I need a singer for an entire album!

Organize yourselfs.
Cody
A New Player

I need a singer for an entire album!

Post by Cody »

http://cody.purplemonkeys.net/SunStorm%20-%20Lie/

The URL above has all the songs and word files for the songs that need lyrics. It's to the point now where I don't even care how it's sang, I just need help getting the lyrics on there.

Could anybody help and throw on their own interpritation of the lyrics?
Stolar Skye
A New Player

Post by Stolar Skye »

I think I could try to help you out. Toss me an pm or e-mail me at i.stolarsky at gmail.com. You can take a listen to my stuff on songfight, but I've also gotten alot more training since then, so it's not neccesarily completely representative.
Cody
A New Player

Post by Cody »

Stolar Skye wrote:I think I could try to help you out. Toss me an pm or e-mail me at i.stolarsky at gmail.com. You can take a listen to my stuff on songfight, but I've also gotten alot more training since then, so it's not neccesarily completely representative.
Thanks man!
king_arthur
Grok
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

http://www.charleswolff.com/SL/01overflow.mp3

Lo-fi, and I think there's a little glitch about :08, but let us know what about this is or isn't what you're looking for...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
king_arthur
Grok
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

Cody -

Just wanted to find out what your intentions are regarding "co-writer" credit on these songs.

Your original request was for a "singer," but, since you only provided lyrics and a chord pattern, the "singer" is also creating the melody for the song. According to the copyright office, the two main copyrightable elements of a song are the words and melody... and, especially since this stuff is not simple, straightforward, I guess I feel like what I did on "Overflow" would entitle me to a co-writer credit.

(Basically, what "co-writer" credit means here is that you'd list me as one of the writers of the song, and if you ever get any songwriter's royalties for these songs, you'd owe me a share.)

If you had provided a rough version of the melody and were just looking for a better singer to re-record the vocals, that would be different. In this case, the singer has to work out the melody (and if the rest of the music is like "Overflow," that's a big task).

Anybody else around here have opinions on this? Based on what was provided (a .mp3 of drum/keyboard part and a lyric file), is co-writer credit in order for the "singer"? (That's why I'm posting this instead of just PM'ing you about it, others may be interested, too).

This is not to say I'll bail on the project if you plan to keep the writing credit all to yourself, but I wanted to know what your feelings are...

Thanks,
Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Cody
A New Player

Post by Cody »

king_arthur wrote:Cody -

Just wanted to find out what your intentions are regarding "co-writer" credit on these songs.

Your original request was for a "singer," but, since you only provided lyrics and a chord pattern, the "singer" is also creating the melody for the song. According to the copyright office, the two main copyrightable elements of a song are the words and melody... and, especially since this stuff is not simple, straightforward, I guess I feel like what I did on "Overflow" would entitle me to a co-writer credit.

(Basically, what "co-writer" credit means here is that you'd list me as one of the writers of the song, and if you ever get any songwriter's royalties for these songs, you'd owe me a share.)

If you had provided a rough version of the melody and were just looking for a better singer to re-record the vocals, that would be different. In this case, the singer has to work out the melody (and if the rest of the music is like "Overflow," that's a big task).

Anybody else around here have opinions on this? Based on what was provided (a .mp3 of drum/keyboard part and a lyric file), is co-writer credit in order for the "singer"? (That's why I'm posting this instead of just PM'ing you about it, others may be interested, too).

This is not to say I'll bail on the project if you plan to keep the writing credit all to yourself, but I wanted to know what your feelings are...

Thanks,
Charles

If this is the version I choose to use, then you can have cowriting credits.
Kamakura is also doing this song, and I do like his, I like yours too, though.
I like the guitar pattern you put on there more than the vocal pattern.
But, is there anybody else that wants to do a track?
Denyer
Grok
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

put up the lyric for track 12 and I'll give it a go.
Kamakura
Claude
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

I'll have a shot at 'Where is my Muse today' and 'Conflicted', provided no one else is dibs in for them. I don't want to tread on any toes :wink:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com