I can't hear you (Too Far Away reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

I can't hear you (Too Far Away reviews)

Post by Spud »

So, you might have to yell your reviews a little louder this week.
Last edited by Spud on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Okay, if I have even one person say my track this week sounds like just a load of samples stuck together I'll find them and i will cut them. :evil: :evil: :twisted:
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Your track sounds like a load of samples stuck together.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, OG Lawn Darts, Slither, Slickitude

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Furrypedro wrote:Okay, if I have even one person say my track this week sounds like just a load of samples stuck together I'll find them and i will cut them.
Yea! Cut 'em up into pieces just like a bunch of ... samples. (I actually have no problem with samples.)
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

well, you're laughing now. but all i have to do is:
-find out where you live
-get enough money for a plane ticket
-find some way of getting a knife thru customs
-I'm losing interest in this plan.........

but trust me......you are sooooo dead
smalltown mike wrote:(I actually have no problem with samples.)
that is a shame cos I didn't use any :cry:
JeffHenderson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by JeffHenderson »

Al Gore Band - Altogether WTF? But I appreciated the whistling and some points it reminded me of You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) by the Beatles. D+

The Anchors - Not bad, high energy. B

Anti-M - I like the guitar picking thing that goes on at the beginning and the flute thing. B-

Bell Green - I actually think this is a well-written song and kind of has a Lennonish feel, but the production really takes away from that. The vocals and harmonies aren't very good, the timing was pretty awkward, and the synth violin doesn't help. Could be a really good song if those things were tightened up just a bit. B

Dark Liberty - Apart from the quiet mix and the singing in the chorus, it's pretty catchy and enjoyable. B-

DJ3XHC - Totally not my style, but altogether it seems pretty tight and well done. It holds interest pretty well. B-

Doscientos - Pretty fun, I kind of dig. B

Eclectic Spoons - I don't get it. D+

Eight Legged Oedipus - Very White Stripes. Could have used a guitar solo or change of pace or something. B-

Freddielove - Totally not my kind of thing. C-

Hostess Mostess - For some reason it sounds familiar, but often it seems that way if it's just catchy. A-

Klownhole - This normally isn't my style, but I can appreciate it. B

Manhattan Glutton - The intentionally unharmonic thing works for some of it, but I would switch it up a bit. B-

Melvin - Cool stuff, might get my vote. A

Noah McLaughlin - Strange. Sounds good for a while at 1:40, but mostly strange. C+

Pig Pen - This one is tough because I simultaneously like and dislike most of the elements in here. B-

Posyden - I don't know C+

Rone Rivendale - A Frank Sinatra cover. C-

Smalltown Mike - I like. Another possible vote. A

Steven Durand - Nice horns. B

Steve Gamble - This one's pretty strong, nice harmonica. B+

Thornberry - Not bad B+

Those Meddling Kids I'm nodding my head, but I don't really understand. C+

The Zero Effect Two for the price of one. B-
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

JeffHenderson wrote:This one is tough because I simultaneously like and dislike most of the elements in here. B-
Well.....yeah.......i guess thats better than nothing. =_O
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Aw SHIT. I slept through the deadline. I haven't been feeling so good, but I uh... I sent it in anyway and maybe fightmaster will rain down pity on me? It's a pretty good entry I do believe.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

oh no mr. henley :(

i almost did the same thing. i submitted my song at 2:24 this morning
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Holy crap! Reviewing thsi fight has become a daunting task... but I shall.
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
posyden
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by posyden »

I almost missed the deadline too..I submitted my song around 11 am est(which would be 8 am songfight)
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Me too.....i guess everyone took on the optional challenge.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i never got a username and password for cover art, so here's my unsubmitted cover.

a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

The Al Gore Band - this is kind of interesting. The two semi-deranged voices singing essentially nonsensical lyrics in unison/competition is pretty neat. I don't really know why I like this but it seems to have a nice musical core with that guitar. It sounds vaguely Debussian around 1:45 and thereafter for a while, I like it. I wouldn't say this is likely to get my vote but it's neat.

The Anchors - I really like your vocals, and the guitar part that starts up just before :40. I don't really care for the breakdown, it feels like it loses a bit of energy. Not much else to say, I'll reiterate that I like your delivery a lot.

Anti-m - I've mentioned before that I like your voice and your vocal range a lot. This song is really fitting into a groove here. Thanks for changing up the chord structure around 1:30. I like it some.

Bell Green - those synth string pads are a nice idea but annoyingly implemented, because (1) they sound cheap and the rest of the song doesn't and (2) your guitar rhythm isn't solid so there are pretty obvious breaks between pad chords. The guitar sounds nice though. I don't particularly care for your voice, though the delivery works pretty well here. Your lyrics aren't exactly painful, but they're nothing particularly original.

Jonas Murdock/fetus - that guitar shows some promise for the song. I guess the voice is mixed low on purpose? Everything else in the song is just really bright and it covers up your vocals completely. I like the sound of this but the almost-falling-apart rhythms aren't doing it for me here. It doesn't sound edgy or anything, just annoying. Anyway, nice-sounding little song.

Dark Liberty - I IV I V I IV I VII, etc, etc, and on, and on. There's very little breaking up the monotony of that chord progression, especially as I'm just tuning out those vocals. Guitar solo is alright, I suppose.

DJ3XHC - Nice noises, a fine grungy, industrial, danceable effort. It'd be cool (or not out of place anyway) hearing this at a club but it doesn't particularly grab my attention. By the way, don't worry about censoring yourself.

Doscientos - Shuffle shuffle shuffle, not my thing, again. Sounds like you guys are having fun anyway.

Eclectic Spoons - I can't tell what you're saying at all, whatever, and the noises just aren't carrying the day.

Eight Legged Oedipus - This one doesn't pass the skipping-around-randomly test. Which is to say I dropped the needle at like 10 spots in the song and it all sounds the same.

Freddielove - I like this one against my better judgement. I guess that's auto-tuned? It's cool, I welcome our new auto-tuner overlords, sometimes, and this kind of thing is one of those times. It just works. And I like the groovy guitar that sneaks in there around 2:35, and then the rhythmic interest at the end. Just solid synth-pop, I like.

Hostess Mostess - I like this more than I like Billy Joel, which is to say I like it some. You have a good voice for sure, although it's a bit over-the-top for me.

Klownhole - I think I've avoided saying it until now, but man... I just really don't like your voice. Just wayyy overdone and faux-serious for my taste. I mean I guess it's ironic, or something, or what? I don't like it anyway. Your super-metal noises are always neat though.

Luke Henley - This is really neat, Luke. I like the vibrato, and the vocal jumps, and the jazzass drums a lot. And the tinkly piano stuff. Man, there's no part of this song that I don't like. Ok, nevermind, I went back and found one: the line "before I can kiss you" doesn't do it for me. It took some searching, anyway. Great ending.

Manhattan Glutton - Your voice is pretty lifeless. And you change chords, what, like twice?

Melvin - These lyrics are just pretty retarded, they don't sound honest at all. "Took a side of beef"? I don't like. Good job on another solid catchy pop-punk-emo song though.

Noah McLaughlin - This doesn't fall together well at all. The rhythm is haphazard and way off through lots of the song.

Pigpen - There seems to be a bit of lyrical confusion here. Also, that piano solo sounds really disjointed. It probably didn't need to go on for like a minute.

Posyden - Your soundscapes are pretty involved, I like 'em. You don't rap very rhythmically or convincingly, and I don't like your lyrics. Does it cut off in the middle of the song?

Rone Rivendale - Try some new stuff, Rone. Discover effects, melodies, software synthesizers, vocoders, something. This is just the same annoying 30-second thing three times in a row with barely changed lyrics.

Smalltown Mike - I like the way you're strutting your stuff. Attitude, motherfucka. You could stand to have a little more going on musically during the breaks between the sung sections. Ultimately it just kinda lasts too long for me.

Steven Durand - Not doing it for me at all.

Steve Gamble - I like the harmonica. I don't like the I-IV-V-I guitar. There's a lot more guitar than harmonica.

Thornberry - Rhythm's a bit weak. Bluesy solo, check. Don't care for the lyrics. Sounds decent, but you need a bridge or something.

Those Meddling Kids - Your voice always annoys me a little bit, and this song is no exception, but I absolutely love this song anyway. It's reminding me of Aphex Twin and the Flaming Lips at the same time. I love your rhythmic feel. I love the cheap-ass synthesizer sound here, it works so well and it's just lovely. I figured you'd end around 2:10 but you've saved the best minute and a half for last. This stuff is seriously thick and beautiful and I love it.

The Zero Effect - The breakdown into the acoustic guitar bit feels pretty awkward, it just seems to gracelessly fall apart and start a new song. And then start back up again.

TMK makes the decision tough but Luke gets my vote. Nobody else was particularly close. I guess Anti-m and Freddielove would be in my second tier.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

The fight is so big, I’m going to stick to one-sentence reviews this week.

Al Gore Band: You finally lost the election fair and square.

Anchors: Good in theory, so-so in execution.

Anti-m: Nice voice, sweet percussion, great xylophone, yet the song seems somehow less than the sum of its parts.

Bell Green: You really can’t drop a partial beat every few bars without ruining the song.

Jonas Murdock and The Child Inside: Despite the rough edges, this has nice warmth and I like it.

Dark Liberty: A great way to improve your singing is to define the vocal melody by playing it on a guitar or keyboard, then practice singing along with it.

DJ3XHC: Damn, I forgot my syringe in my other leather pants again!

Doscientos: If I had a gun in my boot and murder on my mind, this would put me right in a Tarintino movie.

Eclectic Spoons: I can’t find anything to like about this.

Eight Legged Oedipus: This might be my favourite so far – well done!

Freddie Love: This is smooth and pretty likable, except for the Cher-ish Auto-tune artifacts.

Hostess Mostess: I love your singing, and this tune has a really classy, old-school pop songwriting quality, which may be why it also feels a bit familiar.

Klownhole: Sounds like you decided to take a break from just kicking my ass to conduct some kind of dark ritual over my twitching carcass, which is fine by me.

Luke Henley: This is awesome.

Manhattan Glutton: Best power slide intro of 2006, but unfortunately, it seems to have stunned the rest of the band into silence.

Melvin: The lyrics aren’t about my life, the swearwords are unnecessary, and the tempo should be faster, fuck you.

Noah McLaughlin: Which knob do I turn to make my recordings this loud?

Pigpen: I dig your casual charm, but try the advice I gave Dark Liberty to help tighten up your vocals.

Posyden: For rap to be good, a decent flow is probably even more important than decent lyrics.

Rone Rivendale: You’re still the best of the worst around here.

Smalltown Mike: Great vocals and lyrics, but not too sure about the “soulâ€
hi!
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

melvin wrote:Which knob do I turn to make my recordings this loud?
to let you in a on a dirty secret: you clip it. yup, that bass is doubled (most of the time), and clipping like mad. but it's so effected-out that you can't tell (or well, maybe some folks can.) same goes for the guitars: clip, clip, clip. but somehow it doesn't sound shitty.

i just use kristal and use the built-in full compression on the whole mix. it seems to have solved my own quiet-mix problem.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Damien Verrett (Jonas)
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Damien Verrett (Jonas) »

Jonas Murdock/fetus - that guitar shows some promise for the song. I guess the voice is mixed low on purpose? Everything else in the song is just really bright and it covers up your vocals completely. I like the sound of this but the almost-falling-apart rhythms aren't doing it for me here. It doesn't sound edgy or anything, just annoying. Anyway, nice-sounding little song.
LOL

Fetus?
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I started reviewing these songs...but I'm too wasted to do that. Trust me. You want me to wait.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

melvin wrote:I dig your casual charm, but try the advice I gave Dark Liberty to help tighten up your vocals.
Its actually the second version of the song, in the first version the lyrics and music matched up exactly but i didnt like it as much so i went for simpler.
Rone Rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Computer and Electric Guitar
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by Rone Rivendale »

Melvin wrote
Rone Rivendale: You’re still the best of the worst around here
I'll take it! :D
posyden
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by posyden »

I noticed some comments on the flow of my song this week....I know it's chopped up and weird..I did this on purpose, I thought it would add more to the lyrics...since the lyrics tell a tory in 3 different parts....I chopped up the flow in 3 different parts

if you check back on some of my other work...like Iron goddess of Mercy (which I did with Rone Rivendale under the name Destruction Enterprise)
or my where did the love go..you'll notice more of a flow there.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, OG Lawn Darts, Slither, Slickitude

Post by Smalltown Mike »

I think I have to go the one or two sentence route on this too—which means they may seem unnecessarily blunt.

eclectic spoons
What I thought was a long intro turned out to be the whole song. This really went nowhere.

al gore band
There’s not really a lot of time for a song like this in such a huge fight.

anti-m
i like the groove a lot. The vocals sound like you’re not 100% committed, if that makes sense. It loses me a little on the chorus.

bell green
Your vocals seem to really warble at time, like it’s an old tape. There really isn’t enough to grab me.

dark liberty
For some reason, I get a kick out of dark liberty. Part of that is that he’s never posted—so we never get to hear him bitch and moan. This gets a little repetitive, though—I like the chorus.

dj3xhc
This would work better with more lyrics—becaus it goes nowhere as is.

doscientos
this is so long, and is pretty much the same thing throughout. I think it would work way better at about 2 minutes.

8LO
I find the guitar overpowering; it obscures your vocals, which are usually such a high point of your songs.

freddielove
I like this way better after the drums kick in—I was pretty nervous at first. Groovy happy song.

hostess mostess
I keep expecting you to break into Walking in Memphis, or whatever that song is called. This is really not my thing.

jonas murdock and ...
Your vocals are really muddy and mumbly, hard to hear, and variety is needed.

luke henley
this is interesting, for sure. I always find the background noises in your songs distracting, but this is pretty good.

klownhole
It’s always your vocals that throw me off, but this time especially I get the feeling the lyrics are being read off the paper in front of you for the first time. I need some screaming.

manhattan glutton
great beginning. I really hope some drums kick in, but I don’t have a good feeling about that. This is OK, but it needs drums and bass that it hurts.

noah mclaughlin
It really sounds like a bunch of instruments playing unaware of each other. I don’t see that they all go together.

posyden
you need some power behind your vocals, they’re very mumbly and hard to hear. Commit and bark it out.

steve gamble
This has got a lot of charm and I bet it’s a lot of fun to play at a party. Nice work.

steven durand
I always like your horns. Your vocals aren’t as strong as they’ve been in other tunes, and the music seems a little jumbled. Your horns would sound great in a reggae tune.

those meddling kids
Your vocals need to be louder. That tabla or whatever it is in my right ear is driving me nuts, but I like the vocals—very 80s. Aaaah ... that tabla is going to kill me. Neat stuff going on otherwise.

zero effect
I wish the playing was a bit tighter—still noisy, just tighter. I don’t like the break down at about :49. get noisy again.

the anchors
I think the vocals could stand be a little cleaner (recording wise), but this is some cool stuff. Nice and noisy. Like it. That beat doesn’t really work for me, but overall I dig this. I look forward to hearing more.

melvin
Love the verses—took a side of beef is great. Oh my, you just said motherfucker. Your stuff is always better than what I hear on the radio, but this one really rocks me. I always love your gtr tone. Heavy without being Slayer. You have a real potty mouth, though.

rone rivendale
dig the beat. The music is quite grating, and I think your vocals are still not there. Keep doing (basically) what you’re doing, but, uh, get better.

thornberry
Great intro. The verses seem a little disjointed, but the choruses work well. Dig the solo.

Pigpen (I think)
You’ve got to get rid of that hiss in your vocal recordings, because I can tell when your mic is off. I like this better than your raps.

smalltown mike
me. I had a lot of fun doing this one. My goal was to write the most 1970s classic rock groove I could.

That foul-mouthed Melvin can have my vote.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.