintessential CCS. One of the only groups here that can make such a strange title work. Lyrics are clever, but you use this chordal formula often and it does start to sound a little too much like your other work. Still dug it, cuz there is an abundance of talent in production and song craftwork behind it. 8)

Giant Robot - 64 kbps and rockin. Good song. Dated, but good song.

The Jazz - Great bass line. I can appreciate where it comes from. The dog barking does get a wee bit redundant and pretty much detracts from the coolness of the bass line.

JoS - The string elements combined with awesome chords is wonderful in this music. I especially loved the non-sequiter lyrics combined with the music. Like a surreal journey to the center of nonsensical concepts confusing me, saddening me, but making me feel good by the end. 8)

Joshua and Lorrie - Noodly and meandering straight ahead chords with vocals that find humour in themselves early, debasing a song that could have been better executed.

Les Diphthongs - C'est tres, tres bien. Ton francais est merveilleux. Magnifiique. 8)

Nihilistic Care Bears - Sounds like Jute behind this one. I love it for it's swiftness, but the title gets to sound more like noise to me. 8)

Nils- Music is great. An obviously timeless piece. Love the sax and the jazzy sensibilities, although repeating the title over and over gets stale for me and doesn't really tell me that it is a song, but more of a piece. 8)

Prickly Pears - Even at 64 kbps the noise floor is unbearable. Distraction to the point of STOP.

Roymond - Love the stereo sample of the dog going for a walk in the opening. Hate the drum machine. Nice ideas Roymond and by the time it gets to the breakdown I'm kinda digging this. Not my fave, but not too bad. More story, less easy title repetition.

Vanilla Dragon - Sample city with the boringness that would accompany such a concept.

Wreckdom - Naaaaa, you guys done better. Maybe the kids would like it. Wonder if you guys are parents yourselves? Spidey = cool!!

So my faves of this fight are:

JoS, CCS, Les Diphthongs, and Bjam (for one of the few who actually created a song)

I was surprised at how many of you didn't create songs but pieces, but with a title like that I think it would be hard to derive meaning. However it is the idea of SF to create songs. It's a toss up between JoS and Les Diphthongs. I think I'm voting Les Diphthongs for representin' the French. Proud Canuck who fears seperation. I'll have to dwell on this.

- Pablo
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Just had a listen to all the songs and they are all absolutely abysmal. Perhaps you have all gone back to your musical puppy stage and learning your musical ABCD. When you take the synth out of the box, you can press the buttons to try out the presets - but don't make a song out of it.

Proper reviews later.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Bell Green wrote:When you take the synth out of the box, you can press the buttons to try out the presets - but don't make a song out of it.
wow, that's fantastic. i'm going to save myself SO MUCH anguish now, by copying and pasting that into 75% of my somesongs reviews in the future.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Bell Green wrote:Just had a listen to all the songs and they are all absolutely abysmal. Perhaps you have all gone back to your musical puppy stage and learning your musical ABCD. When you take the synth out of the box, you can press the buttons to try out the presets - but don't make a song out of it.

Proper reviews later.
Dick.

Thank god you had a cold so we didn't have to endure your abysmal song with those abysmal lyrics.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Bell Green wrote:Just had a listen to all the songs and they are all absolutely abysmal. Perhaps you have all gone back to your musical puppy stage and learning your musical ABCD. When you take the synth out of the box, you can press the buttons to try out the presets - but don't make a song out of it.

Proper reviews later.
Dick.

Thank god you had a cold so we didn't have to endure your abysmal song with those abysmal lyrics.
Have to agree Jim (kind of?!?). Has the Thanksgiving spirit been worn out of too many people this week???

Bell Green....err some of us are here to learn, that means digging around in the basics tools and techniques for some time to come. Love to hear any constructive criticism as we want to get better. In the last 6 weeks if you look at the evolution of Bjam's three entries (with a littel help from me) she has gone from recording one mike in Windows, through to a simple guitar and vocal to (me primarily) playing with the sequencer tools...we're trying to get better!. But all the way through the emphasis has been on the "song" writing and development rather than technique.

I hope that our technique gets much better but for now, I enjoy listening to everyone's entries, some more than others, but all the way trying to learn.

So chill out guys and let's remember we all are here cos we want to enjoy the muse whatever form it takes and love the challenge of the "fight"

:-)
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Bell Green wrote:When you take the synth out of the box, you can press the buttons to try out the presets - but don't make a song out of it.
I've been working on an 8 hour opera using only the 'Demonstration' buttons on various models of Casios. I suffer for my art - now it's your turn.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Caravan Ray wrote:I suffer for my art - now it's your turn.
My new favorite SF quote. :mrgreen:
Let cake eat them.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

for failure to be able to listen to most of these songs fully... really huge sample fight

i shall name the top 5
5.bjam
4.carolcleveland
3.lesdipthongs
2.wreckdom (this is the closest i've ever gotten to voting wreckdom... and that's bad)
1.jimofseattle (at first i wasn't happy with the lyrics, kinda grew on me... and the music itself... just made my mouth drop... very stunning... \m/)
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Poor June wrote:this is the closest i've ever gotten to voting wreckdom... and that's bad
why is that bad? wreckdom often come up with some pretty interesting stuff. i know i have voted for them at least once...
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

So, if Nil loses this fight? Are they technically still undefeated since they initially won this fight?

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

a b c d reviews

bjam! - your voice sounds really great -- you sound older (or possibly more mature?) than you are (er, at least than how old i seem to recall reading you being). the bass is ickily fake, but beyond that, a well-written, well-executed tune. love the contrasting point of view between the two different sections.

caravan ray - if the synthesised voice was restricted to the intro (i.e. "a b c d puppy puppy puppy puppy" and then the song starts) it would be a pretty cool thing. as it is, it gets pretty old. the music is good but not great, and having the synth vox thing which gets tiring over top of it, the song averages out to kind of meh.

carol cleveland sings - it had occurred to me that one interpretation of this title could be an alphabetical list of various breeds of dogs -- like a ton of different ones -- over some crappy techno music or something. but i immediately discarded that idea because it would be stupid. but you've taken the concept of an alphabetical list of dogs and made an actual song about it. and a cute song to boot. i like.

giant robot counterattack - it's like a rock version of a weezer song. pretty cool. dig the "giant robot attack" section and the la-las especially.

the jazz - the blippy boopy music is neat but all the barking is sort of annoying.

jim of seattle - the singing reminds me of englebert humperdink for some reason. aweome nonsense lyrics. or maybe they aren't nonsense -- probably there is some kind of meaning behind them, but it totally escapes me. but i like that fact.

joshua and lorrie - the guitar sounds painfully out of tune, and the singing isn't quite top-notch either. not a bad attempt though.

les dipthongs - i like the really reverby singing and the contrast between the happy organ sound and the melancholy vocals. musically this reminds me a little bit of that damon albarn song at the end of trainspotting (the james bond song). more barking, but you didn't totally overdo it like the jazz did...

nihilistic care bear - really short and i didn't really hear anything that happened during this song. it all seemed kind of mushed together.

nil - you are a songfight! deity. that is all.

prickly pears - what the hell are you saying?

roymond - really ummmm interesting. the guitar is kind of bland vanilla rock stuff, but then you've got this weird industrial intro and background. a pretty cool conglomerate of sounds, overall.

vanilla dragon - more gratuitous overuse of barking noises... except this one is a bunch longer.

wreckdom - lyrically this works so great for the title. because reading "A B C D Puppies" it makes me think of someone who totally has ADD or something, and jumping back and forth between random thoughts. nicely nicely done.

-----------------------------------
the old songs:
if i was voting the first time around, i would really have a tough time choosing between nil and giant robot because they are both such great songs. "giant robot attack!!!" and "what are you saying? ... shut up!!" both are really awesome. but ultimately i think i would lean towards nil simply for the kick-ass bassline. however, even though the fightmasters basically re-submitted these songs, due to the fact that they've already been voted on (and though they were written within one week--or however long it happened to be at that time--it wasn't THIS week) makes me disinclined to vote for any of these.
-----------------------------------
the new songs:
my top five would be (5) carol cleveland sings (4) les dipthongs (3) wreckdom (2) bjam! (1) jim of seattle.
Last edited by Eric Y. on Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Jim of Seattle wrote: Dick.

Ouch! Guess I shouldn't do any reviews when I have a cold either.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?