About that review... (Why So Serious?)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

About that review... (Why So Serious?)

Post by Spud »

I mean really.
Last edited by Spud on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

Remember: have your supply of Heath bars ready to much on while listening to and reviewing these fine tunes. Roar.
fretnoize
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by fretnoize »

Bummer, looks like I didn't get mine in on time...
Oh well... It's not "done" anyway, but still would have been cool to get it in there. Well in case anyone wants a listen, this was the state of it when I tried to submit a little while ago.

http://www.fretnoize.com/songfight/Bax_wss.mp3
http://www.fretnoize.com/songfight/serious.txt for the lyrics...
Stu
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Finale
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Stu Jordan, Theophilus Monk, The 'Scow

Post by Stu »

It is an honor to fight with the mighty Pathetic Octothorpe.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Are you in the fight, Stu?

edit: ah, I see that you are. Well, welcome, then. 'bout time.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Sweet, a new Future Boy song!! It's been too long.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

In whatever random order iTunes decided to add them...

Rone Rivendale – This is sort of trippy. Your recording quality is better than I remember from previous fights. The vocal delivery is a little bit like what I would expect from my junior high science teacher if he decided to teach us about the solar system through rap. I like the stopdown in the middle. It sort of lets the audience into the fact that this song isn’t too serious, which is good.

Stu Jordan – You have a nice voice, and this is really well-written. I love the chords in the chorus. Once again, having a voice this nice really sets you apart on SongFight. The verses really remind me of the Lovin Spoonful for some reason.

Atari Desert – Oooh another really good voice. I don’t hear enough pop on SongFight, and this is really solid. I am really digging this. This might be my favorite entry I’ve heard in the last few months. So many sweet hooks, and great production. This is catchier than the Avian Flu.

Precarious Loaf – I have mixed feelings on this. I think it is well-written and well-performed, but I think the drum loop is making it lack the energy that I think it deserves. I can picture this rocking my socks off with real drums or a more energetic loop. Also, maybe mix an instrument in the right speaker, it feels a little lop-sided.

The Weakest Suit – “And that’s fine, but where are the signs” is pretty catchy, but the rest of the song feels like it drags a bit. I like the end.

Wages – The chord changes in the verses sound like they are from a long-lost demo for the White Album, and the chorus is pretty Pearl Jammy. So that’s reall good. I just wish that you had put effort into recording a version that sounds more final. It could be really kick-butt.

Steve Durand – This is by far the best novelty song from the fight. The horns are so ridiculously awesome, I feel the need to repeat the song right now and just skip to the parts with the horns. Not that the other parts aren’t good, in fact they are pretty awesome. I love the vibe. The organ. I’m enjoying the lyrics too. But like I alluded to earlier, this song has a hint of novelty that makes it so I can’t take it too seriously, which is maybe the point. Did I mention how freaking awesome the horns are?

PiGPEN – Holy Melodyne Batman! Sometimes I get in weird moods where I think stuff like this is the coolest ever, but I guess I’m not in one of those moods right now. The things I’m enjoying most about this track right now are the harmonies. But I can’t stand that synth that sounds like Pacman dying in my left ear.

The LMNOPotamus – wickawicka. This is not bad at all, it is actually pretty well-done. I don’t really know what else to say.

Ill Cricket Crew – I love the “who-oh-oah”s. I see you were blending some styles here, and I think you are much more successful with the rock-sounding parts than with the reggae.

Future Boy – This is just personal preference, but I am not a huge fan of this much synth, but even I have to admit that underneath all of the “electro”, there is a very solid pop song here. The “Why can’t you see…” section really reminds me of some of McCartney’s songs from the 80s. Great performance, great production.

Eddiebangs – Oooh this song really picks up at 0:45! I feel like at that moment the song gets boosted from ‘mediocre SongFight entry’ to ‘catchy song I would hear on the radio’.

The Capitalist Youth – Wow. In the first 10 seconds my mind changed 3 times as to what genre this is. I really like the blunt lyrics. The breakdown 1:25 works. There are some mixing issues, but I’m not really sure if I can offer some helpful suggestions. Overall, I’m pretty sure I like this one quite a bit.

MC Crapalot – ummm…

Pathetic Octothorpe – Another classic Octothorpe track. Way to be topical with the lyrics. I tried for a while and gave up thinking of a word that rhymed with serious. I can’t believe I didn’t think of “delirious”. Kudos.

Uncle Gravy Biscuits – Hey this is groovy. It sort of reminds me of the Black Keys, who I really like. There is an element of this song I really really like, but I’m not sure how to refer to it in writing, except to say that it occurs at 0:21 and 0:32 and 1:32.

Well in the end it was a close one, but I have to give my vote to Atari Desert, while still sending out massive respect to Steve Durand, who came this close to winning my vote (imagine me holding my thumb and index finger in close proximity).
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

JeffHenderson wrote:
Well in the end it was a close one, but I have to give my vote to Atari Desert, while still sending out massive respect to Steve Durand, who came this close to winning my vote (imagine me holding my thumb and index finger in close proximity).
Thanks for the review Jeff. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Imagining your thumb and forefinger makes me think of Maxwell Smart saying "missed it by that much"
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
AcidicJew
A New Player

Post by AcidicJew »

steve durand - A well executed song. I like! Fun Lyrics, fun music, fun. Great horn. I like short songs, so maybe I would have ended on the verse lyric ".. its always going to be ok."

MC Crapalot - So far so swishy sounding. Sounds like I don't have the radio station tuned in properly and the radio has a rotating speaker. To short to be overly annoying, but I didn't bother relistening to see if it would grab me a second time. Might just not be for me. Not melodic or rhythmic enough for my tastes, and unintelligible lyrics for the lose.

The Capitalist Youth - Loving this right off the bat. I like that I'm going to die, sing it brother! I have no control, Hallelujah! I would purchase this song and or steal it for all to listen. Good Job!

Jeff Travis Henderson - Gawd, so many better songs than mine. This is a very nicely executed song that just isn't catching me. Its so well done that I lay the fault on myself. Its not you, its clearly me. So arbitrary is my preference. I'm sorry it let you down.

Ill Cricket Crew - I like things to be a little serious. How nonchalant and laid back this song is, was right on point with the title, but I think it could have been better with a little aggression. Your tunemanship is enjoyable, though I wouldn't give this repeated listens though. I thought the skinhead would kick your shit in if you talked to him in the form of this song.

Eddiebangs - Wow, this is extremely well produced. Lyrically its a little ugh, I expected you to start singing about the lord at any moment. Ok that was Extreme.. its that "child inside" and "let your hair down" stuff.. very (and this will be rich coming from me, I have to tell you) earnest.

PigPen - So far so NEAT! Giving it a second listen. I might not put this in my listening list, but its a quirky well done tune that I would definitely recommend to my quirky little tune listening friends. Good job.

Pathetic Octothorpe - I bet you've got your fans. You just giver. Sloppy sounding fun, but not really for me.

the LMNOpotamus - Rhymnocerus? Kinda just zoned out on this. Not your target audience.

Atari in the Desert - The intro made me think this was going to be a sort of a nicer better done 'bigger better faster stronger', hearing an actual song kick in was a nice surprise. You may be able to sell this to a boy band of some stripe or another, and that might have been a dis.. but more against me, cause I'm enjoying this very much.

Future Boy - "you show me charts, you show me graphs".. Nice lyric. This is an enjoyable song, with an enjoyable premise and a nice little groove. Good job. I enjoyed the abrupt ending. Endings are hard, I respect what you did with yours.

Stu Jordan - There was so many very Produced songs that this was of refreshing to come across. In any other fight I' might have been "oh gawd another fucking boy and his guitar.." (".... that I'd have to compete with MY, not as good, boy and his guitar schtick."). Its one take (sounding?) simplicity is nice. Might not have done so well for me if it was surrounded by other boy's and their guitar songs. Wouldn't repeat listen, but it was nice.

The Weakest Suit - Dull is such a harsh word, and I don't think this song deserves such a harsh word.. .. and its not quite dull its more ummm 'Lacking liveliness and proper acidity'. As I've been told with my 'Lacking liveliness and proper acidity' songs, they are better to be shorter. This song would have been sweeter if it wasn't topping 4min.

Uncle Gravy Biscuits - Expecting great things from a band with this name, have no idea why. A familial thing or something. Who didn't let their uncle get away with more than others might? (TMI?) I like the delivery of the "Ah come on now.. " you sound duly exasperated without losing the musicality, very nice. I'm not exactly getting the lyrics, but there is enough in there that will make me come back and listen again and take from it what I will/am able. Laid back and catchy. Very enjoyable.

Wages - I'm going to copy your vocal styling just to see if I can without sounding like a faker 'try hard'. Its great. Not quite the style of music I'm usually into, but you sell it very well. Good job.

Precarious Loaf - Mine. I messed up and submitted early (thanks fightmaster, for the break).. and then I realised I had a whole week more to mess with it... so I was going to practice my arrangement skills... umm they still suck, even with a whole extra week. I have many excuses, and you don't want to hear them. There is an inside joke for a certain subculture of geek in the song.. I'm curious if anyone else knows it?

Rone Rivendale - I wished you would have actually stopped, as opposed to pause, when you said stopped. The song would feel a little better executed and clever, for me, if you had. If I could get this song (with my suggested edit) in a singing card, I would totally use it like a "get well" card for a friendship gone awry with a buddy.
"If I had two cents to rub together, this would be them."
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Steve Durrand's horns sound sooooo good it's shocking.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

The Weakest Suit: I like the laid back feel of this. Some of the harmonies are a little pitchy. Nice music to study to (which I'm doing now).

Steve Durand: Wow, amazing intro. Is that you playing, or a loop? I wish your vocal instrument was as good as your horn, but overall very fun song. I like the latin vibe.

Jeff Travis Henderson: Nice groove. Voice goes well with the song, it's perfectly breathy. Harmonies are unexpected and pleasant. Well-composed and produced. Ooh, electric guitar. Harmonies on electric guitar? Very cool. This is awesome. Great guitars at the end. Great job. My favorite.

Eddiebangs: Always one of my favorite songfighters! I missed you. This song is great and funky. No complaints.

Pathetic Octothorpe: I can't put this one down because I'm fairly sure you are the one that puts up with me sending in 5 edits of my song to get it just right (and you usually puts up my final edit). This song definitely embodies "why so serious?"

PIGPEN: Cool harmony at the beginning, followed by some odd instrumentation that I'm not digging. Art music, lost on me.

Precarious Loaf: Are you singing in an accent? Where are you from? Electric guitars kind of makes the song feel muddy and makes the harmonies unclear. I don't really like the repetitiveness of the drums. I like the emotional quality of the voice.

Wages: Guitar playing seems off at first, but then I get into it. I like "love's got a lifetime warranty." Voice is blues-y and cool. Overall, nice song worth re-listening to.

Ill Cricket Crew: Reminds me of the Carribean. Fun song, I get more into it as it goes. Nice island music. It drags a little, I wanted more stuff to happen.

MC Crapalot: Art music. Only fun for you.

Futureboy: Oh boy, I was excited to listen to this. I love your creative and interesting instrumentals. One of your most memorable was the cough in "Brown Boxes," and this one has similarly interesting sonorities. Fun harmonies and chord progressions, too.

Stu Jordan: Very blues-y. Sparse and minimalistic, which is cool, but not interesting enough to keep me all the way through.

The LMNOPot: Haha. This is amazing. Real hardcore rapping on songfight? You bet. Great job. East or west coast?

Rone Rivendale: Cool instrumental, but vocal track has a lot of static and is distracting. No melody, which is disappointing.

Capitalist Youth: I like the social commentary of your name. Drum loop does not fit. I like the harmonies. Sounds a little like Guster. I would like to hear this without the drums, as it is very good.

Uncle Gravy Biscuits: Wow. Best vocals so far. I live near 7th and 23rd! Great bass line. Second favorite entry.

Atari in the Desert: This is me with Freddielove. I think Fred did an amazing job. He did all the vocals, including lyrics, melody, and harmonies, and I did the instrumental. I'm very happy with the result and hope to work with him again in the future.

Great job everyone!
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Better write these while I'm listening:

Atari in the Desert: I like a lot of the synth stuff in this. The vocal delivery is a little too Backstreet Boys for my taste, but still good. The chord progression is one that is a bit overused, but the arrangement makes up for it. I do feel like there is a bit of Phoenix channeling going on here, which I am all for, just wish the arrangement was a little more in that direction.

The Capitalist Youth:
The vocal harmony is this is real nice. Not so fond of the distorted bass. The song grows on me.

Eddiebangs: This is way more sensitive than the Eddiebangs I remember. It's maybe a little too 80s hair metal sensitive for my taste. There's something about the percussion that is not locking in for me. Maybe it's a mix of sequenced and live performance?

Future Boy: I am not overly fond of some of the drum fills. May need to revisit those.

Ill Cricket Crew: Cheesy. Weird. Stop abusing reverb.

Jeff Travis Henderson: Nicely done backing vocals. The mix overall needs more "oomph". Has a very reasonable Brian May style guitar solo, though.

the LMNOPotamus: Ugh, this mix is terrible. Lost points for referencing SF. I am bored.

MC Crapalot: yes, yes indeed.

Pathetic Octothorpe: Please keep doing what you are doing.

PiGPEN: Auto-tune was kind of fun at the beginning, then got annoying. Don't have strong feelings about the music. Can't understand the lyrics, so have no opinion about them.

Precarious Loaf: You need to either take out the drums completely or replace them with just straight up indie rock drums because the shit that's in there is seriously detracting from this song's quality.

Rone Rivendale: Oh another serious/delirious rhyme! Not overly fond of this track.

Steve Durand: Ooo, serious / mysterious / theory is - nice! You get the rhyme award, for sure. The horns in this are great, as has been mentioned, I only wish that the organ / congas were up to the same level.

Stu Jordan: The chorus is better than the verse, but overall I am meh on this tune.

Uncle Gravy Biscuits: I am kinda digging this, in spite of myself. The singer definitely carries this one. Thank you for keeping the solo at the end short.

Wages: If you are gonna do just guy and guitar, man does it have to be compelling. This is not compelling.

The Weakest Suit: You think you need reverb. You don't. Just stop using it. Also think you could have been just a little more imaginative with the drum part. It's so bland it might as well not be there.

----------------------

Think my vote goes to Steve Durand, if only for that wonderful rhyme.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Smalltown Mike wrote:Steve Durrand's horns sound sooooo good it's shocking.
Zzzzzzappp!

AcidicJew wrote:steve durand - A well executed song. I like! Fun Lyrics, fun music, fun. Great horn. I like short songs, so maybe I would have ended on the verse lyric ".. its always going to be ok."
Yes, I thought it was too long also but it felt like it needed to finish out that way to me. I usually try to stay under 3 minutes.
Lonbobby wrote:Steve Durand: Wow, amazing intro. Is that you playing, or a loop? I wish your vocal instrument was as good as your horn, but overall very fun song. I like the latin vibe.
Yes, that's me playing. I also lament my vocal abilities.
Future Boy wrote:Steve Durand: Ooo, serious / mysterious / theory is - nice! You get the rhyme award, for sure. The horns in this are great, as has been mentioned, I only wish that the organ / congas were up to the same level.
One of the things that I enjoy doing with Songfight is to try and learn to play all of the various instruments that I need for my tunes. And I am certainly better at some than others.

Thanks for the reviews and welcome back to Smalltown Mike, Lonbobby, and Future Boy who have all been absent for a while.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
AcidicJew
A New Player

Post by AcidicJew »

Lonbobby wrote:Precarious Loaf: Are you singing in an accent? Where are you from? Electric guitars kind of makes the song feel muddy and makes the harmonies unclear. I don't really like the repetitiveness of the drums. I like the emotional quality of the voice.
Thats me. I'm singing in an accent, isn't everyone? I'm a west coast Canadian. Does it sound like english isn't my first language?
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Lonbobby wrote: Pathetic Octothorpe: I can't put this one down because I'm fairly sure you are the one that puts up with me sending in 5 edits of my song to get it just right (and you usually puts up my final edit).
I am. But don't let that stop you from reviewing our song relentlessly.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

JTH - this is an incredible song. i heard it over at fawm and was blown away. i don't know how this one wins. i have not listened to the rest of the fight yet so i haven't voted. but man, how can it get better than this. the lead line is what puts this one over the top for me. it's so instantly likeable.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

The Weakest Suit wrote:JTH - this is an incredible song. i heard it over at fawm and was blown away. i don't know how this one wins. i have not listened to the rest of the fight yet so i haven't voted. but man, how can it get better than this. the lead line is what puts this one over the top for me. it's so instantly likeable.
Thanks, i really appreciate it.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Future Boy wrote: Ill Cricket Crew:Stop abusing reverb.
Reverb abuse was required to emulate that classic skinhead reggae sound of the late 1960s. Cheers.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
AcidicJew
A New Player

From the mouth of Babe

Post by AcidicJew »

As I, like many men I know, like to seek approval from attractive woman I've asked my friend for her thoughts on the fight. She went ahead and reviewed the whole fight. She is not a musician and does not know any of the technical babble that goes along with music production. I decided I'd share her review with you. She wrote this before reading anyone elses review, for purities sake.

----------------------------------------

Atari in the desert – Wow. I really liked the music, there was a hint of Cure in the first part of the vocals, and yet it also feels Justin Timberlake (yes I like JT), the quality and completeness of the song was very impressive, this was the first one I listened to which may have biased me overall – good voice, good production, good music, lyrics may not be indie-clever which tends to be more common in songfights, but it has that ‘I could hear this on the radio’ feel which isn’t a bad thing in my books (it actually reminded me of this http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?key=moon_shine winner who I loved so much it ended up on my MP3 player)

The Capitalist Youth – meh, it’s ok, not my taste alas, I kept waiting for some sort of change up in the music, the one around 1:22 was ok, retro-hippie song perhaps?

Eddiebangs – I think I like it, I’ll try it again when I’ve made it through the rest of the list, voice makes me think of Creed + 3 Doors down which I like – it held up to a second run listen, and third, and fourth, etc, catchy, the music is well put together, this is a ‘play it for your girlfriend for valentines’ (and get laid) song, - ties for second.

Futureboy – Not bad, makes me think of retro 80s, the beat makes me want to go out clubbing to the Dance Cave {local spot in our hood - Matt} for retronight, overtheshouldergallery thinks it’s They Might be Giant’s-esque (I don’t listen to them but it could be), the music almost overwhelms the lyrics, which I didn’t really get into until I’d listened to it a few times, but the chorus is catchy, where are my dancing shoes, I need to get out more :S - ties for second.

Cricketboycrew – I should like this but something’s not working for me, maybe changes flow too much with the chorus? It reminded me of 311 from the 50 First Dates movie, but somehow it’s not moving me enough.

JeffTravisHenderson – first impression is cute (like girls say cute), but the volume on the chorus seems off, I’ll listen to it again at the end see how it holds up, yeah didn’t make round 2 listening when compared to others, the chorus just isn’t sitting right I don’t know if I’m a fan of what feels like too many mixing of styles, but not bad and I like some of the lyrics, I’m just so undecided.

LMNOpotamus – rofl, awesome SlimShady impression, it’s actually not bad, just kinda funny, I know rap beats are repetitive, but it could have used a bit of a change up in the beat, I really wanted to turn up the volume to better hear the lyrics but the base was overwhelming which is a pity.

MCcrapalot – there’s something about 80s scifi tv shows in the music, I’m not a fan of megaphone rap though, not for me.

Pathetic octothrope – OMG it’s Rolf or Dr Teeth from the muppets! I can’t make out the lyrics enough to decide if their clever enough to make up for the kookyness, the volume on the vocals seems kinda off, but overall not my thing.

Pigpen – ack, so torn, so mixed, there’s a part of this song I like and a part I don’t, maybe if they had less weird effects? His voice is kinda sexy and I like the tune, but too much space vibe, it grows on me and I want to like it more, less UFOs and perhaps a bit more lyrics and it might just be stealth awesome.

Precarious Loaf – hard to review since I’ve heard the first version and liked it more in some ways (we can talk about that later), but it feels like maybe playing with too many new toys muddled it a bit, which is a pity cause I’m a big fan ;) {She hated the drums and guitar like everyone else does - Matt}

RoneRivendale – this intro beat was interesting, but then this whole spoken word thing really doesn’t do it for me.

Steve Durand – OMG awesome! This is total chair dancing music :D alas the lounge esque voice doesn’t sound quite up to it all the time (like the bit starting at 1:28), but it’s cute and amusing, the music and lyrics are enjoyable, although I almost wish I could hear a Tom Waits gravelly voice version for comparison – this wins most amusing entry for me, it has an entertaining brilliance my kooky self cannot deny :D

StuJordan – wow, like the only boy-with-guitar song so far, blues is ok, the voice doesn’t feel quite ‘full’ enough for blue though, and I’m not sure about the chorus.

Uncle Gravy biscuts – cool it’s Sting and I like that, I want to dig up my old 10 summoners tales cd, very catchy, good production, the lyrics are good, it’s solid, cause I’m quirky I think this ties for my favourite with Atari.

Wages – second boy-with-guitar, hmm, umm, makes me think of some Eddie Veder angsty rock boy stuff, feels like there’s a blip around 1:21, it’s not quite working for me, a little too repetitive in the end.

The Weakest Suit – I think there’s this strange ‘singing in the shower’ effect that turns me off, it can really break a song for me.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street

Re: From the mouth of Babe

AcidicJew wrote:The Weakest Suit – I think there’s this strange ‘singing in the shower’ effect that turns me off, it can really break a song for me.
is this a review? it just sounds like bitching to me.
Stu
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Finale
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Stu Jordan, Theophilus Monk, The 'Scow

Post by Stu »

Uncle Gravy Biscuits - This song is really great! It's laid back and funky and has a great guitar tone and all that other stuff that I love. That pre-chorus is really excellent. I wish the guitar solo at the end had gone on longer though, I was really grooving.

Atari In The Desert - Man, this really sounds like it could be on the radio. It's quick paced, rhythmic lyrics. Everything is really well performed and the song is well put together too. I can't really knock anything about it except that because it sounds like something that could be found on a top 40 station at any second now. But if you want to write music for stuff like that, then you're there man.

The Capitalist Youth - I really enjoyed the harmonies on your lead vocal. The distorted bass got a little annoying after a while, I think it would work way better without the distortion since the tune has a bit of a country flavor. Overall I do like listening to it
though.

Precarious Loaf - Sounds very Bowie. I like the harmony voice, it really adds a lot to the tune. Other than that though I can't say it really holds my attention long.

Wages - Your voice is pretty soulful and I like it. It kept sounding like you were losing the beat though, which kept throwing me off. Reminds me of Pearl Jam, which is a good thing. I think I like the chorus a bit more than the verse.

Jeff Travis Henderson - Love that guitar riff. The verse is really great in fact. The chorus doesn't really do it for me though. The Queen electric guitar solo caught me off guard and I'm not sure how it really fits in the style, but it is well performed! Is that a bongo way back in the mix I hear? I would like it if that was a little more up front.

The Weakest Suit - The tune isn't really catching my attention and the beat gets really monotonous after a while so a change up in the harmonic rhythm would really be great. I hear you switched it up for that short bridge thing, and that relieved it a bit. It's not a bad song, just a little predictable.

Eddiebangs - Nice use of the tambourine at the beginning, like late 60s Beach Boys. The verse is sparse and the chorus has more stuff going on so it adds a nice contrast. Background vocals are excellent too. This one is a top contender for me. Near the end when all the voices start layering on top of each other is a nice touch too. This is something I would love listening to.

PiGPEN - This one doesn't do it for me much. That synth vocal thing has always bugged me though so maybe I'm not a good judge on this one.

Ill Cricket Crew - Reggae feel is pretty cool. I like it better when it gets to the chorus though and then it gets a feel like a mid 90s alt rock song. I can't hear "pick it up" anymore without thinking of that ska joke though. This is pretty good song though, I don't think I'd listen to it over and over again though.

Steve Durand - As always, I am a huge fan of horns in pop songs. If this were sung by saucy woman I would love it. The only thing that
really turns me off here is the voice (it's not that it's terrible, it's just not delivered with enough spice) but everything else is great. I like this one a lot.

Future Boy - I think I'd like this more if that synth bass were a real electric bass, and it wasn't distorted. I knocked on distorted bass earlier, maybe I'm just not in the mood at the moment. Not a fan of the electric drums either, it gets annoying after a while. The melody is cool though, and the chord changes hit me the right way too. Background vocals are excellent, right on the money.

MC Crapalot - Hmm, doesn't do it for me either. There is so much going on in the background at the end that it's pretty hard to listen to. Vocals could stand to be up in the mix too.

the LMNOPotomus - Great band name by the way. Lotta Slim Shady here, rhyming is great as it should be. Is that a sample of a marching band or something?

Pathetic Octothorpe - Octothorpe = Fun. That guitar solo is really making me jive the right way. Love that spacy synth sound at the end.

Rone Rivendale - I've heard enough rhymes with "serious" in this fight to last me a while. Pretty monotonous, doesn't really catch me unfortunately. Production on the beat is good though.

My vote is gonna go to Uncle Gravy Biscuits because it's just damn good.

Runners up:
1. Steve Durand
2. Eddiebangs
3. Jeff Travis Henderson
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Stu wrote: MC Crapalot - Hmm, doesn't do it for me either. There is so much going on in the background at the end that it's pretty hard to listen to. Vocals could stand to be up in the mix too.
don't have a pre-amp, that's about the best i can do on production right now
specially vocals
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>