LostFight! Fight Thread

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.

Who's is best?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 am

Abecedarian
9%
The Hip Cola
18%
J$
27%
Jack Shite
18%
Southwest Statistic
27%

Total votes: 11
c hack
Panama

LostFight! Fight Thread

Post by c hack »

Contenders:

Abecedarian:
http://www.abcdarian.com/music/lost.mp3

The Hip Cola:
http://www.redcar.ca/Music/Lost30sec_TheHipCola.mp3

J$:
http://www.kongbalong.com/dcm/losttheme.mp3

Jack Shite:
http://www.spewgrass.com/music/jack/lost_mcjack.mp3

Southwest Statistic:
http://www.cyberpunkx.com/ftp/store/sws ... e_song.mp3

Let the fighting begin! The poll will be running for a week, and will be a large factor in the judging. The other factors will be my own inflated ego, and the opinions of my friends and co-workers.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Right on! Thanks c hack. You rule for organizing this.

note: I see they don't all abide by the "Song Restrictions: you must submit a version of the song that's 27-30 seconds long" rule. Not to bitch, (because it doesn't really matter), but it bears mentioning that when listening and judging, consider the challenge of having done this within that time frame. That was for sure the hardest part.

However, my full version, for comparisson's sake.

GAME ON! 8)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Excuses, excuses! :)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Why am I always first voter guy? Same with the Songwar. Hmmm. Oh well. 5 very interesting and varied choices. ABCD's I like as a whole, not just that piece. I like J$' despite using the li'l screaming sample. SWS' has replay value but I think it wouldn't make a good TV theme song. I like how THC's incorporated the current theme song. Jack & THC's themes both felt like they'd go for Alias instead of Lost.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

That's interesting Niveous...I d/l's episodes 1 through 6 but only watched the first couple before I toasted my hd. I'm pleased that it sounds Lost-ish though...I'll have to go d/l them again to listen.

Thanks!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

TheHipCola wrote: note: I see they don't all abide by the "Song Restrictions: you must submit a version of the song that's 27-30 seconds long" rule. Not to bitch, (because it doesn't really matter), but it bears mentioning that when listening and judging, consider the challenge of having done this within that time frame. That was for sure the hardest part.
Yeah, I was thinking of disqualifying the ones that didn't fit the time frame but didn't want to be a nazi about it. If there were like 20 submissions, I might've. I WILL take it into account when judging though.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

j$ wrote:Excuses, excuses! :)
I'm listening to "Signs of Life" right now. I love the idea of writing each song about a sign on your walk, and showing a picture. Why aren't they also embedded in the mp3 file???
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

c hack wrote:
I'm listening to "Signs of Life" right now. I love the idea of writing each song about a sign on your walk, and showing a picture. Why aren't they also embedded in the mp3 file???
Wait. There's a flag on the play. OFF TOPIC. Penalty 10 yards. Repeat 3rd Down.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

c hack wrote:
I don't know how to do that ... please enlighten me as it seems like a really really really good idea!

j$
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Announcer: Looks like there's a flag on another play. This time the foul's on the London Cashpoints.

OFF TOPIC. Defense. 10 yards. Repeat the down.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

okay okay, I'll take it to PM and delete my earlier posts.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

seriously, how dare you talk about whatever you want to in this thread you created!!
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

tviyh wrote:seriously, how dare you talk about whatever you want to in this thread you created!!
Unnecessary Roughness.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Niveous wrote:Unnecessary Roughness.
...automatic simmer down.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

TheHipCola wrote: note: I see they don't all abide by the "Song Restrictions: you must submit a version of the song that's 27-30 seconds long" rule. Not to bitch, (because it doesn't really matter), but it bears mentioning that when listening and judging, consider the challenge of having done this within that time frame. That was for sure the hardest part.
i agree. the hardest part was the 35 second rule. anything longer wouldn't work as a theme song (who wants to watch a 2 minute theme?).

i'll bitch about it.
Hi!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

I listened to these (as objectively as I could) as if I were a producer for the show and here are my comments:

"We're looking primarily for something that says 'Lost' to us. And for this reason we think that Southwest Statistic's submission is the most interesting. It does not fit the time, but we have very good sounds editors that can shape that up in a hurry. We like the contrast of styles within the submission such that different portions can be used under different circumstances (such as promotion or for tension or for release, etc.). The choral arrangement (done by an actual chorus) hints at a labour of absolution that abecedarian gets at but is more subtle than his offering. We do feel that some of these bits are a little more comfortably composed than we are looking for. We suggest that you collaborate with the Hip Cola to generate a second pass at this theme song according to the comments we've made for both of you.

We very much liked the beginning and ending of Hip Cola's full length submission and wish that THC's efforts had bent more in this direction towards a theme that was less about the facility of electronic music and more about the complexities of the unknown. Collaborate with SS on this and I think we may have a winner.

We liked Abecedarian's submission ( :roll: ) because thematically it illuminates the overarching concept we have for the show. We do feel a little bit like that concept should remain somewhat under the surface, however and we don't believe that shining a bright light on that concept in the theme song is the best way to go. Our attempt at subtlety in this regard does not match well with the idea of this as our theme song. We are looking for a road a little less travelled than this one as well.

J$'s submission also felt like 'Lost' but with more of an X-Files feel than we're going for. We are trying very hard to keep the island as real as real can be (for reasons that will become clear later on) and while apparently supernatural things occur, we want to maintain a sense of denial about these events and this theme song discounts that to a large degree.

We felt pretty much about the same for Jack Shite's submission as well. We feel that the sound at 0:18-0:19 and 0:24-0:30 has a very science fiction aura to it that we wish to avoid. We enjoyed this submission because it definitely had the ring of a theme song. We felt, however, that it carried too many connotations (Jaws, Horror, Sci-Fi). We are looking for something to base a new style of show upon that has as little baggage as possible.

We were very happy with all of the submission and we thank you for your interest in our show! For any future submissions keep this in mind: We see our show as perhaps you might see the computer game Myst. How would you write a theme song for Myst or Riven? Would you even need one, or might one rely simply on ambient sounds to carry the senses into that place?
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Great responses ABCD. I enjoyed that.

:)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

actually, the music for Myst and Riven is pretty cool if i remember right. your review was a pretty entertaining read. thanks!
Hi!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

jack shite wrote:actually, the music for Myst and Riven is pretty cool if i remember right.
Yes, exactly, it's very cool and simultaneously I doubt anyone I know could hum any bits of it from their head. I was trying to come up with a model for what the best Lost theme would be and I think the ambience of the sounds and minimalistic-yet-complex music in those games is the closest i can imagine.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

the following excerpts were taken from the "lost" episode of American Idol*.....

abecedarian
randy: what's up dog. it's decent you know. but it's all about song choice man. song choice. i'm just not really feeling it. it's a bit pitchy.

paula: well, i see where randy is coming from but i don't know. you're just so cute. you're singing's really pretty too.

simon: gah. you call that a theme song? i could fart a better theme song.

the hip cola
randy: yo dog. this was pretty fat. i can see you came to play this week. i'm still waiting for you to bust out like you did in the tryouts, but this was pretty tight. but you gotta understand, you really gotta bring the A game if you want to stick around.

paula: i like the dance beat. and i gotta agree with what randy said.

simon: it started out promising and then just dissipated into dancetrack drivel. thankfully, you kept it short.

johnny cashpoint
randy: what up dog. this was really tight man. you knew what you had to do and you just went out there and did it. no BS.

paula: mmmm, i was getting all hot over here. yeah. and what randy said.

simon: it's perfectly well done and utterly boring me to tears.

jack shite
randy: listen dog, i know you think you could just explode out of the gate and go fast and furious but i'm just not buying it. there needs to be some meat. i need some back. randy needs back.

paula: i like it. it's dancey and it's short. i wish it was longer. but i guess then it wouldn't be a theme song for a TV show.

simon: brilliant.

southwest statistic
randy: yo dog. i can dig this. i'm feeling it all around. the buildup. the rock guitar might be a little much but i can see huge improvements from last week. i can see you sticking around awhile.

paula: wow. you're cute. and those drums in the beginning got me all hot. made me want to get up and shake my booty. i'm feeling it all around. the buildup. the rock guitar might be a little much but i can see huge improvements from last week. i can see you sticking around awhile.

simon: well, don't take this the wrong way. i think you've got some talent. but i'm just not sure you're cut out to be the next american idol. ;)

*not really.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

ABCD - Very folky! I'm not sure I like vocals on a tv show theme, (See 'Enterprise') but I like the tune, and the words, those which I could make out.

HIP COLA - Nice atmos-piece. The bit right at the end sounds like a train, which may or may not be appropriate! I'd like a bit more hummable catchy riffola, but it's suitably spooky and creepy.

Me - all my instrumental electronica sounds like John Carpenter or Kraftwerk. It would probably be better on a sci-fi / supernatural show, but hey, I've never even seen 'Lost' ... ending is too abrupt maybe

MC Jack - it seems like an age since i first heard this! Great strings. Slightly 'lost in space' maybe, in a good way? I think this would be perfect without the percussion, or maybe just some really creepy reverbed egg shaker or something, but a great ear for instantly head-shaking melody here, and it's still my own personal favourite so far.

SWS - Great African drumming. The oohs and aahs are great - shame they sound a bit Patch-y - maybe a little reverb to blur in. The guitars are great but a bit 'long' and maybe too much going on? Hmmmmm ... that's probably the best one actually, but maybe it could be cut in half (i.e. half as many bars of each section) and then it would actually be front-theme length, rather than expanded over the credits end theme as it is at the moment???

Pretty good all round, actually .... I will think on this vote scenario ... Edit: Later ... I thought and have voted for Jack Shite.
Last edited by j$ on Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

jack shite wrote:i can see huge improvements from last week. i can see you sticking around awhile.
Last week?
I'm back.