Gritty Kitty Litter (Bad Cat reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Tarsier
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Gritty Kitty Litter (Bad Cat reviews)

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

no sir... i dont like it.
User avatar
fluffy
Howler
Posts: 10107
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Post by fluffy »

Tell us what you really think.
j$
Gorilla
Posts: 5111
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Post by j$ »

Hey, Le Chic Sonique, why your song so short? I really like what you had going on. Did you run out of english-french dictionary? :)
Lester Bangs is still dead.
starfinger
Galago
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:07 pm
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger
Contact:

Post by starfinger »

this is a great fight!
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Tarsier
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

i love max the cat's take on bad cat. great lyrics.
tonetripper
Capuchin
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:58 am
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by tonetripper »

.... bad cat spilled the milk and ended up with a broom handle up it's ass.....


hahahahaha..... that's some funny shit MC Milk.
Image
Milk +
A New Player
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:30 am
Location: London

Post by Milk + »

tonetripper wrote:.... bad cat spilled the milk and ended up with a broom handle up it's ass.....


hahahahaha..... that's some funny shit MC Milk.
PuurrrRRRRrrrr x
max the cat
Tarsier
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

Post by max the cat »

Le Chic Sonique Mon dieu! Two cats are on sort of the same wavelength(Regard le chanson de Max Le Chat) Nice squeeze box, good tune a tad short.

Luke Henley I was forced to check out other Henley entries to see if I was listening to what I call, “a work of deconstructionâ€
j$
Gorilla
Posts: 5111
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Post by j$ »

max the cat wrote:Dollar Bill ... Voice sounds like the singer on the Melodyne demo.
Before or after? :)

I posted the words in the archive for ya.
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Tarsier
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

max the cat wrote: Ned Plimpton Orchestra I think the track is trying a little too hard. Somehow the rhythm doesn’t really swing like it could. I think things need to be simplified a bit. Obviously there is skill here but it feels somewhat self-conscious. I don’t mean it can’t be sophisticated just a few less notes.
mtc, you definitly hit the nail on the head, i dont typically write in this genre, so i was definitly trying way too hard to be that particular style. too many notes is the story of my life. i'll try to get a little simpler for next week's fight. my fatal flaw is definitly that i try to cram way to much into every tune. thanks a million.
User avatar
Paco Del Stinko
Lemur
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko
Location: Massachusetts. God save the Commonwealth!

Bad Cat - Reviews

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

This is my 6th review. I listened to each song twice yesterday, and again today while taking notes. I'll vote next week after many more listens.

Chin Music - This cat has an occasional werble in one knee but he's settled in nicely on the front porch.
DJ Big Dick f.Ryan - If you had this playing on headphones while in public and dancing to this, that would be cool. For you. I can't dance.
Dollar Bill And The Inkspots - The wet rhythm keeps itself from getting cold. Something high and dry might've sent my head soaring.
Gangsta From The Hood - I admit that I am a pussy so stop threatening me! Oh - wait. You did. But you could threaten me for another minute or so. I wouldn't mind.
Gert - Gert is big. Gert is strong. Gert punches you in the face! Me-fucking-OWW!!!
Johnny Cashpoints Evil Twin - Poor little feller. I actually feel for him a little bit.
Jonathan Mann - Great idea and arrangement. Could tighten in some spots and afford to loosen in others.
Ken Is Super Duper - It's nice to be in great shape and able to finish the race w/o breaking a sweat. Works like this or probably with a band also.
King Arthur - Fits in the convertable or on the dance floor of the local watering hole. Live, a succession of guitar players could take the stage, throughout the song, and take turns doing their best Bad Cat solos with audience yays or nays.
Klownhole - Loud n' scary. I'd like to see this devolve into one instrument as 'the cat.'
Le Chic Sonique - Some things are best left short and sweet, creating a longing. I don't want a whole box of bon-bons, but can't I have another little bite? A teeny little nibble?
Luke Henley - Clear your eyes from sleeping and remember this dream. Give it a spiffin' up.
Max The Cat - Correct and actual perceptions of real cats presented in a cruise through blue skied green terrains.
MC Milk Plus - I wish that I had a humongeous 'fro and could take a break from snazzin' the ladies to rip out a searing blast of gleeful Jimi.
Melvin - Nice arrangement lacking only perhaps a few strands or lines of color(s).
Ned Plimptom Orchestra - Great. Missing is the sound of light banter and the clinking of glass from the atmo. Heads would turn if Frank let loose a brief but borderline-reckless guitar solo. Yikes!
Sock Puppet - That pick scratch ping-pong thingy is the best. I like this one more than I should: It's kind of lonely.

I think that overall, this was the bloodiest fight. I enjoyed everything for something. (?) Paco will vote by secret ballot after many days and more review. I ruv you.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Meatwad
Marmoset
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Squidhole

Re: Bad Cat - Reviews

Post by Meatwad »

Paco Del Stinko wrote: Klownhole - Loud n' scary. I'd like to see this devolve into one instrument as 'the cat.'
Klownhole doesn't do concept pieces. If we did, all instrumentation representing individuals would devolve to a big fat down-tuned distorted bass. Before the obligatory punch in the neck, of course.
max the cat
Tarsier
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

Post by max the cat »

TheNedPlimptonOrchestra wrote:
max the cat wrote: Ned Plimpton Orchestra I think the track is trying a little too hard. Somehow the rhythm doesn’t really swing like it could. I think things need to be simplified a bit. Obviously there is skill here but it feels somewhat self-conscious. I don’t mean it can’t be sophisticated just a few less notes.
mtc, you definitly hit the nail on the head, i dont typically write in this genre, so i was definitly trying way too hard to be that particular style. too many notes is the story of my life. i'll try to get a little simpler for next week's fight. my fatal flaw is definitly that i try to cram way to much into every tune. thanks a million.
Well the good news is it's easier to take away from something than adding to nothing. I've crammed alot in my time and I'll probably cram some more.
max the cat
Tarsier
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

Post by max the cat »

j$ wrote:
max the cat wrote:Dollar Bill ... Voice sounds like the singer on the Melodyne demo.
Before or after? :)

I posted the words in the archive for ya.
after

Nice lyric sort of a twisted "Lets get away from it all"
With more time maybe syllables could have been chopped or added to really lay tight and smooth in that rhyme scheme. ( “hope the natives they don’t mind..â€
j$
Gorilla
Posts: 5111
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Post by j$ »

Invite to talk about my lyric? red rag, meet bull :)

I agree with you mainly, but I would disagree about frisky / risky, - a cat is discribed as being frisky, and it would be risky to be near a frisky lion. As for the chorus - it goes like this - the character lives in a Dog Eat Dog world, therefore he is nothin but a Poor Little Human because he wants to pretend he is a Cat, whereas that world, as beautiful as it appears, he could never be part of, therefore he would make a very bad cat. And indeed his 'Grizzly Man' style fate proves that view to be correct, within the song.

More time, always more time ... this is a first take hungover vocal as I was working the words Bill & I wrote, to fit them to a rhythm (the bass which I subsequently re-wrote, leaving a glimmer of the original as the quiet guitar under the second verse and chorus - waste not want not). A little reverb and a whole lot of phaser in the chorus..

j$
Lester Bangs is still dead.
max the cat
Tarsier
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

Post by max the cat »

j$ wrote:Invite to talk about my lyric? red rag, meet bull :)

As for the chorus - it goes like this - the character lives in a Dog Eat Dog world, therefore he is nothin but a Poor Little Human because he wants to pretend he is a Cat, whereas that world, as beautiful as it appears, he could never be part of, therefore he would make a very bad cat.
j$
I rest my case
User avatar
Leaf
Chimpanzee
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:19 pm
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.
Location: Campbell River, B.C.
Contact:

Post by Leaf »

Pre-review disclaimer: The author of these reviews may just be in an odd frame of mind. All reviews must contain a disclaimer, because they REALLY work. For example, I know now that Crates is not my friend. Sure, sure, I was sad…briefly… but I’ll get over it. Will you get over my review? First listen reviews…my fav.


KLOWNHOLE: You’re like Black Sabbath meets Pantera. I think it’s the mix and vocal style. You know what? This reminds me of going to the Cambridge Fall Fair when I was 15…with The Hip Cola actually… and there was this band there called “Earthâ€
Image
User avatar
fluffy
Howler
Posts: 10107
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Post by fluffy »

j$
Gorilla
Posts: 5111
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:HOLY SHIT! Johnny Cashpoint is really John Cuzak. It all makes sense now…
I wish. John Cusack is a sexy man.
Fluffy wrote:Could someone transcribe this reviews?
Sure. 'Vote for Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints - life-changing experience' 400 times.
max the cat wrote:I rest my case
Well, so do I! Yes, ha ... erm .... *scurries off into a dark corner and cries*
max the cat
Tarsier
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

Post by max the cat »

fluffy wrote:<a href="http://beesbuzz.biz/~fluffy/bad_cat_rev ... 3">someone transcribe this plsthx</a>
I wish I had time to transcribe your reviews. I find listening as opoposed to reading really enlightning in so many ways.(Inflection, hearing the tune as it is critiqued) A really great idea. Do you actually sequence the songs or what? I think what you say about this being more than a fight, it's a commuity is spot on. I would add and a great workshop.I was an early lurker but I think if one puts in and gets the benefits of critiques, one should put out, so to speak. I do agree. Bush is bashed out. I'm bashing the voters.
max the cat
Tarsier
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 am

Post by max the cat »

.... *scurries off into a dark corner and cries*[/quote]

Damn! Now I'm going to have to coax you out from under the bed. Seriously I think your chorus could have been a little more straight forward. As for "risky and frisky" it's not the fact that they don't apply, its the silly sound of them, A slapstick moment in what I would call a conceit of subtler humor. They just stand out, they don't blend properly. And lest we forget, this is just a minor detail.
User avatar
fluffy
Howler
Posts: 10107
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Post by fluffy »

max the cat wrote:
fluffy wrote:<a href="http://beesbuzz.biz/~fluffy/bad_cat_rev ... 3">someone transcribe this plsthx</a>
I wish I had time to transcribe your reviews. I find listening as opoposed to reading really enlightning in so many ways.(Inflection, hearing the tune as it is critiqued) A really great idea. Do you actually sequence the songs or what? I think what you say about this being more than a fight, it's a commuity is spot on. I would add and a great workshop.I was an early lurker but I think if one puts in and gets the benefits of critiques, one should put out, so to speak. I do agree. Bush is bashed out. I'm bashing the voters.
i did it this way because recording needs less typing than typing and my wrists have gone to shit. songs were just in the order that they came up on my iPod.
Post Reply