Why I Have Emotional Problems (Left At The Mortuary Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
WeaselSlayer
Grok
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Ahh, that's why! Yeah, I used to be a choirboy, but I've actively tried to remove all traces of it from my voice. I'm not saying you should necessarily do anything like that, but it was pretty liberating for me.
Bjam
Grok
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Ahh, that's why! Yeah, I used to be a choirboy, but I've actively tried to remove all traces of it from my voice.
You used to be a choirboy? Whoa. I couldn't tell, so I guess you did a good job of removing any traces of it.
Songfighter since back in the day.
WeaselSlayer
Grok

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Sang my share of musical theater too, but shh don't tell nobody!
mc3p0
Alpaca

quick reviews

Post by mc3p0 »

Bjam- Lovely voice texture, pretty melody. Maybe include a dramatic, minimal break-down? Nicely sung.

Cheap Bastards- Made the music testing sync, wrote the poem, decided to test the mic, recorded the sounds.. it is too long - had to make the words fit. Five notes, four measures, etc.

Dank Dankity- Manga is forgery! Soundtrack on hidden label! Cute, nice drum sounds. Mellow and jazzy.

Der Neuen Stenographen- Insect cherub invasion level 03, looping.. sinister. This is what plays from above the black lodge urinal.

Hoblit- You are needing woman melting into car hood and clothing as you ride darkmobile through sparks, across scraping shadowside.. moths chasing vapor [insert Ozzy glare], more chick morphing into parasol, drinks served, etc. Excellent, hot voice. The strum segment 2:14 is perfect. Wonder would it be harder with a little NIN compressed drums?

Luke Henley- The nasal drone and distortion parts are great. I would like to hear more. The guitars blend in the mix nicely. This is more difficult than traditional wins.

Melvin- Very excellent for a genre that is so flooded, imo. Maybe augment the drums.. :) Great-great vocals, nifty melody. You deserve a win..

Phunt; Don't Tell- "It's time we've talked son.. about the neighbors." Creepy performance.

Phunt Your Friends- Sugary licorice soda, you have an interesting voice, but this entire piece needs better production. Pretty melody, the "doot-doot" part is cute.

Rone Rivendale- ..wow, what a lesson. Reminds me something that John Balance would have produced, rest in peace. I wonder how much rhyme structure would keep if translated into gaelic?

Seoup T.Gei- Nice production, great vocals, good expression on the theme. So realized; so my vote.

Steve Durand- Beautiful, dreamy, I guess combined makes beaureamy..

Telysian and Darren- Awwwwwe, sweet for a sad song. Another excursion into the roots bringing together this Songfight gangsta vs. hippy, robot vs. prog-goth and mime vs. muse.

Thornberry- What first struck me how many words you slide together, this is an interesting performance. Good melody, and you have a smooth progressive-combo feel. The dreamy part is a right idea, the nice vocals lost it a little, but the concept is strong.

White Ike- A rare treat of rap nicely rounds out this grand fight. [british]Midgets, breaks spatta-shots on tha' face this lit'l piece smokes the fuck out tha' guvna me mates![/british] I love the flutey 1:29.
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
mc3p0
Alpaca

Post by mc3p0 »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Cheap Bastards - Well this is dennnnnnse. Like an infinite lake I fell into. The vocals remind me a bit of of Hard 'n' Phirm's "Pi," with which I'm not really sure why I'm familiar. But man, the swirling chaos anchored by the tight fucking beat and the chanting vocals, this is some fine crafting. And then it hits a wall. Ow my bones.
Great review, WS - I love the Pi soundtrack. I was trying not to roll the potato too much, but sometimes it just gets away..
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
Darren
A New Player

The Same Telysian from yesteryear

Post by Darren »

Howdy, To answer Hoblit's question...yes it's the same Telysian from yesteryear....from Elysian Ring.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: The Same Telysian from yesteryear

Post by Hoblit »

Darren wrote:Howdy, To answer Hoblit's question...yes it's the same Telysian from yesteryear....from Elysian Ring.
Groovy, good to hear.
Seoup Gei
Llama

Post by Seoup Gei »

Updated to include all!

Bjam
I like how it’s a sad, melancholy, but yet still a “lightâ€
Last edited by Seoup Gei on Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darren
A New Player

Reviews

Post by Darren »

Ok ok ok...my reviews.....

Seoup T. Gei
Very Nicely done. Nice vocals and keys. Nice melody, but it needs more. I think if you had more time you could really make this FABulous.

Cheap Bastards
Cool! Nice melody, nicely produced. The sound effects could come down in the mix a bit though. Like Seoup's song, this needs more....

Melvin
Very nicely done, Great performance and production. Cool Lyrics. You've done this before?

Thornberry
This has a very nice feel to it...kinda late-nite 70's FM radio...

Luke Henley
The guitar sounds like a 1950's Stella you bought at a garage sale for 5$ and the action is a mile high. Vocalists love the 420??

Teylisian and Darren
This is me with the Wife. We tried an experiment...set a timer for 3 minutes and write the song. One does lyrics, one does music...when the timer goes off, you're done! And it's the best song ever, so SUCK IT!! ****just kidding......hugs and kisses everyone!
:lol:

Hoblit
Nice feel, nice lyrics. I like it when it starts to rock!

Der Neuen Stenographen
sorry, don't like it. Vocals too distorted. Sounds like you just sang it over some sort of keyboard or computer program.

Phunt your friends
The 80's live! Where's my skinny tie with the keyboard print?? Fun little tune.

Dankity Dank
Cool keyboard and rhythm stuff goin' on here. Ahh, but no lyrics. :(

Bjam
Very very nice. Really nice voice. A little slow for me, but that's just me. Also I'm curious...did you mic the guitar or plug it in direct? It sounds direct...I think 99% of the time mic'd acoustic guitar sounds way better than with a pickup.

Phunt don't tell
Very creative, but I don't like that sorta thing.

Rone Riverdale
Sounds like you wrote and produced this song all in 47 seconds. Faster than me!

White Ike
Apparantly this song is titled "Dirty South Strutting" BOOOOO! :shock:

Steve Durand
Real REAL sorrowful feel goin' on here! Nice Fiddle!

There ya go! Peace out....
Seoup Gei
Llama

Re: Reviews

Post by Seoup Gei »

Heh I was being a bitch, eh? I added you guys to my review post. thx.
Darren wrote:Ok ok ok...my reviews.....
Seoup T. Gei
...if you had more time you could really make this FABulous.
Well, now I'm embarrassed cause I did have tons of time...just couldn't decided what to add! First it was going to be woodwinds and brass, then that was too much, then another vocal part, but then that felt like too much. Ah well...
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

My reviews. Which always come later than most because I let the songs sink in first.

<b>Bjam:</b> The picking is a bit clumbsy but it makes it intimate in a very coffee house type way. I can almost hear the crowd lost in their own conversation while you are on that stage entertaining yourself and two people up front captivated by the intimacy of your performance. This is very good and I'm glad to hear you trying something new. The picking will get better the more you do it and practice it. Your voice is as beautiful as ever. You might try a bit more bass roll off on your voice. Just a little..not much. Your vocals could have been a bit higher in the mix here to. The treble in the guitar interupts you a bit. These are critisisms on a stretch. This is otherwise a great song with no need for comments on any flaws it might have had.

<b>cheapbastards:</b> This reminds me of The Cure in a lot of ways. Maybe a collision of The Cure and Depeche Mode. I like it and think it's a pretty good production, one of the better songs this week. I do appreciate all of the dynamics in the synth patches but they become overwhelming sometimes...when they crowd the vocals to be more specific. Nice and full of life and short enough to not get tired of it. I suppose life ends in the blink of an eye such as your song represents.

<b>Dankity</b> I like the start of this song a lot. Reminds me of some of the early songfight. Simple and pretty. All of the crazy scales on the piano is pretty neat. I like the farty bass. I basically like how all of the music takes it's step into the stream that is already running. Then it stops. And a new song starts...but it's closely related to the song before it that it's not like you left the show...then it melds back into itself. This is nice. The melancholy atmosphere it suggests is enough for me to relate it to the title. It even has a bit of tension that I imagine a mortuary visit would have. Good work.

<b>DNS</b> Unfortunately it starts a little like Dankity's entry...then there is a bit of a let down. Your song really goes downhill fast. I'm not fond of the vocals. Particularly the lack of melody. I mean, I can hear it a little bit..but it's so loose that it's not really a melody at all. Some of the synth work keeps it interesting. However, I would suggest working on more structure for the vocals. You could glue a song like this together with some better structure in the vocals. I hear that you are trying and I do not want to discourage you from trying. I hope that you keep working and I hope that you get better through practice.

<b>Hoblit</b> I cringe a little at the vocals. I will be re-recording the vocals for my own web page version. Otherwise, I pretty much got what I was shooting for.

<b>Luke Henly</b> This too reminds me of early songfight. It also reminds me of Syd Barret a lot. College radio late at night on a downtown station in some large city will play this. However, it needs work. I can get passed the off rhythm guitar playing and the lack of tonation in some of the vocals. I kind of like it actually. However, steer away from some of the emotive oohing and aaahing...that needs work. I love the freaky guitar in the background but the 'howling' of the vocals really turns me off. If you were to re-do this song... redo the vocals ...do the same thing...just lay off of the wandering oooos and aaahhhs and the distorted microphone in your mouth 'trick'. I think your message can be conveyed lyrically. Quirky and nice but a bit off vocally.

<b>Melvin</b><font color="orange"> This is clearly the best song in my opinion. It has a bit of a Weezer 'rip off' feel to it. However, I don't care. It sounds good. (also reminds me a bit of Harry Dash as well) You are clearly talented and I look forward to hearing more from you. Specifically I like the way the guitars work together, again alot like Weezer. Your vocals are charming, simple but yet still passionate and pleading. This is a nice modern rock ballad. The layer of keys/organ is a great touch. The vocals slipping into falsetto at the moment the guitars and drums smash in is awesome in it's music by numbers template. I don't care, it's good and I like it. Good work and you get my vote. </font>

<b>Phunt I</b> I don't care for this. It starts harsh and then it's just vocal cuts and repeats. I can dig on the 'experimental' aspect of this, but I just don't like it. It's been done and nobody I know wants an album of this. Keep working on it though...you might break through and really get something. I did a few of these once when I was young and got some really 'neat' stuff.

<b>Phunt II</b> ha ha ha, cute. This reminds me alot of Future Boy. I'm never crazy about midi or sequenced tracks, but yours is done in good taste. It's sweet and I really like the lazy vocals on top of the simple pattern. Lyrics are cute...and sad? They Might Be Giants would be proud. Good work.

<b>Roney</b> DNS...same thing. Really. It's unfortunate and I'm really not trying to be mean. (this time) Lack of melody all together. Bad edits all around. I'm gonna stop commenting on this song and make suggestions for possible future reflection. Start with the music. Get a good solid music track rolling. You can blend in your vocals or lyrics any way you want. Come up with a structure and maybe you can lay a vocal track over something with a bit more substance.

<b>sguiasometimeswhy</b> This is a way cool song. The cello is the perfect tone for the atmosphere you are trying to create. Dark strings with the cello out front. This reminds me of modern Floyd in a lot of ways. I actually, think it's better in some ways. It's as if you took the old David G and incorperated him into his own new music. But it's not HIM, it's you and it's very very good. The piano chord run throughs are very sentimental and I actually feel this dark place you have created. I have trouble understanding the lyrics but the pillow and soft bed of sound you have created really say it all anyways. Ha, I know...cross of pink floyd with new age. Except, again, it's you. More music like this. No more holding reviews for ransom.

<b>SteveyD</b> This is probably the second best song this week. Solid vocals over a nice guitar tone...which reminds me of an electric piano actually. Nice harmonies, and leaving a nice atmosphere. The stringed instrument is a very nice touch. This reminds me of 60's folk music. Along the lines of Simon & Garfunkle or early James Taylor. Good stuff.

<b>DTs</b> This is a solid tune. It doesn't grab me in the way a lot of other music doesn't grab me. It's not you, it's me. Obviously the vocals are strong. The guitar is relatively strong and I like the light strum recording of it as well. The wind instrument is also a nice touch but I don't know if I like the lyrics or perhaps the vocal 'talk' accents. But I think it's just a preference for me...this is a good song whether I like it or not. Good to see you back in the ring. I'll say that your vocals blow mine away.

<b>Thorn</b> You sir can sing. I want YOUR voice. You have a very commercial voice as well. I can hear you on my radio. The song reminds me of a late 80's tune or maybe an early 90's one. It has a classic rock sound blended with some modern nuances. Good tune overall. I think there is a touch of 'cheese' in it though. I like cheese though, always have.

<b>Whike</b> This one goes out to...ah <expletive> it, shut up and listen. I think you have some talent here. I think the production weakens your performance here. To me rap can be weak and underminded by a weak track. No matter how cool you sound in reality, a bad mix can drag it down. I'm looking passed that right now. This is alright and I can see you getting a lot better. Work on tightening up the drive track in the background, and then working on mixing your vocals a bit better. They are too puff bassy...and that makes them sound amateuristic. I think you are better than that and I would like to hear a better production. Unlike acoustic guitar songs... rappers need that thumpin' drive behind them to ulitimately make their words have impact.

Good fight ya'll. Look forward to participating a bit more than I am...see you soon.
Last edited by Hoblit on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornberry
Llama
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Recorder,, Vocals, Haromica
Recording Method: M-Powered Pro Tools 8 via Profire 2626
Submitting as: Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I appreciate it as always.

One comment: Alot of people commented on my song being a bit "cheesy." I can't argue but I found it ironic that I really tried to make this a serious sentimental song to my Grandpa, as he died last month. I guess im not too good at those eh?....:)
Seoup Gei
Llama

Post by Seoup Gei »

The rest of my reviews from yesterday are posted. Thanks Darren and Hoblit, for playing along :) Hoblit won! (my game, that is).
WeaselSlayer
Grok

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Fuck Phunt.

Egg
Mixtral
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

hahaha, ya, I'm really proud of fourth place. Things are really perking up. Congrats to the actual winners who have not invoked the wrath of Luke Henley.

Just to keep everybody up to date on what our proud third and fourth placers are up to these days, we're writing three 12-page essays about the symbolic value of each vote we received and writing a 4-day long calliope instrumental that we don't plan on submitting to songfight. And we're making another instrumental using only a telephone and a broken coconut which is supposed to address how the calliope piece relates to the three essays.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
boltoph
Claude
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

yeeeah booooy. Phunt the phunt. and Luke Henley, that picture is the shit. I love all three of you.

And I couldn't be happier - every song I've done under the name Seoup T. Gei has come in 2nd place! Rok to ya'll.

and Hoblit, you rock, especially so. I don't care what the voters say, you were my first place.

My apologies for playing games with reviews...they should be given unconditionally, i know...was just in a mood...and such...and now I decided there's just no way for me to keep Boltoph at 420.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

boltoph wrote:And I couldn't be happier - every song I've done under the name Seoup T. Gei has come in 2nd place! Rok to ya'll.

and Hoblit, you rock, especially so. I don't care what the voters say, you were my first place.
Ha, now you just need to find that name that always comes in 1rst place!

and thanks :-) (I'll post here when the updated version of my song is available-redoing a few things)
Mogosagatai
Mixtral

Post by Mogosagatai »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Fuck Phunt.
Hemlock from a bush'll kill ya, but hemlock from a tree tastes mighty fine! Thanks for the drink!
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

I voted for Phunt Your Friends, but I'm not dissapointed about Melvin winning. He has a certain sound that makes you wonder what he's doing wasting his talent here instead of on Arista or Sony.

Wow, I got 1 vote. Two other guys got 0 votes so I wasn't the worst even though I sing like Darren Hayes from Savage Garden. :P

BTW, good job to everybody. This was the best song since Welcome to___ I think.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
furrypedro
Grok
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Phunt Your Friends? 3rd?! has the world gone mad?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out (smug mode) that Those meddling Kids appear to have more votes than Melvin :P . Does that us Uber-winners (for a week)? what? no!?

I think it's about time for a Those Meddling Phunts collab too. hmmm?
furrypedro
Grok
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Phunt Your Friends? 3rd?! has the world gone mad?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out (smug mode) that Those meddling Kids appear to have more votes than Melvin :P . Does that make us Uber-winners (for a week)? what? no!?

I think it's about time for a Those Meddling Phunts collab too. hmmm?
Last edited by furrypedro on Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fourth Doctor
A New Player

Cheap Bastards

Post by Fourth Doctor »

I find it interesting that I voted for Cheap Bastards, and that the tally shows them as having no votes.

So, way to go Cheap Bastards! Clean sound for sure.
If these walls could talk they'd probly still ignore me. -- MF DOOM