original hxaro definition ???

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
king_arthur
Grok
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

original hxaro definition ???

Post by king_arthur »

I'm working on a paper for school, and I need to find the text of the original posting that was made to the old message boards describing the original meaning of the term "hxaro." I thought it had been reposted on the new boards, but I can't find it...

If somebody has it saved off somewhere, could they PM me or post it here? Thanks...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Mogosagatai
Mixtral

Post by Mogosagatai »

Taken from <a href="http://www.worldlymag.com/printsection. ... 4">here</a>:

"Hxaro exchange is a form of generalized reciprocity (giving and receiving) where people from the each band will have Hxaro, or exchange, partners in other bands with whom they will give gifts. Now you may think, “how is this any different than bartering?â€
king_arthur
Grok

Post by king_arthur »

Thank you!

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Niveous
Gemini
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Hey Charles, what's the paper about?

As the person who brought hxaro to Songfight, I'm very curious.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
thegiantsnail
A New Player

Post by thegiantsnail »

Niveous wrote:Hey Charles, what's the paper about?

As the person who brought hxaro to Songfight, I'm very curious.
j00 r teh 733+ }{><4Rz?
king_arthur
Grok

Post by king_arthur »

I'm taking this class on the "Avant Garde in Art, pre-WW2," and I'm doing a comparison of some of the early art movements - Futurism, Dada, Surrealism, Cubism - to songfight. They wrote manifestos, we have the FAQ. They had Guillaume Apollinaire, we have Marcus Kellis. They set up art exhibitions, songfight hosts songs. They published magazines, we discuss stuff to death in the forums. So forth & so on...

The reference to "hxaro" came up in the context of the original Surrealist manifesto (1924) in which Andre Breton admitted that he wasn't using the word "surrealist" in quite the way Apollinaire intended it when he coined the term (1917), but just said, "well, this is what it means to us." So I described how the term "hxaro" morphed from "exchanging gifts of disparate value" to "covering each others' songs."

By the by... for one of my other classes, I'm working on setting (modified translations of) sixteen of Apollinaire's poems to music, to create sort of a "concept album." I just today finished doing a rough demo of the last of the songs, a project which has been keeping me busy for the last couple weeks :-) Once I've made sure I have the right songs in the right order, I may post lo-fi .mp3 files and ask if any songfighters would be willing to listen to the whole thing (about 45 minutes of music) and give me some high-level comments to consider for the next round of revisions.

Charles
Egg
Mixtral
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

king_arthur wrote:By the by... for one of my other classes, I'm working on setting (modified translations of) sixteen of Apollinaire's poems to music, to create sort of a "concept album." I just today finished doing a rough demo of the last of the songs, a project which has been keeping me busy for the last couple weeks :-) Once I've made sure I have the right songs in the right order, I may post lo-fi .mp3 files and ask if any songfighters would be willing to listen to the whole thing (about 45 minutes of music) and give me some high-level comments to consider for the next round of revisions.

Charles
Awesome?! This is one of the things I least expected to see King Arthur post about when I was evaluating all the things I expected to see him post about the other day. I'd love to hear this.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
king_arthur
Grok

Post by king_arthur »

People actually sit around thinking about what they think I might post about on the songfight boards??? This is getting weird...

I'm going to need to clear some space on my site to make room to put this stuff up, but I'll work on it.

Charles
king_arthur
Grok

Post by king_arthur »

Okay, lo-fi .mp3 files and lyric pages and stuff have been posted to:

http://www.charleswolff.com/MARIE/index.html

There is about 45 minutes of music altogether, and at this point, I'm most interested in comments from people who will listen to the whole thing and suggest ways to improve the way it works as a whole, rather than specific song reviews. Any comments at all will be appreciated, though.

Thanks!
Charles
Mostess
Claude
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

king_arthur wrote:People actually sit around thinking about what they think I might post about on the songfight boards??? This is getting weird...
I knew you were going to say that.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Mostess wrote:
king_arthur wrote:People actually sit around thinking about what they think I might post about on the songfight boards??? This is getting weird...
I thought he was going to say something else.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

thought?

I didn't do any of this 'thought' at all.
LMNOP
Alpaca

Post by LMNOP »

jb wrote:
Mostess wrote:
I thought he was going to say something else.
I said something else. Perhaps you were thinking of me thinking of KA.
king_arthur
Grok

Post by king_arthur »

I actually was going to say something else.

But then I thought about it.

Charles (KA)
fodroy
Grok
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i think king arthur will end his next post with his name, charles.

actually, he may choose to omit his name just to prove me wrong. or will he? i haven't stated my opinion, only possibilities. therefore, i have done my part in thinking about what king arthur will post next.
jack
Stable Diffusion
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

this seems to be the thinking mans thread.
Hi!
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

fodroy wrote:i think king arthur will end his next post with his name, charles. ... i haven't stated my opinion, only possibilities. therefore, i have done my part in thinking about what king arthur will post next.
You have stated your opinion, namely that "king arthur will end his next post with his name" - just because you quantify it doesn't make it any less of an opinion. More so, in fact :p
fodroy
Grok

Post by fodroy »

those are my opinionS of possibilities. other possibilities would include king arthur posting nude pictures of his outgoing neighbors and ending the post with his predictions of where this argument will lead, mainly when and how we predict he will die. so in summary, he might post his predictions of our predictions of his death.

i predict october 17th, 2023. charles will be making toast while he takes a bath. the toaster will fall into tub because his dog runs into the table while trying to kill a mouse.
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

for the love of all that is good and holy, give us a stream all link!

[edit] ha ha, "senior" project indeed. :D
Mogosagatai
Mixtral

Post by Mogosagatai »

fodroy wrote:i predict october 17th, 2023. charles will be making toast while he takes a bath. the toaster will fall into tub because his dog runs into the table while trying to kill a mouse.
On October 28, 2023, that same mouse will be caught by fodroy, who by that point has deeply immersed himself into ritualistic Satanism, for the purposes of creating a certain stew which will be used in fodroy's upcoming 6th Annual Halloween Convocation. The bad karma that has collected around that mouse (for indirectly causing KA's death) brings enough bad charm into the ritual that it actually succeeds this time--the Dark Lord himself rises up from the pentacle-of-blood in fodroy's basement, along with a veritable horde of demons. A horrific series and brutal rapes and murders follows, during which thirteen current songfighters' lives are lost. Ironically, fodroy is not among the slain, although he's never able to speak, walk, or poop like a human again.

jack wrote:this seems to be the thinking mans thread.
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

Mogosagatai wrote:
fodroy wrote:i predict october 17th, 2023. charles will be making toast while he takes a bath. the toaster will fall into tub because his dog runs into the table while trying to kill a mouse.
On October 28, 2023, that same mouse will be caught by fodroy, who by that point has deeply immersed himself into ritualistic Satanism, for the purposes of creating a certain stew which will be used in fodroy's upcoming 6th Annual Halloween Convocation. The bad karma that has collected around that mouse (for indirectly causing KA's death) brings enough bad charm into the ritual that it actually succeeds this time--the Dark Lord himself rises up from the pentacle-of-blood in fodroy's basement, along with a veritable horde of demons. A horrific series and brutal rapes and murders follows, during which thirteen current songfighters' lives are lost. Ironically, fodroy is not among the slain, although he's never able to speak, walk, or poop like a human again.

jack wrote:this seems to be the thinking mans thread.
that happened to me once.
fodroy
Grok

Post by fodroy »

Mogosagatai wrote:
who said i can poop like a human?