Hello? May I speak to the Zero to Phantom Reviews?

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I'm not offended. My too-clever-clever post was to suggest that the only issue I had with your review was grammatical.
creep
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by creep »

Cool then.....I saw that you were a long time member, and I respect that considering that i'm a hatchling. But you have to admit.....that was a damn good fight. Trust me, I'm not in the running. But i'll keep trying to improve every week. That is why we are here right? To improve ourselves? Anyway...peace..and be gentle with me.
America....what's the word?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I really hope you mean "hatchling" in the metaphorical sense.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

The lizard people are here! The lizard people are here!

Oh, and long time poster <> ounce of musical talent.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

j$ wrote:The lizard people are here! The lizard people are here!

Oh, and long time poster <> ounce of musical talent.

....ah... the lizard people. They killed Diana you know.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yes. Shape-shifting baby-eating aliens from the Planet Antares are all around us. Or was it Rigel 6? I forget.

j$
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

It's late and I'm tired, so unfortunately I have to be brief, which means I won't have time to put things nicely. Also I'm not going to review the old songs. My favorite of the old songs was actually MC Short Bus.

& the delicate
Very lo-fi, but at least it's kinda musical. You're mumbling your words too much, for me. Nice harmonica. That shaker is weak. Is that humming in the background? That would be cool. I like "rather be a one" lyric. This is OK, but not really great enough to listen to 2-3 minutes of low-signal-to-noise-ratio recording...

the befores
Yay!! You remind me of an SF band called Stara Nova that had the two singers from the Dance Hall Crashers and had a similar spooky sound. I like this a lot. Nice keyboard stuff in the first part. Cool guitar later on. Good drum loops. I wish the vocals were a little clearer, like they had more of their own space in the mix, frequency-wise. Otherwise great.

creep
I can't understand the first vocal part. The music's alright, but the vocal style isn't really fitting it for me. Some of the lyrics are amusing, especially the "slappin' your dome" bit. The vocals are too lo-fi to mesh well with the music, I think.

deshead
Your vocals sound really odd again. Last time it was pretty obviously serious autotunage, especially the really fake sounding vibratto, which makes a smaller appearance again here in the chorus ("ni-i-i-i-i-ght" ?!) but it's still irksome. Anyway, the music's pretty, the production's good. Your vocal style is a bit over-emotive for me. I like the change of feel in the bridge. Dang, I guess I like this anyway, though it's cheesy. I like the guitar in the outro.

freddielove
Hm, not sure what's up with the intro. The bass is maybe a bit overwhelming, especially when it's just the bass, percussion, and vox. I like the tinkly keyboard sound and the line it's playing. It's taking kind of a long time to get to a new sounding part. OK, almost halfway through and we get a little solo... Ah, there we go. Oh yeah! Now I remember listening to this a couple days ago, because the first thing I thought was that you're using (unintentionally I'm sure) the same chord progression from the verses of Lay Lady Lay by Dylan. Anyway, it's good, but maybe too low-key to keep my interest, and I think the outro is too long or something...

future boy
The music is pretty annoying. This is truly bizarre which I can appreciate. The vocals could stand to sound cleaner, and not flangey. The music is really driving me nuts, and the nasal-y singing is getting to me. Probably the most original take on the title, though, and a good break from the other songs.

hostess mostess
There's something kinda strange musically about the verse part. The bass synth is doing that pentatonic riff, which has a minor third in it, but the vocal melody has a major third in it. It sounds a little weird to me, but that's a really minor nitpick, and it was probably a conscious choice. I like the chorus, though there's some vocal weirdness in there, too. It's got a good retro sound though. I like the way you work the title into the lyrics. The lyrics are pretty good, at least relative to the other songs this fight.

iron clef
Nice band name. Good work meeting the optional challenge, I kinda wish more people had done that. (Hm, I guess Future Boy's entry was in that format, too.) Not really much to this song, though. Meh.

j$
Ah, another 60kbps/mono tune. Crazy lyrics, but I like them. They sort of save this song.

josh woodward
I really wish you'd gone for the optional challenge, because I think it would be a much bigger challenge for you than for other people to limit your entry that way. Something about the way you really enunciate your consonants doesn't sound good to me. (The "Katey" one is so emphasized that it must have been deliberate?) Seems like there are some timing issues in the drums, but kudos for not resorting to techno drums the whole time. The guitars sound good. Your take on the title is pretty good. Oh man, the bridge is straight out of a Van Halen song (I can't remember it's name, but the lyrics are like "she's flying, i'm flying" somethin' somethin'...). The bass sounded OK in the mix, but when it's kind of soloing it sounds a little farty, like it needs to be tighter (compressed more?).

kelvinator
Your vocals seem a little hot (volume/gain wise). Are those harmony vocals autotuned? Is the whole thing autotuned? Dang, that's annoying. Anyway, the music is nice, melodies good, lyrics OK. Acoustics sound good. Nice electric gtr part. I like the transition to a bit heavier sound, I wish that would go a little longer. I really don't like the lead guitar tracks, those pitch bends are all over the place. Next time run the autotuner on those. ;) Seriously, though, everything else is so clean and on pitch that those sound way out of place. Maybe that's deliberate, for all I know.

ken's super etc.
I can't comment on this too much because I played on it, but I can say that I like the song. This will be fun to play live.

the mod k crew
Ah, sounds like another old-school rules entry. Maybe a choir isn't the best pick though when encoding at 60kpbs. Now I remember this from when I listened to it the other day. Sorry, South Park played out the Santa and Jesus thing years ago.

the nipple creek fairies
Hm, another old-style entry? Nice. Those cymbal crashes kinda sound like ass at this encoding rate, though. Is that Hoblit singing? This is OK, but it gets a bit repetitive.

poor june
This also reminds of Van Halen a bit. Ouch, clipping! Clipping = bad. No offense but you sound like you're channeling Eddie Vedder through Scott Weiland through Scott Stapp or something. Very passionate, but not a style I'm into. This also sounds like 60kbps, but so do all your entries unfortunately. (Again, no offense meant.)

tripped
The vocals seem a little low. It might be cool if there were a part where the drums cut out entirely. They're cool but the primary loop is getting a little monotonous. This is Glenn Case, isn't it? Are you scratching State Shirt's sample of his dog? That would be cool. Anyway, the song is kinda meh, sorry.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Geez... I had the most awesome idea for a song for Z2P, alas I got caught up in <a href="http://69.244.191.218:82/media/music/so ... e_live.mp3" parent="_blank">other things</a>. Right-Click << that link and then click "Save Target As..." if you want to download it.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

voted for mc short bus
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

One-Liner Reviews

Post by tonetripper »

Amber Waves of Brain - I almost want to throw myself off a bridge with the pitchy vocals in this song, which isn't a bad thing cuz it's so creepy in the coolest of ways. 8)

& the Delicate Flowers - The subdued essence of the vocals, looming harmonica, ever-present shaker somehow make up for the strong noise floor.

The Befores - This is a great song that will be kept to give to friends of greatest SF tunes according to TT. 8)

Chill Magnets - Even at 64 kbps the noise floor is unbearable.

Creep - When it goes into the singing from the rapping, I'm feeling a little uncomfortable cuz it comes across like an oxymoron to the bad ass mo fo rapper vibe.

Deshead - Great song, awesome production, excellent singing with great words. 8)

Drew - This is a timeless SF song.

Freddie Love - Catchy little ditty with a spring time bounce that makes me smile, but the build with the reverb takes it out of the space that it initially created. 8)

Future Boy - At 64 kbps and mono this rocks with it's casio 80s midiness. 8)

Gilsans and Jonathon - Love the space, the organ, and general jamminess of this piece. 8)

Hostess Mostess - I think this song would have benefitted from being at 64 kbps but has an uncanny resemblance to early Gabriel. 8)

The Iron Clef - Noodle city.

Johnny Cashpoint - Quintessential Cashpoint.

Josh Woodward - Well recorded on the whole with kinda sloppy guitar work and leaves me feeling nothing.

Kelvinator - Good song with all the right hooks to carry it, especially for top 40 radio. 8)

Kens Super Duper Band n Stuff - The voices sound great and I especially love the lead guitar work combined with the minimal percussion handclapping. 8)

Kompressor - 32 kbps and I love it for the AM quality, but when the yelling comes in it kinda bites to the point of embarrassment. :oops:

MC Shortbus - 32 kbps good bad ass rap especially the spoken hook of the title. 8)

Metal Mags - Not a bad song just not what I feel for the title.

ModKCrew - Like a psychadelic enhanced religious ceremony. 8)

Narbotic - Nice hook for the title, but not really grabbing me.

Nipple Creek Fairies - Country hoe down nuttiness that just doesn't stop giving. 8)

Poor June - Sometimes jamming is better kept to yourself.

Prickly Pears - I'm not sure the pears are all that tasty in the end. 8)

Tripped - Good break beats but starts to sound a little too much like the tune "Murder".

So in the end it's coming down to Deshead and The Befores. Both were excellent submissions. Best I've heard in a while. Kelvinator was pretty good but a little too sugar-coated for me. Ken and Co. was a good track, but the depth created by Deshead and The Befores took it out of the running. I'll be listening again to make my choice.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Lunkhead wrote:Oh man, the bridge is straight out of a Van Halen song (I can't remember it's name, but the lyrics are like "she's flying, i'm flying" somethin' somethin'...)
She's blinding, I'm flying,
Right behind the rear-view mirror now.
Got the feeling, power steering,
Pistons popping,
ain't no stopping now! ...

Heh. (But no, not really)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Lunkhead wrote: tripped
The vocals seem a little low. It might be cool if there were a part where the drums cut out entirely. They're cool but the primary loop is getting a little monotonous. This is Glenn Case, isn't it? Are you scratching State Shirt's sample of his dog? That would be cool. Anyway, the song is kinda meh, sorry.
Yeah, it's probably not my best stuff, I just had to get it out of my system. I threw it together in about an hour.

As far as the scratching, I decided to scratch the record that was on my turntable at that time. That album is Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees". Not sure what song it was on though.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

& the delicate flowers
It would have worked great in 64K. And while it's totally my kind of song, this take didn't grab me, I think 'cause of the production. The chick-shake was loud, and everything was panned center, so there was no real separation. More songs in the style are encouraged, though :)

Creep
This is great, though I'll admit I'm not a fan of the genre. Your voice (or whatever you did with it) suits the song perfectly. I think if you spread things out a bit more in the stereo field, it would sound more dynamic. Good job, though.

Deshead
No vote from me, dude. I saw you at the movies with my wife last weekend.

FreddieLove
Nice and tight. You use your voice really well! The bass was loud for me, but you may have been going for that (and it sounds awesome in headphones.) I know this is a good song, though I'm not sure if I find it catchy. Have to see if it gets stuck in my head.

Future Boy
Best lyrics of the week! And you produced it perfectly for 64K.

Hostess Mostess
This is great. I love the chorus, the vocal performance is awesome.

Iron Clef
Bonus production points for the 64K challenge. Not much else grabbed me, though. The vocal effect was ... distracting.

Johnny Cashpoint
Props for the 64K. I like the song O.K., but I bet it would kick ass done full-band Kinks-style.

Josh Woodward
Impressive lyric, great take on the SF title. And the production's solid. I disagree with Lunkhead, though, about the acoustic drums: I think the song would be tighter with a drum loop in back.

Kelvinator
Bloody fantastic. You were goin' for Teenage Fanclub, right? The lead guitar sounds like it can't make up its mind at times, but that could grow on me. Man, I love this.

Ken's Super Duper Band n' Stuff
Wow, you write perfectly for your voice. And I always love your harmonies. This song has the best hook of the fight.

Poor June
I wish I could convey passion the way you do. Great pickup on the melody for the chorus ... Pity about the clipping, but hey, that doesn't change your performance!

The Befores
It's got just about everything a good song needs, without sounding mainstream. But I'm not sure if it has a hook. And as much as I enjoyed the song, the bass-heavy production and over-compression through the bridge kinda killed it for me. All that said, I think this is the song to beat. It's different enough to grab people, and warrant repeated listens, but not so different that it's inaccessible.

The Mod K Crew
64K bonus, but there's not much else going on here, is there? It's all about the lyrics, so I wish they were clearer. Maybe less echo, and more mid frequencies.

The Nipple Creek Fairies
Yeehaw! I dig the "hey", and the killer 64K production. The cymbal crash gets predictable, but that could be on purpose. And when I'm drunk, it helps me find my place. I need help to find my place when I'm drunk.

tripped
Great vocal. (Ah, on preview, it's Glenn Case.) Not my thing, but my hat's off to your superior 64k mono talents.

Amber Waves of Brain Ack!
Chili Magnets Funny lyric. Good for a one-time listen
Drew No-brainer why this won. Doesn't have a chance this time, tho
Gil Sans & Jonathan It's The Animals, drunk of their faces in a Reno lounge.
Kompressor 32Kbps super-bonus!!! The hyper-distored yelling kinda kills it, though.
MC Short Bus Yeah, it's ok. No real hook, is there?
MetalMags I so would have voted for this back in the day. Lifted straight from Homestarrunner.com, with Marzipan singing.
Narbotic Meh, Syd Barrett doesn't do anything for me either.
Prickly Pears This cracks me up

What an awesome SongFight. If I voted 4 times, it'd be for Ken&Co., Future Boy, Hostess Mostess, and Kelvinator.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

amberwavesofbrain: uhm... it is ok... i really don't know what to say for it... it is kinda bland...

& the delicate flowers: the vocals should've been sung out more... i like some of the stuff goin' on quite a lot... but wished it would've been sung a lil' more fully... or the vocals brought up some...
all and all it's pretty good

befores: this is insanely well produced... i like it a lot... i can't say what i'd change... maybe the length... but it is pretty good if you are in a mellow low mood... you have a beautiful voice 2...
tops

chili magnet: hahahaha... i'm enjoying this in a funny sort of way... love the humor of it

creep: it's really good for electronica... if i was more into electronica i'd love this song... really good stuff
tops

deshead: ok this is great... at some points the vocals remind me of eve 6's singer.... very awesome... and i love the louder sung parts... very beautiful... and the music fits it so well... at the moment i'm fighting with myself over voting for this... or kel. very tough choice...
but this is amazing great stuff \m/... (you don't perhaps record at southwests studio do you?) (and i'm keeping this song)
dude amazing

drew: it's good in a light sort of way... hahaha ok i'm diggin' the way you're rhyming... that's hilarious... \m/... i don't have nothin' i can really say to it... it's entertaining

freddilove: this is probably one of my favorite songs by you... atleast fave that i've heard... sort of has an Eels feel to it with the toy piano huge fan... or 'e' feel but not sure if you've heard of E...
your vox are dif... but very awesome vocals... i like how you did this... (not sure if i would've added the last bit, still really good)tops...

futureboy: this is really good for what it is... really upbeat electronica... just not really my thing... i couldn't think of nothing wrong with it... it's toe tappin' haha

gilsans&johnathan: this is pretty... the beginning carries a bit... the little guitar riffs are pretty cool... i really dig that...
not much of a song full song... but has some really good stuff goin' on...

hostessmostess: you have a nice voice... i'm not sure about the electronica... sounds really good for what it is... i really dug your older stuff better... but i guess i like natural sort of music a lot...
but this still is really good... and still earns a top...

theironclef: wow a lot of electronica this week... it's interesting... not a whole lot i can say to most electronica... i'm not very huge into it... it's cool... the vocal effects are a lil' annoying... but i can't think of a way they could've been done better...
all and all not bad for what it is \m/

johnny: gotta give ya props with stayin' with the challenge... the guitar riff is catchy... but sort of... underpar... needs more to it... and i'm glad you went natural instruments... \m/... not your strongest song though

joshwoodward: i like your vocals in this song... glad the electronica thing didn't stay throughout the whole song... it was a really smooth transition which was really cool... not my fave by you... but still very good... \m/ tops

kelvinator: you are deffinately the most improved fighter... this is so much better then the other song... and i'm really impressed... and i love this... and it's hard for me to choose between this and deshead...
this is a keeper... i love this song 'alot'... really awesome

ken'ssuperduperbandandstuff: i'm not sure about the clappin'... it's cool... but kinda takes away from the music... but i love the music itself... beautiful stuff... nice vocals... really well produced... tops

kompressor: it's pretty good beat/and electronica like speaking... but not big on the repeating of the title... just so it would fit the fight...
that would be an easy way to make a fight.... i'll have to keep that in mind ;-)

mcshortbus: actually really good rapping... the production is really bad... if the production was better... it'd be killer... kinda gets a bit repetitive after a bit

metalmags: you have a beautiful voice... sort of video game like music... it's pretty good stuff... wish it was a lil' louder... but really awesome for what it is...
but not really my thing

modkcrew: love the choir thing goin' on... very gregorian sounding... not sure about the effects on the voice talking... but it's deffinately funny
hahahaha not right man

narbotics: guitar is out of tune... and very bland...

nipplecreekfairies: i just have to ask... did y'all actually make this music!?!?... cause that's pretty awesome...
if it's real y'all get a tops... if not... well i'm disappointed...

me: ehhh basically just pressed record... and made it all up... i had to sing it from across the room... still didn't help with the clipping... should've actually probably tried to make something better production wise... but i didn't care 2... i only made it like a couple hours before the fight...
i didn't plan on doin' it... but i felt like it...
sorry to those that take it as a real ear sore... but ehhh i'm not unhappy with the song itself... i'm just not happy with how it's done production wise... and to those that keep makin' the scott stapp eddie veddar sort of comments... really doesn't bother me that bad... i don't see me sounding anything like 'em... but ehhh... at the sametime i don't hate the vocal styling... i just don't do it on purpose...

pricklypears: wished the screaming was just a tiny bit louder then the guitar hahaha... but hahahahahaha... that's great... in a 'different' sort of way that is hahahahaha

tripped: this is ok... it's got nice production... good vocals... just not really feeling it...

finally!!! that was a long long long fight...

anyways top 5...
5. freddilove
4. the befores
3. ken'ssuperduperbandandstuff
2. deshead
1. kelvinator

that was a tough choice between des and kel... but i had to go with kel... the song kept me intriqued the whole time... and was really surprising difference from last weeks... this was such an obscenely good fight...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

ok, out of principle i only reviewed the new songs not the old entries. that principle is sloth.

creep - interesting vocal effect, but even with the mangling the vox need to be up and hold the center. the loop gets a bit repetitive after a while.

deshead - i love the unusual instrumentation and particularly the drums. good vocals too, nice transitions from low to high register. the songwriting and production overall are superb. guitar solo is pretty good but could use less reverb/delay. the stereo tremolo on the rhodes makes me a bit queasy.

kelvinator - this is a lesson in melody - so many songs these days lack a decent melody. the 7th at the start of the second verse is freakin brilliant. excellent song dynamics hold the listener's interest. also, the guitar tone of both the acoustic and electric is probably the best i've heard on songfight.

freddielove - for some reason i always like songs with bells and this one is no exception. cool transition in the bridge, that really lifts the song and the outro is also mucho nice. groovy, baby.

futureboy - i dig this man. entirely disposable just like pop should be and lots of fun.

hostess mostess - lo fi electronica - is that an oxymoron or what? this works and it's certainly original.

ironclef - doesn't really hold my interest. there's nothing really outstanding going on to latch on to.

johnnycashpoint - blame my short attention span on listening to too many slickly produced songs, but this just doesn't hold my interest. what can i say, i am a product of my generation. if there were some ususual changes or dynamics in there i might warm up to it more.

joshw - hey, this is something i haven't heard from josh before. the electronica intro is cool as well as the angst in the electric guitar parts and vocals. it's great to see experimentation, excellent stuff, keep it up man.

& the delicate flowers - this has some nice moments, it's just that the whole songs sonds like the intro. i kept waiting for the bass and drums to kick in and really lift the song.

ken's super duper - this is a very well put together song from lyrics to production. good melody throughout. i really enjoyed this.

modkcrew - evil chants sound promising, but it never really goes anywhere.

tripped - hey this sounds pretty good for mono 64k! to me, the song is too busy throughout. it's good to have dense beats in places but you need to mix it up otherwise you can lose the impact. basically, this just needs some more variety in the dynamics and arrangement.

poorjune - nice intro, i just wish it developed into a more complete song. the signal is way too hot there on the vox, loads of clipping going on.

nipple creek fairies - lots of horrible digital aliasing going on in the downconversion. i wish it wasn't 64k because otherwise it's a pretty good and fun song. are the instruments (except drums) real? if so you get major pointage.

the befores - always a pleasure working with the talented zareen. i hope i can talk her into doing the songfight show in december.

it's going to come down to deshead and kelvinator. deshead has impressive production value and great command of dynamics, but on the other hand kelvinator has a killer melody that sticks in my head.

other honourable mentions are joshw, freddie love and ken's super duper. great fight!
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

new tunes reviews. take with a grain of salt.

& and the delicate flowers (128k stereo)
maybe there's a compelling reason the eggshaker is so much louder than everything else that i'm not aware of. harmonica is nice, at least what i can hear of it. i like the arrangement and idea, just with a bit less salt and pepper.

the befores (160k stereo)
terrific singing. overall backing mix is nice but seems to be thunderingly loud. sounds like something i could see christina aguilara doing. shows talent but i'm not that big on the mix. but great torch singing.

creep (128k stereo)
the backing mix is pretty good but the rap sounds so wonder bread white boy it hurts. and rappers don't croon, at least none i've heard.

deshead (160k stereo)
really beautiful intro. that piano is excellent. nice eggshaker too. this is really well done. the vocal delivery is a bit too emo-tional for me. but the production and playing on this is solid. the only problem is that the whole package sounds like so many things i've heard before. in fact, the whole arrangement sounds completely lifted from seal's kissed by a rose song.

freddie love (128k stereo)
this is good. pretty original. makes me think a modern version of antonio carlos jobim doing lay lady lay. great singing and playing. very nice. i like it. the outro section with vox and acoustic is really pretty but doesn't seem to feel right with the first part. i'd almost say you would be better off lopping that off into another song (it's really nice though!!)

future boy (64K mono)
man, i just knew you would pull off some crazy ass shit in 64k mono. and you didn't disappoint me. awesome. you pull this off perfectly. i love that fat ass farty bass patch. yar!

hostess mostess (128k stereo)
really awesome doubled vox. you the zen mastah in that dept. the whole production is really solid and well done. great tune. it's got some nice hooks, some of which you creat with your singing. reminds me of old peter gabriel era genesis

the iron clef (64k mono)
this is me.

johnny cashpoint (64k mono)
man, i'm really digging this. it sounds like something straight out of the midlate 60's british invasion. it actually sounds dated! i think the 64k mono on this really adds to the feel you were going for. this is really excellent j$

josh woodward (147k stereo)
"boring-ass 1-4-5 watchtower chord progression" :roll:
well, it's new for you! but your production is always stellar. your guitar playing is great on this too.

kelvinator (128k stereo)
wow, who are you? this is really good. very solid effort. very solid.

ken (128k stereo)
really excellent production and performance. very catchy melody too. excellent. nice slide guitar there too! and real hand claps always are a good thing.

mod k crew (64k stereo duh)
the intro was a cool buildup but the payoff never came.

nipple creek fairies (64k mono)
holy crap, that's hoblit singing country with somebody. this is also awesome. i totally love this, although that splash gets kind of annoying after awhile.

poor june (128k stereo)
i like what you were going for but i almost wish you had toned it down a bit, made it more subdued and sublime. i think that would have worked better for the sort of mix you were looking for. i think the way you play and sing loudly hurts the mix. going more low key would have worked better for me. your mix sounds 64k mono even though it's not ;)

tripped (64k mono)
i really dig this. pretty good full mix for 64k mono. and i like the bad ass bass.

faves: future boy, hostess, j$, kelvinator, ken, deshead, freddielove, nipple creek, tripped.
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

jack shite wrote:i really dig this. pretty good full mix for 64k mono. and i like the bad ass bass.
you should hear the full-bitrate stereo version! in fact, anybody who is not in love with this song should hear the stereo version, it really adds a lot.

and when you consider that this was just thrown together in an hour (and like half of that hour was spent talking to me -- i.e. "okay i got the basic beat put together; this is turning out pretty good!") i have to say, a job very well done, mr. case!

(btw, full reviews forthcoming, sometime within the next couple days)
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

yeah, i know how fast glenn can come up with a finished song ;)
Hi!
creep
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by creep »

sounds white bread white boy....ummmm maybe thats because i'm white and have no aspiration to be anything different. Rappers don't croon at least none i've ever heard? Isn't that the point of writing music? To create something different. Maybe i'm not going for that crappy sound thats on urban radio right now......ya think?
America....what's the word?
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Re: .....

Post by Kapitano »

creep wrote:sounds white bread white boy....ummmm maybe thats because i'm white and have no aspiration to be anything different.
Hey, I'm a middle-class white gay overweight british male with an RP accent and a couple of art degrees. And I rap sometimes.
Rappers don't croon at least none i've ever heard?
Didn't Puff Daddy try to croon in the Godzilla theme? It was cringemaking. Really really awful.
Isn't that the point of writing music? To create something different.
Ah, we have that debate periodically on songfight. Is it better to be inventive and fail (Down With Gender) or unimaginative and successful (Josh Woodward)?. To my knowledge, no one here has ever changed their initial opinion.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Re: .....

Post by tonetripper »

creep wrote:sounds white bread white boy....ummmm maybe thats because i'm white and have no aspiration to be anything different. Rappers don't croon at least none i've ever heard? Isn't that the point of writing music? To create something different. Maybe i'm not going for that crappy sound thats on urban radio right now......ya think?
I think, although I didn't state it in my review cuz I don't have time to incite production notes these days, you would have benefitted by breaking up the singing with the rapping. It seems as though it was done in one take and the movement in your voice from the rapping to the singing is a little weak. Maybe if they were seperate tracks the didactic approach you were searching for would have been better presented. Maybe double up the singing. Overlap the rapping. I could hear you thinking about how you were going to go into the singing from the rapping when I heard your song which seems to sound uninspired. Rap is anything but uninspired. No one here is disputing trying things differently, in fact I would like to think it is encouraged, but the rapping is pretty wonder bread and the movement to singing or crooning only emphasizes that. Just my two cents.
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

jack shite wrote:sounds like something i could see christina aguilara doing.
i've heard some pretty strong comments on songfight before but this one takes the cake. from what i know about that particular artist, i translate this to mean, "awful, trite and predictable music, sung by a slut". could you elaborate?