mp3 players for dummies

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
LMNOP
Alpaca

mp3 players for dummies

Post by LMNOP »

Little help, please.

So I'm looking at mp3 players and I don't have a great need for one but, you know, there's a ton of them out there for pretty cheap so maybe we need one for workout music or somesuch (and, hey, I'm up to a grand total of zero Christmas gifts bought for the missus so far). However, I haven't had a home computer go belly up in a while and they still do what I need them to do so I'm working on Windows98.

Questions:

1) Any ad that has any amount of detail says that W2000SE is a minimum requirement. If I just want to take mp3's from a computer to the player, is that true? I mean, is the player completely useless if I can't use their software?

2) Few ads mention shuffle. Is that because it's a rare function or such a common feature that it doesn't need to be mentioned?

3) Answers to the above notwithstanding, let's assume I still want one. Recommendations? Brands to avoid? I guess I have it in my head that I can get a 1G for like $150 or less. And I want it to shuffle.

Thanks,
Paul
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i think shuffle's pretty darn expected.
if you don't mind mechanical parts, you can get a cd diskman that plays mp3s. that requires only cd burning software... mine is called "soul".
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Adam!
Grok
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Re: mp3 players for dummies

Post by Adam! »

If you're looking at an iPod variety mp3 player you'll have to install iTunes to use it (easily), so yeah, you're probably going to need a newer OS than 98. If you can run iTunes now, then you'll be fine.

I like my Creative MuVo TxFm, which comes in a 1 Gig flavor and can almost definitely be had for under $150.

All new MP3 players will shuffle, except for the iPod Shuffle. That one doesn't.
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

both apple and sony require crappy programs to get your music onto the player, and won't allow you to just drag songs on and listen to them.

really annoying.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

LONG RAMBLE YOU SHOULD PROBABLY SKIP IF YOU JUST WANT A <a href="#shut-up-fluffy">SIMPLE ANSWER</a>

You can drag songs directly to a mounted iPod in iTunes, at least on the Mac. (You drag the song to the iPod's playlist entry, not to the drive itself.)

I personally like iPod the best. Its interface used to be kind of bland but was still better than all the others, and it's always improving with every firmware update (which happens every few months), and the current user interface on my 3G iPod is rather different (and much better) than the one it came with. It's also the only portable mp3 interface I can stand, personally.

Unfortunately, iTunes for Windows is pretty assy. (The Mac version is a lot better; iTunes is very much designed for Mac, and it doesn't translate to Windows very well.) There's third-party things which can load stuff onto an iPod though, like MusicMatch or a few opensource apps, but if you just want a simple plain-jane mp3 player, just get any of the standard flash-based players which come in boxes of cereal or whatever. iRiver ones are apparently very good, but really most of them are pretty much the same except iPod and the various Creative Labs things, which I hate since their user interface is like a bizarro-universe version of the iPod.

gizmodo.com often posts about every new portable mp3 player on the market, usually in the <a href="http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/">portable media</a> tag.

Also, most of them don't require Windows 2000 (BTW there's no such thing as 2000 SE) to load music on unless you want to use their playlist manager. If you just want to put mp3s on you can usually just use the player like an external drive.

<a name="shut-up-fluffy"></a>SIMPLE ANSWER

But yeah, like, if you don't want to upgrade your system past Win'98, just get whatever cheap flash-based player has enough storage to hold all the music you want to listen to at any given time.
deshead
Claude

Post by deshead »

LMNOP wrote:Any ad that has any amount of detail says that W2000SE is a minimum requirement. If I just want to take mp3's from a computer to the player, is that true? I mean, is the player completely useless if I can't use their software?
I'd be wary of companies that publish "Windows 2000 SE" as a requirement, 'cause as fluffy mentioned, there's no such thing.

They problably mean Windows 98 SE ... And yes, it is an absolute requirement, regardless of which software you use, because earlier versions of Windows don't have proper USB support.
LMNOP wrote:Answers to the above notwithstanding, let's assume I still want one. Recommendations? Brands to avoid? I guess I have it in my head that I can get a 1G for like $150 or less.
I'll second Puce's recommendation of the MuVo. I love mine (1Gb unit.)

That said, anyone I know who owns an iPod (proper, not shuffle,) wouldn't trade it for anything, even the Windows users.
boltoph
Claude
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

deshead wrote:anyone I know who owns an iPod (proper, not shuffle,) wouldn't trade it for anything, even the Windows users.
Yeah man! That's right. I got a 20GB iPod comin' my way. The fat one. Eff that skinny thing. I bet the skinny one breaks within two years of purchase.
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I have totally given in to iTunes. I let it organize, rename, whatever. I import songs I download from other sources, and just let it do what it does. And I'm happy with that, because I don't have to think about it.

It's not perfect, and there are a couple things I want them to fix, but for the most part I enjoy its simplicity and dependability (I find it to be both of those things).
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

fluffy wrote: You can drag songs directly to a mounted iPod in iTunes, at least on the Mac. (You drag the song to the iPod's playlist entry, not to the drive itself.)
directly to itunes, but not directly to the device. i mean, you can, but they won't play, and that is freakin' annoying.
Calfborg
Alpaca

Post by Calfborg »

I use the iPod plugin for Winamp instead of iTunes. It's very nice.
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
Kamakura
Claude
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

I have a 500mb USB storage stick that doubles as an mp3 player, audio recorder and FM radio. It cost £25 which is I guess about $35 or so. It's great and has never let me down: Yet. It doesn't shuffle.
Who really needs shuffle? An album should be listened to in track order, otherwise it's not an album; just a haphazard collection of songs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i'm annoyed at itunes in the pc, because it steals my wav files and won't let me tell it not to.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas