BeClause we need a prefight, here you go (Clause 5 prefight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Yes, but that's true of every style of music. I'll probably never sit through a whole Klownhole song because that style is not likely to ever appeal to me, but that's not really a reflection on their talent. Sure there are several people who won't like anything that is rap, but I don't think that goes for the community as a whole. I dunno, you should do a poll and see.
starfinger wrote:i know people tend to focus on the things that apply to themselves, but really there are plenty of "not my things" being thrown around at non hiphop songs too.
(starfinger more succintly beats me to the punch)
Last edited by Kill Me Sarah on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

Post by MC Eric B »

starfinger - Yes, I agree. Hip-hop is just one of the many styles that people here don't like.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

hip hop is one of the many styles that people all over the world don't like!

contrary to your complaints, there's a lot more openmindedness here than other places in the world.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I think the problem is not that we as a community dislike hip hop. I'm not a hip hop hater. Recently I've mostly been listening to Wu Tang, the new El-P album, MF Doom, Del, a lot of really great shit. The problem here is that I have yet to hear a hip hop song on songfight that didn't strike me as incredibly removed from the actual hip hop scene. And nerdcore doesn't fucking count. There have been so many MC whateverthefucks here that have shown little to no knowledge of the rich history they try and represent. And it's fucking lame and annoying. Maybe the people who don't try and make hip hop are at an advantage, because somehow the rich history of rock and roll and folk and electronica has already become saturated with amateurs and imitators, or maybe because rock and roll itself began as an imitation, but we're just recently becoming aware of this new rise of internet hip hop as well as that dividing power of nerdcore, and it all plain stinks, because we aren't hearing the new Wu Tang Clan, we don't have a web-equivalent to Chuck D, we don't have a voice that cuts through all the bullshit. Not here, not on the radio, not anywhere.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Taken from reviews of my recent stuff:

"a respectably-made song from a band which i just don't like."

"adult contemporary? boring"

"Beautiful recording. I hate the song, but it's beautifully done."

"This isn't my style of music at all"

"I think the song's kinda gay.... but you know"

It ain't just hip-hop, and it ain't just poorly-recorded songs. Some people just don't like some stuff. Whaddaya gonna do? Aside from doing what it is you do as well as you can do it, of course.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I have to disagree about NerdCore Senor Slayer. I don't think hip-hop has to imitate it's roots to be good. Frankly, I'm a little sick of the fact that all hip-hop is either a violent, mysogenistic tribute to bling or else it's an angry political tirade. I think hip-hop needs to take itself less seriously and just have fun sometimes. We need mo' Mic Checka.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I didn't say it should imitate, it should at least be aware of. And your analysis of hip hop shows a complete disregard for what it's actually all about. I think you'll find if you listen to any of the rap I just mentioned, and several hundreds of other examples, you'll find that the same themes explored in any genre are dealt with in as mature and well-spoken a manner as any. And who knows more about having fun than the Method Man who's all about "Roll that shit, light that shit smoke that shit, 24/7 guy"?
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

WeaselSlayer wrote:And your analysis of hip hop shows a complete disregard for what it's actually all about.
Yes, I'm sorry I forgot the all important subjects of drinking 40's and smoking chronic in my analysis.

Obviously I'm speaking in generalities. I'm just saying that in my experience finding hip hop that isn't about the types of things I mentioned takes more digging than it ought to. I'm not expecing Mtv to play anything fantastic anytime soon but there need to be more DJ Kools and Biz Markies out there and that stuff is hard to find these days.