Sept. 14, 2007

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Sept. 14, 2007

Post by Leaf »

QOTD: Tell me something weird that happened on your birthday...

Here's mine: When I was a teenager, the local paper, on my birthday, had my first name printed beside my birthday... I kept it... can't remember the exact date...but it said something like "Sept. 14, 1987 TOM"

That ALWAYS freaked me the fuck out.
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

I could be pedantic and say that the QotD is not really a Question but formed in the command form of a statement...

But I won't do that...

Buuusy Fridays, the kind I hate. Busy for the following reasons:
- All of the projects I had been working on for the past week and a half have blown up in my face, and I either have to restart them completely or wait for someone else to 'catch up' before I can move forward. (In my defense, and being totally honest on this, none of them were really my fault).
- Auditors coming in next week. I'm basically a lackey boy running errands during that week.
- Weekend ahead, tons of cleaning and yardwork... ugh...
- In addition to being behind on all of those projects, our president here at the Credit Union wants me to work on some advertisements, like I got all the time in the world to just sit on the computer and make graphical croppings of football games (No lie! Our CU is a huge supporter of the local H.S. football team, and I have to create ads for the game for one of those digital signs. Irritating as all get-out.)
- Aaaannnddd... I've got three workstations to work on from scratch to get them ready for our Accounting Department. Fun fun fun, huh?

oh and... I got nothing on the Statement Of the Day.
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

So far its a nice Friday. However, we paid for some licenses to add another client all of their employees to our phone system... a week ago.. and they are dragging their feet in the delivery of these licenses. These people are porting their number next week...thank god.

Anyways,
QOTD: I don't remember most of my birthdays. Although, on my 21st birthday in Atlanta my friend showed me his penis in the men's room at The Highland Tap while a few guys came in to do their regular business. Talk about awkward. (He was ACTUALLY showing me a piercing)
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

On my 18th birthday, I went down and registered for Selective Service... three days after Kent State, although I don't think I knew anything about that at the time and didn't realize it 'til years later when I was looking at my old (unburned) draft card...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

<b>Help!</b>

Due to my own stupidity I have to figure out how to come up with $200 in like, one day.

Options:
<strike>Cash Advance</strike> - Already have one out for $500 (the limit)
<strike>Credit Card</strike> - Left it in an ATM in Atlanta (wasn't mine and is now canceled)
<strike>Borrow from friend</strike> This would require 'friends'. (I do have friends, but only a couple and they are always strapped)
Pawn - Still an option I suppose, I'd have to pawn two guitars for the cash I need and I'm real paranoid.
Sell something - This would be even better because I already OWE. But I have nothing to sell.
<strike>Prostitution</strike> - Mostly off the table.

<b>Suggestions?</b>
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Hoblit wrote:<b>Suggestions?</b>
Sell CDs to a used CD place.
Sell a couch on craigslist for $100.
Sell some plasma.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

erik wrote:
Hoblit wrote:<b>Suggestions?</b>
Sell CDs to a used CD place.
Sell a couch on craigslist for $100.
Sell some plasma.
Keep the suggestions coming, I love the CD idea. I have an s-ton of them and I can always download what I get rid of. (hell, I already download some of that stuff NOW)
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

QotD: not sure I remember any weird birthdays. So I'll go for "novel": I climbed a volcano in Bali on my birthdayonce. And did it before sunrise so we'd watch it from up there. Was a bitch hiking up in the dark, but well worth it.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:QotD: not sure I remember any weird birthdays. So I'll go for "novel": I climbed a volcano in Bali on my birthdayonce. And did it before sunrise so we'd watch it from up there. Was a bitch hiking up in the dark, but well worth it.
I'da just slept in and not have to climb down a mountain for brunch. You can just catch an early flight and watch the sun come up from the airplane.

I'm lame as well as lazy.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Has anyone ever pawned a car title before?
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

QotD: Outside of the normal birthday tomfoolery, nothing comes to mind. But the question inspired me to do a little more research into my birthday (4/20), which is a day notable for a couple pretty negative connotations: The birth of Hitler, and the Columbine shootings.

But today I found out I share a birthday with the following people with whom I'm down:

George Takei
Steve Spurrier
Mike Portnoy
Tito Puente
Crispin Glover

...not bad.

Also: Hey Hoblit, got any music gear you wanna unload? Not like the guitars you were gonna pawn or anything. I mean stuff you're not gonna ever use.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jimtyrrell wrote: Also: Hey Hoblit, got any music gear you wanna unload? Not like the guitars you were gonna pawn or anything. I mean stuff you're not gonna ever use.
I suck at letting things go.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Yeah, I'm like that too. Just thought I'd ask.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Hoblit wrote:<b>Help!</b>

Due to my own stupidity I have to figure out how to come up with $200 in like, one day.
Ok -- something to consider:

When do you next get paid/get a cash infusion? Are there any financial obligations you can delay until that happens? Utility companies and landlords can sometimes be surprisingly accommodating, -- and many places will just charge a fee for late payments. You might be able to squeak by with less than you think.

I hear there's good money to be made in (no jokes please) sperm donation, but I suspect the screening process takes longer than a day... that and you'd have to be OK with the idea of potentially not knowing if you have offspring running around out there.

There's always going to the goodwill, scoring good stuff, and selling that stuff back to the more "upscale" vintage stores. At least that's something you can do here in PDX -- but it's pretty hard work. Not something you can do if you have to clock in at a day job.

Good luck! Being broke sucks!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

anti-m wrote:

When do you next get paid/get a cash infusion? Are there any financial obligations you can delay until that happens?

Yeah, I got paid TODAY! ... but only from my part time job and I posted AFTER I already knew this :-) However, I do get paid from my full time job a week from today. My car insurance payment on the one car is due tomorrow and I have a check for the other car payment in the mail. If both were to go through RIGHT NOW I'd be $39 short (presumably on the insurance payment).

I AM going to call State Farm but I fear it's too late. (remember the part about 'my own stupidity'?)

AND THANK YOU for the advice.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Hoblit wrote:
anti-m wrote:

When do you next get paid/get a cash infusion? Are there any financial obligations you can delay until that happens?

Yeah, I got paid TODAY! ... but only from my part time job and I posted AFTER I already knew this :-) However, I do get paid from my full time job a week from today. My car insurance payment on the one car is due tomorrow and I have a check for the other car payment in the mail. If both were to go through RIGHT NOW I'd be $39 short (presumably on the insurance payment).

I AM going to call State Farm but I fear it's too late. (remember the part about 'my own stupidity'?)

AND THANK YOU for the advice.
You could stop payment on the check in the mail....but that might end up costing you a fair amount of money in fees. I'd definitely try talking to the two companies. This sort of thing happens all the time. Also talk to your bank, 'cause they might cover the shortfall -- especially since you caught it before it actually happened!

M
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

THANKS ANTI- I do appreciate your thoughfulness and I did end up calling State Farm. They were able to suspend my insurance payment until next week. So now not only will I be able to cover my insurance payment, I may even get to eat this weekend!

Remind your boyfriend that he's a lucky man.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Hey no sweat! We've all had those "Ramen" days... weeks... years...
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

qotd: When I was in first grade I had to go home early on my birthday because my eyes hurt a lot. I kept telling the teacher that it felt like I had pencils in my eyes. I hate pencils to this day because of that feeling.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Hoblit wrote:Has anyone ever pawned a car title before?
Do NOT do that. You will regret it.

(Not saying that I have, just that the economics of it are so heavily biased against the person who is dumb enough to do it.)

<a href="http://www.savekaryn.com/">My suggestion</a> (okay, not really).

I can't say I've ever had to extend credit like that. I've always avoided having to scramble for money.

NQaQotD: A surgeon cut my mom's stomach open and pulled me out through the opening. That's pretty weird.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

fluffy wrote:
Hoblit wrote:Has anyone ever pawned a car title before?
1. Do NOT do that. You will regret it.

2. <a href="http://www.savekaryn.com/">My suggestion</a> (okay, not really).

3. I can't say I've ever had to extend credit like that. I've always avoided having to scramble for money.

4. NQaQotD: A surgeon cut my mom's stomach open and pulled me out through the opening. That's pretty weird.
1.Yeah, I've heard terrible things about pawning titles but I only needed a couple'a hundred. Figured I could pay it back pretty quick. Eitherway, as stated, I got State Farm to give me another week on the insurance payment.

2.The save Karyn Site must have worked... she says she doesn't need to be saved any more. (took me a second to figure out what you had meant)

3. You're clearly smarter than me. (And both of my jobs combined don't equal your income!) I made a dumb mistake forgetting all about my insurance payment zap on the 15th each month.

4. YOU TOO?!??!!!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

fluffy wrote:NQaQotD: A surgeon cut my mom's stomach open and pulled me out through the opening. That's pretty weird.
HAHA - yes. I must remind my sons about their weird birth-day. Maybe what's weirder is I watched everything happening as they cut, opened, pulled...pulled some more...from the head! Weird indeed.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face