Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Post by mkilly »

I went in expecting a mediocre, perhaps bad, movie, but found something pretty good. A lot of it's very funny. Some of the dialogue is terrible, but that's, I guess, standard. It ends somewhat unexpectedly, to me, but not incredulously. It's a nice big movie to see at a theater; I didn't catch either of the previous two in such a venue, which maybe hurt them for me. But I thought this one was pretty good.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

They really Matrixed* these sequels up. D

* I'm coining a new term here. Please try to use it in everyday conversation. To "Matrix" is to ruin something good by completely overdoing it and forgetting about whatever it is that made the thing good in the first place. For example: "I really Matrixed the tuna casserole." This would suggest that you ruined a perfectly good recipe for tuna casserole by adding fistfuls of mini-marshmallows, Pop Rocks, and Bubble Yum soda, and omitting the tuna.
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
himynameisntmark
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass.
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: Maggie Kanuka

Post by himynameisntmark »

My only complaint is that it was too long. I thought it was really good and pretty funny. Especially Jack with the rock/crab thing. Keith Richards ftw
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Yeah, <b>D-</b>

Fucking writing BLEEEEEEEW. Whoever supervised this story team needs to be blackballed. Somebody, either directorially or producerly or executively, really fucked up this story.

Terrible.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I actually liked it - the humour really worked with me, especially when he kept finding peanuts in his beard. It was very different from the first two films though - I'll give it that.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I found it VERY difficult to sleep through this movie. Every time I would start to catch some ZZZZ's, something loud would happen and then I was forced to watch for a few more minutes before I could fall asleep again. An interminably long and dreadful experience.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

It was alright. It was one of those movies that was like "Well, I guess I have to see it so I know what everyone else is talking about". Nothing terrible, awfully long (yes the end battle was pretty, but jeeeesus it went on), but y'know, it had enough to keep it going. Although they *SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOILER* killed Norrington :( That sucked.
Songfighter since back in the day.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

I went and saw this the other night. It pleased me more than when I went and saw Dead Mans Chest. I was actually surprised that they managed to pull out a pretty decent movie, after the muddle that was DMC.

Overall, I am more than happy with how it turned out.
B
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

I personally wouldn't say they Matrix'd the sequels, as that would suggest that the first one was one of the most refreshing, ingenious movies ever (and it wasn't), and that the second two were maddeningly incomprehensible and joyless (that's debatable). I think a lot of people see the original PotC through rose-coloured glasses, or--more accurately but less idiomatically--Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush coloured glasses, because without them that movie would have been pure crap. Instead I would say they really Spiderman 3'd up At Worlds End, which is to say they stuffed two movies worth of characters and plot into one big movie, making it hurried and fatiguing.

Also: why do I only remember one action sequence in the whole movie? Where were Norrington and Davy Jones for most of the film? Why did they include the subplot about the sea-god-woman, whatshername? Why did they make such a big deal about the 9 pieces of eight? How come I can't tell any members of the East India Trading Company apart (I guess white people do all look the same)? Why did that pirate-zombie-monkey get more screen-time than most of the other actors?

That all said, if you liked the second one you're gonna like this one, because you're obviously not discerning or critical enough to let these foibles stop you from enjoying a good popcorn movie.

And I loved the second one. B